Bought a 30 watt vox valvetronix xl with my new geetar ( was the biggest size I could afford) and before I crank it all the way up I want to know if you guys think its okay for band practice and maybe gigging. Im only 14 so im not gonna do any massive shows and im not even in a band yet but itll come soon. Anyway you think the 30 watt will handle okay?
no not really. and if you can manage to hear yourself over a drummer it probably won't sound very good.

30 watts is good for bedroom practice, (for solid state amps of course).
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
you should be alright for practice
and for small gigs. as long as your drummer isnt too heavy handed
the Valvetronix is a hybrid, right?

Is it "solid-state" loud, or "tube" loud? If it is solid-state loud, it's probably not loud enough, if it's tube loud, then yeah it should be good. Keep in mind, you'll be mic'd at gigs.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

^ It's SS loud. That tube doesn't have much of an impact on the amp...

If you're mic'd to a PA at a gig you'll be fine, but for jamming it isn't going to be loud enough. Well actually it may be loud enough, but it will be at its limit and not sounding so good.
It's loud enough for small gigs dont worry. I have an AD30VT and I have played numerous gigs with it, the biggest was playing in my school's theater, which can hold 600 people and it did fine without a mic. And the Valvetronix sounds much better when turned up.
It depends on the music you're gonna play, if it's rock the 30watter would OK for jamming and practice but if gigging you'll need at least a 70w amp.

The Vox AC30, although only a 30w amp would be OK as tube amps are louder than SS amps.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
I daresay a 30w solid state amp could do a gig if the drummer kept it well under control, you didn't need too much volume and the venue wasn't that big. A 30w valve amp would be fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Should be fine as long as your not playing in the middle of an open field outside.

Ideally you would want to mic the amp.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
well my friend has a roland jc50 and its louder than my ac15 which is loud enough to gig with.

should be fine. you dont want to make the people deaf anyways. then they wont buy your records
Quote by String-Dancer
Bought a 30 watt vox valvetronix xl with my new geetar ( was the biggest size I could afford) and before I crank it all the way up I want to know if you guys think its okay for band practice and maybe gigging. Im only 14 so im not gonna do any massive shows and im not even in a band yet but itll come soon. Anyway you think the 30 watt will handle okay?

Certainly. You'll get a ton of snobs saying you have a crap amp, and recommend the amp they have- which is not what he's asking, he's just asking if his amp is loud enough- but it's definitely enough for band practice and small gigs. It's not the best amp ever, but it's OK. You're only 14, and just starting out. I've seen players older than you just starting out who made worse choices in gear (myself included), so yeah, you're set for a good long while, buddy.

Quote by psychokiller99
no not really. and if you can manage to hear yourself over a drummer it probably won't sound very good.

30 watts is good for bedroom practice, (for solid state amps of course).

Nonsense. My 2watt Roland Micro Cube damn near blows the doors off of my house when I turn it up. And it's a solid state practice amp (best there is).