http://www.gearwire.com/steinberg-MR816-snamm-2008.html

Includes 8 pres, and on-board DSP effects, etc. Holy crap... looks cool.

So much versatility..... I just might ditch my mixer. It will do everything I use my mixer to do.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Looks like a very nice set of interfaces they are coming out with. I hope it becomes a popular unit, it looks like it should work very well. The style looks killer as well.

A multi output mixer is still good to have around to put out separate mixes for the artists but if you have no need for that you could in fact run without a mixer with this interface. Although a control board would be a nice add-on.
Hmm...it really depends on the pricing. It's very competitive for 8 input Firewire interfaces even in the under $1000 range. This does seem like they're trying to duplicate MOTU's successful forays into hardware and integration with Digital Performer. I'm not impressed with the few hardware channel inserts though...there should be one per channel no matter what DSP is available.

And moody, I doubt that people are going to abandon faders when controlling DAW software. Especially if there's really interesting stuff like Euphonix MC Control.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
@TSMusic - Yeah, Steinberg hasn't had the best track record when it comes to their hardware.

These quotes here from a Steinberg rep on the Cubase.net site:

"They're manufactured at Yamaha's Hamamatsu plant, as someone already mentioned. And that really shows in the build quality; the manufacturing quality is very high. .... These products are fully ours, meaning Steinberg and Yamaha. These are not third party, subcontracted or OEM products, as was the case with previous Steinberg hardware. And I think that's going to show in terms of reliability and quality. It certainly does in terms of functionality, because personally I just can't see these kinds of AI functions being achievable with subcontracted products. So it's certainly a different set of circumstances, parameters. But we do definitely need to establish a new track record, and from what I've seen of these products so far, they look like they can deliver on that. Time and the customer will tell "

@moody - which is exactly why I have my mixer now, among other things. However, the way this unit integrates into the Cubase Control Room, you can have seperate cue mixes for performers with effects (printed to record or not) with near-zero latency, as made possible by the on-board DSP.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.