When you put in new strings of the same gauge, is there supposed to be a fair bit of fret buzz?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
when you change string guages, you should always expect to have to mess with the action and intonation on your guitar. i had to make radical changes to my action when i changed from .10s to .09s on my strat.
Pretty much all new strings will have buzz when they are new, they will start to dull after a while don't worry, but it's perfectly normal.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
i'll agree with these guys. you get fret buzz almost ANY time you change strings. if you change string gauges at all, you will most definitely get fret buzz. give them a couple days to settle in and then adjust the action. then give them a couple days to settle in and adjust the action again.
yes especially if you've taken off all the strings. and if the bridge tension as changed.
(possibly lifted)

lighter string pull less on the headstock. the neck straightens.
heavy strings pull harder, more bow.

takng off the strings and the neck can spring back, backbow.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, but doesn't that require leaving the guitar stringless for a few days at least?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
no. really depnds on the guitar. but most of the time, you'll see straightening to different degrees.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Ya I just switched strings on my guitar too, went from .11s i think to 10s but ya I'm getting fret buzz pretty bad, should I adjust the truss rod or the saddles to set the action?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
depends on where the buzz is.

it's easier to raise action at the bridge, but generally speaking, if the buzzing is on the first few frets it usually wont help.

what frets and what strings?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

uh pretty much every string, every fret, though some frets are less noticeable than others
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by sg dude 38
when you change string guages, you should always expect to have to mess with the action and intonation on your guitar. i had to make radical changes to my action when i changed from .10s to .09s on my strat.

+1. I was getting so much fret buzz switching from 10 to 9's that i had to udjust my action considerably.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
how long should it take for the fret buzz to go away? a few hours of playing?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
honestly, it might not.

like i said, how you change the strings and string gauge changes can cause buzzing.

fret the low E on the first fret. at the same time,
fret the low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet

with both places held, look at the middles frets. 7-9th

if the string lays on the fretwire there then you dont have enought bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, then you have too much bend

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
takng off the strings and the neck can spring back, backbow.

I was under the impression that that only happens if you leave the guitar stringless for a considerable amount of time. It's supposed to be fine to just take all the strings off and replace them all in one sitting. I certainly do it all the time, and it's never messed with my guitar's set-ups.
happens all the time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62