I bought a used Takamine EG-334SC on eBay about a year ago. It's a great acoustic electric guitar, but several frets need to be replaced. The first 7 frets have noticeable wear, and frets 1 through 4 have some deep gouges in 'em.

I paid $375 for this guitar, which included a hard-shell case.

Approximately how much will a fret job cost for this guitar, assuming I shop around for a good deal that's in line with what I paid for the guitar? Also, do fret jobs generally replace *all* frets or only those absolutely needing it?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
depends on where you live and who you have do the thing. but over $100 is a safe bet (and i'm probably lowballing).
if you can, talk to the luthier. if you tell him which ones are the problem frets, he'll probably replace those and file down the rest.
that is, unless his professional opinion is that they're all ****ed and you need to do the whole thing.
if you want him to redress the frets it won't be as much as refretting them. to refret the first seven is more than you payed for.
About $400 for a re-fret. I've re-fretted a few guitars and it takes a long time. Add another $50 because your neck has perfling down each side. They take longer to do. The last guy who owned the guitar probably used a Capo a lot and also left it on when not playing. Capos are a real fret killer. You got ripped off.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 3, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
About $400 for a re-fret. I've re-fretted a few guitars and it takes a long time. Add another $50 because your neck has perfling down each side. They take longer to do. The last guy who owned the guitar probably used a Capo a lot and also left it on when not playing. Capos are a real fret killer. You got ripped off.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking, too. The guy made no mention of the worn frets in his eBay description, and I only asked about blemishes on the body (of which there were none). Oh well: no point in whining. What kills me is that the guy selling said that he had used this guitar with his church group, and I figured: "Hey, he's a church-going guy, so he's probably not trying to rip me off." Maybe I'm being punished for *not* being a church-going guy myself.

Well...no way I'm gonna spend $400 re-fretting a $375 guitar. Right now, the worn frets don't effect playability...but it's just a matter of time... I guess I'll just have to enjoy the sweet tones of my Ovangkol Takamine while I can. Not much else I can do.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Is it possible he didn't know that the frets were worn and/or that it was a bad thing? Not everyone lives for internet knowledge after all ;-)

Does it actually perform poorly or is it more just the aesthetic that bothers you?

I'm sure you could spend a minimal amount and have them play better, maybe not perfect. It'll all depend on how deep the gouges are and how tall the frets are currently (If there's room to work with the existing ones, rather than replace them)
If it's only the first 3 frets he could have them only replaced and dressed to suit the rest of the frets [probably about $100]. If there is no string buzz as is. Don't worry about it if money is tight. Should be a nice sounding guitar.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 5, 2008,
that depends on how you like it beca....OH!!!! a FRETjob, i have no idea in that case
Quote by GmacD
Chicken and waffles motha F*cka

Quote by Joey Radical
Just be a man and **** your mom.
Quote by The_Pretender95
that depends on how you like it beca....OH!!!! a FRETjob, i have no idea in that case

LOL. Niiice. I thought that same thing. I was like "Whoa... the title of this thread doesnt sound right at all"

But yeah, I'm not really sure about how much it would cost, so i would listen to the angry people above me.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the title of this thread was just asking for it.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********