Page 1 of 2
I am looking for a new stack for around $700 bucks. I play mostly hard rock, and metallica is my favorite band. so the question is: randall Kirk Hammett Signature Series KH120RHS ( $720 ) or line 6 hd 150 spider 3 stack($649)? which way should I go? thanks.
neither, get a tube combo.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Ghold125
there both crap...

Have you actually played them yourself or are you just basing your decision off the total crap that is spewed from the mouths of UG members... whom very few have actually tried themselves, they just repeat what they hear from others.
id get the randall for the extra 80$
its probably much more reliable
and if metallicas ur fav band then go weith it deffinatley
Are you gigging?
Click Me.

That will be much, MUCH, better than the two you listed.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Ive Played a bit on both. The Randall stuff is all right. Personally I cant stand anything line6 has put out in awhile. Plus if you want metallica tone it's pretty easy to dial in on the hammet sig. Have you thought a about a peavey valve king? They're pretty cheap and they sound really nice for the price.
First off I'd like to say nice choice of music there (Metallica). Yes, they are amazing!

But anyway, about the amp thing, I have a Line 6 myself, it's a Spider III 15. I think its pretty good, but here's something better, and its cheaper too.

Go to www.musiciansfriend.com, type in "marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 slant cab half stack package [just marshall half stack should work] they have a nice deal where it comes with the amp head and the cab for just $600. And I'm sure its great quality too, its a Marshall. Hoped that helps!
Quote by highwayone73
Ive Played a bit on both. The Randall stuff is all right. Personally I cant stand anything line6 has put out in awhile. Plus if you want metallica tone it's pretty easy to dial in on the hammet sig. Have you thought a about a peavey valve king? They're pretty cheap and they sound really nice for the price.

Agreed.

However, if you have the opportunity to play through them then I would go that route and see what you like best. Don't trust what people tell you on UG because 99.9% of it its useless garbage. There are a few helpful people here that actually know what they are talking about but they are very few and very far between.
Quote by WARNINGnimrod12
First off I'd like to say nice choice of music there (Metallica). Yes, they are amazing!

But anyway, about the amp thing, I have a Line 6 myself, it's a Spider III 15. I think its pretty good, but here's something better, and its cheaper too.

Go to www.musiciansfriend.com, type in "marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 slant cab half stack package [just marshall half stack should work] they have a nice deal where it comes with the amp head and the cab for just $600. And I'm sure its great quality too, its a Marshall. Hoped that helps!

No! Please don't get that amp.
eh, TS, dont get the Marshall MG. Just because it has 'Marshall' on it, means nothing.

I would take the Line 6 stack, just because of the variety of modeling and effects. Its your choice, neither one is great, but this is just my opinion.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by Ghold125
there both crap...

Sorry i know u want a stack i was like that but now i know tone over coolness, i would buy used at that price.
Stay away from the Spider and MG stack.

Get yourself a Nice tube combo, which will be loud enough, and you can always save up for a very nice cab later on if youre intent on the halfstack.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
get a tube combo, those stacks are NOT worth it AT ALL.

I know that wasen't the question and all but please, if you value your tone at all, you'll read my words.
Quote by bBreaker
No! Please don't get that amp.

so ur awnser to everything is ' get a tube combo' and u dont know what sarcasm is

We got some nice members.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by bBreaker
neither, get a tube combo.

Typical UG response for the loss.

TS, go Randall.
Signatures are overrated.
Ugh, I am so sick of these threads. (No offense to TS)

Regardless, you don't need either of those. You need a solid tube combo, because you aren't playing a stadium venue.

And don't get the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 because it's not good, even though it says "Marshall". Don't get the Line 6 Spider halfstack either.

With $700, you could get a reaaaally good tube combo... although, I haven't put much thought into which one.
I will be gigging in the near future. i own a crate gx-212 combo amp, but it cuts out with heavy distortion at high volumes. I need something that doesnt have this problem. and i have played the line 6, and thought it was great. but then again i dont care about any of the effects execpt the distortion, so it was kind of bias.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Ugh, I am so sick of these threads. (No offense to TS)

Regardless, you don't need either of those. You need a solid tube combo, because you aren't playing a stadium venue.

And don't get the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 because it's not good, even though it says "Marshall". Don't get the Line 6 Spider halfstack either.

With $700, you could get a reaaaally good tube combo... although, I haven't put much thought into which one.

He didn't ask "which tube combo" he should get. Honestly, tube amps are great (I own two) but imo SS kicks tube ass when you are playing heavy stuff.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Have you actually played them yourself or are you just basing your decision off the total crap that is spewed from the mouths of UG members... whom very few have actually tried themselves, they just repeat what they hear from others.
I played the line 6, well the 150w amp not the half stack and liked it. but the whole metallica amp thing kind of pulled in that direction, and then lately my amp has been cutting out so i ruled out a tube combo, and decided i needed more firepower.
Quote by guitarjere33
I played the line 6, well the 150w amp not the half stack and liked it. but the whole metallica amp thing kind of pulled in that direction, and then lately my amp has been cutting out so i ruled out a tube combo, and decided i needed more firepower.

I wasn't directing that comment toward you lol. It was toward the people who are like "OMG!! THOSE AMPS SUCK!!! BUY A $3000 TUBE AMP DUDE!!!" because quite frankly I'm sick of the ignorance on these forums. The majority of people who give "advice" haven't even tried the gear that they are saying is great or sucks - they base their decisions on something that someone else has said.

If you like the Line 6 go for it. Randall makes great solid state and tube amps so you really can't go wrong with a Randall.

However, Peavey has a new line of modeling amps, the Vypyrs (basically their version of the Line 6 Spider/Roland Cube/Vox Valvetronix), which might be worth checking out if you can find one to test.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I wasn't directing that comment toward you lol. It was toward the people who are like "OMG!! THOSE AMPS SUCK!!! BUY A $3000 TUBE AMP DUDE!!!" because quite frankly I'm sick of the ignorance on these forums. The majority of people who give "advice" haven't even tried the gear that they are saying is great or sucks - they base their decisions on something that someone else has said.

If you like the Line 6 go for it. Randall makes great solid state and tube amps so you really can't go wrong with a Randall.

However, Peavey has a new line of modeling amps, the Vypyrs (basically their version of the Line 6 Spider/Roland Cube/Vox Valvetronix), which might be worth checking out if you can find one to test.
Thanks I ' ll check 'em all out
one more question, Metal will. the randall stack says 120w power amp. do you add the wattage of the cabinet ? or is it just 120watts? question because my amp is 120w.
Go with the Randall. You will get sick of the Line6 because of the lack of tonal variation (and lack of tone at all for that matter, but that is more opinion). Just keep in mind that you get what you paid for. Best of luck to you!

EDIT: Before you ask, yes I have played both amps. I actually used the Line6 halfstack to test 10-12 guitars in a shop, and they, for the most part, pretty much alike. (I tried strats, LPs, an explorer, etc.)
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Aug 3, 2008,
Its just the head.

The watts on a cab just indicate how many watts it can handle coming from a head (i.e. you wouldn't hook a 120 watt head to a 100 watt cab because you will blow the speakers).

The higher the cab's watts, generally, the more head room you will have and the higher volume/gain you can get before the speakers start to break up. Also, the more speakers you have the better the sound will be dispersed and they wont break up as fast (i.e. a 4x12 can handle more than a 2x12 so the speakers in a 2x12 will break up sooner than the speakers in a 4x12).

I hope this explanation didn't confuse you too much and I'm really glad that I was able to help!
i would say get the randall. i know how you feel about half stacks seeing as i just bought mine yesterday. randall SS's are good!

the line 6 isnt bad but metallica is your fav. band so thats a big obvious!
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by guitarjere33
I will be gigging in the near future. i own a crate gx-212 combo amp, but it cuts out with heavy distortion at high volumes.

It sounds like you need more headroom, not three extra speakers.

More speakers does not equal more volume.
Quote by WARNINGnimrod12

is this supposed to be some kind of sick joke?!?!

Anyways, ts i would advise getting something used, because you can always get more bang for your buck that way, Surf craigslist or something.
I would guess that they both suck. Just like the MG100, all cheap stacks suck. Even if you will be gigging, a 30 or 50 watt tube combo will be more than enough (I promise you won't even have to crank a 30 watt combo) and will sound much nicer. The only reason to get a stack is for the looks and that is no good reason.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
He didn't ask "which tube combo" he should get. Honestly, tube amps are great (I own two) but imo SS kicks tube ass when you are playing heavy stuff.

When somebody needs a new amp, and they have $700 then the answer is NEVER "buy a crap solid state half stack".

I don't really care about what people actually ask, half the time they ask the wrong question based on what their needs anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You don't need a stack. It might look cool and metal and brutal but you do not need it. A 30 watt combo is almost enough to kill people if you crank it into power amp distortion and you will never need more than 50 unless you're playing huge outdoor gigs.

I do not know much about metal amps but stay away from the Marshalls and Line6s. A quick look at Musiciansfriend reveals a lot of metal combos in the $700 range. B-52 ST-6012, B-52 AT-112, Peavey 6505 and Randall RG50TC.
Its good cause it says marshall on it? SS kick tubes ass for heavy stuff? This forum is gold.
MGs sound like turd and the cabs are undersized with **** speakers and the box is made from...MDF.. As for SS better for heavy stuff are you honestly saying you'd rather use line 6 gear for droptuned riffs rather than say i dunno... an ENGL Invader? Please be real.

To the OP hang on to your cash and try some amps out, but for you a 5150/6505 combo would be sweet try one see what you think. Look local and ask, some guys dont mind you goin over to try stuff out.
funny, im in this kind of predicament too

Randall Kirk Hammet Signature RM100KHLTD half stack

- or -

Line 6 Spider III HD150 75Wx2 Guitar Amp Head with a Spider III 4x12 Cabinet
GEAR
Peavey 5150 (block lettered)
Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12
Ibanez RG7620 w/ EMG 707s
Ibanez RG7321
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by ibanez_6784
funny, im in this kind of predicament too

Randall Kirk Hammet Signature RM100KHLTD half stack

- or -

Line 6 Spider III HD150 75Wx2 Guitar Amp Head with a Spider III 4x12 Cabinet

Don't get the Spider. Don't. Just forget about it. Honestly, when your ears develop, you will realize how bad they sound.

I don't know anything about the Randall one but do you really need a stack? Why?
The amp has to be at guitar center, seeing i have gift cards there. and if you want to know why i want a halfstack read up the forum
Why would you not want a tube combo? It will be plenty loud enough you know (well, 50 watts plus would be).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Why would you not want a tube combo? It will be plenty loud enough you know (well, 50 watts plus would be).
well , truthfully , I havent messed around with tube amps that much. I hear you need to replace the tubes every so often, and that cranking the distortion through a tube combo doesnt sound that great.
Page 1 of 2