Just got a guitar today and the guy at the store told me a little about Drop D tuning and how it makes it a little easier to learn. I also grabbed a song book that uses Drop D, but how commonly is it used? As a noob, is this a good idea to use?
Its not a good idea to use drop d unless you already know your basic chords at least. Its mainly used in modern rock stuff, and post-hardcore like Underoath.
Drop D is great for certain songs. The entire Linkin Park catalog comes to mind as does most of anything Alice in Chains ever did. It makes playing "power chords" rooted on the sixth string easier to play, plus it gives you the ability to play notes a whole step lower than one could on a standard tuned guitar.

Don't be afraid to explore new tunings, but knowing your way around the standard tuned guitar is absolutely necessary. Drop D doesn't make playing guitar easier, in fact, it makes playing scales a real pain in the neck as all of your fingerings will need special consideration on the sixth string.

Stick with standard tuning for a few more months. Get really good at tuning your guitar, playing/switching between open chords, and strumming different rhythms in time (KEEP THAT FOOT TAPPING!!!). THEN drop that sixth string down and mess around. You'll be a much happier, BETTER standard and drop d player once you do!

YMMV

Brettski
It Depends, If your playing Punk rock/Alternative Rock or just Modern Rock, they mostly use E tuning, if your playing more metal, They use Drop D more all drop D is, is the Low E string is usually Dropped a step, to D...Hence Drop D.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Learn you're fretboard in standard tuning first. Then if you need to learn Drop D for the style of music you play, then go ahead. BUT YOU MUST LEARN STANDARD TUNING FIRST!!!
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
If you're using it just to make power chords easier, then no, its not a good idea. Dont steer away completely though, it does have its merits from a musical point of view. I agree that you should become accustomed with standard tuning first though.
Always start with standard tuning and go with it until you know your way around the fretboard with standard tuning. Experiment with different tunings, but don't start off with one.
If you just started, no idea why they told you to play in different tunings.
Standard is definitely easier. For power chords Drop-D is helpful, though.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Admittedly, Drop D is fun as hell to play around in if you're bored (super easy to write cool sounding heavy riffs); however, I recommend that you start out in standard tuning so that you gain an overall higher level of understanding for the instrument.
Quote by MelodiousScream
Just got a guitar today and the guy at the store told me a little about Drop D tuning and how it makes it a little easier to learn. I also grabbed a song book that uses Drop D, but how commonly is it used? As a noob, is this a good idea to use?

It doesn't make things easier to learn at all, if anything it makes learning harder, especially for a beginner.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I really don't think that either one is easier to learn by, but in my opinion, drop D is more fun. I never get tired of playing a power chord in drop D. It's really a lot more comfortable for my fingers, plus I need to play barre chords in the song I'm trying to learn currently so it's good practice.

Basically, if I'm trying to learn a certain song, unless it calls for otherwise, stick with standard tuning.

If you're jamming for the fun of it, try experimenting with different tunings to find one you like.

Honestly, I really do prefer drop D. I've been playing all night because of it and I'm not done yet
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
Practically, the guy at the guitar store only wants to make sure that you get satisfaction on what you got from them. Drop D tuning nowadays is like Pepsi especially on New Metal acts where its something that you can play other than the index finger on strings 4, 5, & 6 while jumping around with your baggy trousers (heheh). So he kinda gave something you might consider a fun.

I suggest to primarily getting a basic chord book and delve into it. A summer music camp might also help. Enjoy, keep it up and good luck!