I used to scoff at the idea of using a multi effects unit in my guitar setup for a number of reasons: separate pedals generally give you more parameters to alter in order to get the exact sound you’re looking for, better tone, and if one craps the bed, you don’t have to replace everything, just the one. While these aspects retain a steadfast grip in my psyche, I’ve recently had a strong change of heart.

I’ve covered some of the benefits to the separate pedal logic, now here are some of the pains in the rear that a good multi effects unit effectively subverts: patch cables, powering a million pedals with adapters or even worse, batteries, setup time, high PRICE, and shear mass (which can count for a lot after you just got done playing your behind off for an hour or two and you’d much prefer to DIE than carry heavy things).

The Line 6 POD xt Live is a multi effects unit / preamp that sounds incredible, offers SERIOUS flexibility, connects ingeniously to either a Mac or PC, allows you to store a LOT of user presets that are alterable on the fly, and is tough as nails (a feature I look for FIRST when buying anything as I’m REALLY rough on everything in my life, myself included).

Sound is the reason we guitar players even deal with all the technical garbage in the first place, and the xt Live has it in spades. The amp models that come pre-installed on the unit (more models can be purchased from Line 6) are both myriad and convincing. I was SHOCKED the first time I heard a user made preset labeled “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” My Strat with it’s bolt on neck, alder body and single coil pickups, sounds like Slash’s Les Paul in the front pickup position. I mean it REALLY sounds like the song!! I expected to hear some really half-a****, use-your-imagination kind of sounds in this thing, but it can really nail a lot of really good, famous tones.

Aside from the typical chorus, flange, distortion, reverb, and phaser effects you tend to find on multi effects units, the version I purchased came equipped with a variety of guitar synths, harmonizers, and Whammy style pitch bending abilities that take your sonic palette places you never knew existed. it’s also a GREAT source of inspiration as drastically different new tones call for radically altered playing.

This thing is getting too long to read, let alone right so I’ll finish up. Connecting the unit to a PC allows you to change and create sounds on screen without digging through the functional, yet somewhat tedious menus on the bard (though they’re pretty intuitive compared to other devices I’ve owned). The metal chassis and tough buttons make it road worthy to say the least. There’s a “roll bar” type of piece that keeps clumsy feet from turning knobs and pressing things they shouldn’t be pressing. Add in the fact that it has global settings for playing through a combo amp, into a PA, or a computer make the xt Live a no brainer. Why didn’t I think of this sooner?

YMMV

Brettski
I think I want one too. I don`t know what people mean by digital sounding its sounds so awsome.

DO you think the x3 is worth $100 than the xt?
Last edited by Steel8909 at Aug 2, 2008,
I have the studio one (non-live), and I agree with you. It's a mint piece of equipment.
I don't really use some of the amp models, but if I need my high gain fix, there's a few amp models which sound pretty good. I love it's extensive tweakability.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Steel8909
I think I want one too. I don`t know what people mean by digital sounding its sounds so awsome.

DO you think the x3 is worth $100 than the xt?

Yes
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
If the X3 is like the Xt Live . More is better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
got my pod XT almost half a year ago.

sounds AWESOME direct. and indispensable tool in silent home recording.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Personally I found the XTL too digital and fizzy compared with some of the others on the market but we all have our individual tastes so if you love it, I'm very pleased for you and I hope it gives you many years of pleasure.

Happy playing
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Personally I found the XTL too digital and fizzy compared with some of the others on the market but we all have our individual tastes so if you love it, I'm very pleased for you and I hope it gives you many years of pleasure.

Happy playing

True if you really really listen to the sound very carefully. Listening through a mic will help it. IMO, it is not good for recording. My friend had the gt-8 and have the podx3 and I really don't like his recordings. They all sound the same. However, playing live with it will you give you superb sounds. Great buy.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

While I haven't used it to record yet, I have a good friend who uses the Guitarport very regularly with astounding results. He has incredible ears and really makes it sing.

As far as the x3 goes, I have no idea. I read some really unfavorable reviews of it on harmony central, but that just might be people who recently bought the xtl and don't wanna feel like they DON'T have the latest and greatest.

I've found that one can usually get 90% of the features for 50% of the price, and that's pretty much the relationship between the x3 and xt.

Does the xtl sound as good as my Triple Rec with an mxr phase 90, a DD-5, crybaby 535q, and a TC electronics chorus? No, but ut sure ie a HELL of a lot more convenient, versatile, and my sounds are all portable with the xtl. It sounds relatively the same through most amps I've used it with.

As far as the xtl vs. other multi effects units, it comes down to personal preference. I didn't need the tube in the tonelabs pedal because I'm playing the line 6 through tube amps, also I'll be playing acoustic through it and plan on getting a Roland JC-120 for a distinctly NON-tube sound (tubes make my piezo sound like a strat).