3 hours a day everyday

Scales-10 mins
Music Theory-20 mins
Speed Exercises-30 mins
Sweeping Exercises-30 mins
Tapping Exercises-30 mins
Sliding Exercises(not slide guitar, but sliding notes because I'm sloppy with that)-30 mins
Improvision-30 mins
If it works for you that's all that matters.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Haven't done it yet so that's why I'm asking if it's good like that. Anything I can add or replace?

BTW with music theory that also includes practicing chords
Wow you have a schedule. do you have a drill sergeant too? =P
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
I think u should put aside some time to warm up aswell, unless u incorperate that with ur scale exercises. Also i reckon u should spend some time learnin a song, gives u a break from playing exercises all the time. whatever works for u
Hi there
umm how about RHYTHM GUITAR? HMM????
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I wasn't aware that Eric Cartman was a UGer.

He said that about me

Quote by JBecker=SHREDDA
I think u should put aside some time to warm up aswell, unless u incorperate that with ur scale exercises. Also i reckon u should spend some time learnin a song, gives u a break from playing exercises all the time. whatever works for u

I do a few warm up exercises when I first pick up the guitar so I didn't include that

Ya after the 3 hours are done I'll just spend the rest of my free time learning a song and just fooling around
Quote by rokknrollldude
umm how about RHYTHM GUITAR? HMM????

What about it? I'm getting my timing in with the theory and I will be practicing a few base/bar chords that my teacher gave me so I know that and can play them well.

Unless I should be doing something for this also?
Quote by init24
dude schedule?
ure letting ureself be controlled

Bro I'm starting to fall behind on stuff because I spend too much time on one thing. Lately I haven't practiced MT and it's been hurting me bad. I need this schedule.
You forgot the part where you realize that playing guitar is supposed to be fun. Not scheduled repetitive exercises
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
all those techniques seem like they're aimed at a certain type of playing

maybe something a little different

are you practicing a variety of scales, or just a handful?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by Prog_Metal
I do a few warm up exercises when I first pick up the guitar so I didn't include that

Ya after the 3 hours are done I'll just spend the rest of my free time learning a song and just fooling around

how much free time do you have?!? haha it def sounds good, I could just never do it, I dont have the patience for a set schedule...prob why its taken so long to get to where I am, but I've enjoyed every day of it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by Doodleface
You forgot the part where you realize that playing guitar is supposed to be fun. Not scheduled repetitive exercises

For me getting better at guitar IS fun. I can't play too many songs right now either so why not practice exercises?
Quote by ifeastonbums
all those techniques seem like they're aimed at a certain type of playing

maybe something a little different

are you practicing a variety of scales, or just a handful?

Well I mostly listen to Prog Metal and Tech DM so I guess you could say that

For scales the plan is to learn one and when I can play it easily without having to think about it I move to another one
Last edited by Prog_Metal at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by nemjeff13
how much free time do you have?!? haha it def sounds good, I could just never do it, I dont have the patience for a set schedule...prob why its taken so long to get to where I am, but I've enjoyed every day of it

Usually if I don't play video games 5-6 hours a day
I'm all for schedules; I've been using a very loose one for the past couple of years and I can't say I haven't improved noticably. If you can stick to your schedule, and you are having fun, then by all means do it. **** what anyone on here has to say!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
sounds alot better than alot of the practices routines that other people post. 3 hours a day sounds like a good not too much not a slacker scheduele.

I never practiced anything on a routine everyday, i just sort of played with alot of people, spent alot of time playing alone.. eventually it just came together for me, i dont really think its something you should force more than 3 hours a day, aslong as you're having fun and not playing by yourself all day long i think its fine.

TBH you'll learn 1000X more playing with other, better musicians than you ever will playing in your room by yourself.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Put some time in for chords.

I practice it with music theory time
Scales, Improv, Sliding technique, Sweeps, and tapping all follow the same thing really, you should try

30 minutes with a metronome, chord contruction, understanding where to throw in what chords in what progression/ as far a major or minor.. i don't know i just get the vibe reading that that you're trying to do too much at one time
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
sounds alot better than alot of the practices routines that other people post. 3 hours a day sounds like a good not too much not a slacker scheduele.

I never practiced anything on a routine everyday, i just sort of played with alot of people, spent alot of time playing alone.. eventually it just came together for me, i dont really think its something you should force more than 3 hours a day, aslong as you're having fun and not playing by yourself all day long i think its fine.

TBH you'll learn 1000X more playing with other, better musicians than you ever will playing in your room by yourself.

Well I do impro with my teacher when I have lessons if that counts

Other then that I'm pretty much soloing lol
It sounds like you want to be a stereotypical shredder. How does one do tap for 30 minutes? For that matter, how does one do sliding exercises for 30 minutes? If you could maintain this for more than 3 days, you would be a much better man than I.

It's good that you're setting aside time to warm up with scales, and it's very good that you're setting aside time for improvisation. Make sure that you're not just noodling when working on improvisation; make use of Guitar Pro or PowerTab to create backing tracks to play along to, or download backing tracks from the internet.

Studying music theory is different from studying chords. Either set aside more time for music theory, or set aside a specific period just for chords. Chords are the most important thing you will ever learn, so do it right.
known as Jeff when it really matters
Quote by titopuente
It sounds like you want to be a stereotypical shredder. How does one do tap for 30 minutes? For that matter, how does one do sliding exercises for 30 minutes? If you could maintain this for more than 3 days, you would be a much better man than I.

It's good that you're setting aside time to warm up with scales, and it's very good that you're setting aside time for improvisation. Make sure that you're not just noodling when working on improvisation; make use of Guitar Pro or PowerTab to create backing tracks to play along to, or download backing tracks from the internet.

Studying music theory is different from studying chords. Either set aside more time for music theory, or set aside a specific period just for chords. Chords are the most important thing you will ever learn, so do it right.

For tap I'm learning this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG_s3JCk5Ms

For slide I'm learning this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFinGwRzfg8&feature=related

Are there any chords you think I should learn? I have a few that my teacher has given me but he hasn't given me any new ones in a long ass time.
Quote by :-D
You really should also devote plenty of time to learning how to play a solid rhythm guitar.

What exactly can I do for this?
If this works for you then fantastic, just remember that while it is good to have a structure nothing is set in stone, if you really get into one of the areas and feel like doing it for longer than the stated time then go for it, you'l learn more than switching to another technique just because the scedule says so.

To me it seems like there's a little bit too much going on to really get a grasp of what you intend to study in your routine.

I've always preffered practising certain things for longer and getting it down perfectly rather than practising it for shorter periods of time over a week or two and still having inperfections even if you are faster.

Just be really analytical about your routine when your trying it out, if it feels like you've been working on slides or sweeps for too long, you probably have, move onto something else and come back to it later.
Your practise scedule should grow and evlove with you so your constantly practising the right techniques too improve.

If you have a way of recording yourself (sound or prefferably video) set up a jam track at the end of each week and apply the techniques you've learn't to improvise a solo, afterwards watch/listen back to it and really critisise it.
What are you doing right? What are you doing wrong? Are you keeping the movements as effecient as you do in practise ect ect.
Perhaps post the video up on here and allow others to comment constructivly, this will really help you nail the imperfections (if any) in your playing as an experianced eye/ear may well pick up on things you wouldn't even notice, this was one of the things that really helped my playing.
After analising your week points add more exercises that focus on those areas for the next weeks practise.

Rinse and repeat.

While your routine isn't a scedule i would follow it may work for you, be it improving your technique ten fold or alteast giving you the inspiration and drive to continue practising and not lose track.

Either way best of luck and always enjoy what your doing.

edit - (nearly forgot :-P) Remember to switch up the order of the routine through out the week(s) work through it backwards, inside out ect ect, just to keep your fingers guessing.
Quote by bass guy 129
six hundred. sorry. im from maine and we dont talk no good none up hurr
Last edited by IdeLOLogies at Aug 3, 2008,
Quote by Prog_Metal
3 hours a day everyday

Scales-10 mins
Music Theory-20 mins
Speed Exercises-30 mins
Sweeping Exercises-30 mins
Tapping Exercises-30 mins
Sliding Exercises(not slide guitar, but sliding notes because I'm sloppy with that)-30 mins
Improvision-30 mins

don't forget that your playing a musical instrument.
shred is gaudy music
I think that schedule is the ****. And dont listen to the artards saying that you shouldnt be in a controlled situation "it should be fun". You will NEVER get good unless you dedicate yourself to a schedule like this. If learning advanced guitar techniques were fun we would all be shred gods...ya know?
again, i think that's a really good schedule. just try to be more specific with what you actually want to achieve and then build on it as you go. what are speed exercises? legato, tapping, hybrid picking, alt picking, sweep picking, economy picking, all of those fall under techniques that could be incorporated into speed exercises. further more, you can incorporate different scale sequences, melodies, rhythms, string skips into each.
Quote by razorback84
I think that schedule is the ****. And dont listen to the artards saying that you shouldnt be in a controlled situation "it should be fun". You will NEVER get good unless you dedicate yourself to a schedule like this. If learning advanced guitar techniques were fun we would all be shred gods...ya know?

I'd beg to differ. Marty Friedman only ever practiced an hour a day unless he was jamming with someone or in a band, and even when he practiced his hour a day he would usually learn songs and such.

To learn scales and music theory one can take a class and get an hour and a half of music theory a day. As for speed and advanced techniques the key is to learn songs that CHALLENGE you, don't learn songs you will be able to play right away learn songs that you must repeat the licks over and over again.

That being said of course it is necessary to practice advanced techniques and scales a bit so that you can memorize them all over the fretboard but not everyone needs a set schedule. Some people get their essays done in a day no matter what the time required for turning in the essays other's wait until the last minute (these are the people who need a schedule.)

If I were to be hearing practice exercises for 2 and a half hour before improvising I think my improvising would sound way too much like practice exercises.

Of course if this works for you, then go for it.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by S-Gsus
Wow you have a schedule. do you have a drill sergeant too? =P

lol
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic