Hey hey hey UG. I need a mic. Whenever I ask anywhere everyone just shouts "Shure 52902020 or whatever that microphone is..... BUT all ill be doin is plugin something into my pc and using audactity to get some real basic tracks happening. SO, my point is can I just simply buy the one everyone tells me too and it comes with an 1/8 inch or usb plug for my pc? Or should I just buy a or look for a USB mic or what. Im not a total technophobe, but I dont wanna have to muck around tons...is it really simple using mics with pcs or what? And wjhat is the cheapest micophone you know of? I dont give a crap about quality at this stage.

Secondly, I will use it for amps and acuostic guitar sometimes just to muck around.... Where in realtion to an acuostic guitars soundhole or a speaker should it be? Or is it all a matter of personal taste?

Cheers guys.
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
man, if my ****ing drummer were online, i'd ask him about good cheap ones. shure do make some good mics to start out with. just get one now.
you could probably get one for as low as $20 from guitar center. it'll sound like ****. and probably break. you'll also want a stand (one with a boom if you're looking to experiment with mic placement). and you'll need an xlr to usb adaptor. that's if you want to do it right.
otherwise, just get some $5 karaoke videogame mic, or a crappy computer mic and enjoy sounding like ****.
Well if you just want to use it as a scrapbook for ideas so you don't forget them then okay, I don't think ones with the microphone plugs are that expensive, shures need microphone cables though. Acoustic, mess around between the 12th fret and the bridge. The one problem you will run into with a cheap mic not designed for mic'ing amps specifically is clipping.

Quote by gonzosrevenge55
man, if my ****ing drummer were online, i'd ask him about good cheap ones. shure do make some good mics to start out with. just get one now.
you could probably get one for as low as $20 from guitar center. it'll sound like ****. and probably break. you'll also want a stand (one with a boom if you're looking to experiment with mic placement). and you'll need an xlr to usb adaptor. that's if you want to do it right.
otherwise, just get some $5 karaoke videogame mic, or a crappy computer mic and enjoy sounding like ****.

Actually, Shure's are decent mic's and they won't break if you don't abuse them, they are used all around, the 58's are known for live use on stage for singing the 57's are best known for mic'ing amps. And where did you get 20$ from? They are like 100 or more CDN here.

To give you an idea, musicians friend has the SM58 for 100$, 188$ retail apparently.

and the SM57 is also 100$.

And I'm guessing it's American.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Aug 3, 2008,
I f you don't give a crap about quality and don't want to have to set stuff up, get a computer mic.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Imafrog
Hey hey hey UG. I need a mic. Whenever I ask anywhere everyone just shouts "Shure 52902020 or whatever that microphone is..... BUT all ill be doin is plugin something into my pc and using audactity to get some real basic tracks happening. SO, my point is can I just simply buy the one everyone tells me too and it comes with an 1/8 inch or usb plug for my pc? Or should I just buy a or look for a USB mic or what. Im not a total technophobe, but I dont wanna have to muck around tons...is it really simple using mics with pcs or what? And wjhat is the cheapest micophone you know of? I dont give a crap about quality at this stage.

Secondly, I will use it for amps and acuostic guitar sometimes just to muck around.... Where in realtion to an acuostic guitars soundhole or a speaker should it be? Or is it all a matter of personal taste?

Cheers guys.

For acoustic guitar you really should use a condenser mic but those are around $$50 at minimum (MXL 990) and they need a power source for the phantom power.

The cheapest mic pack I know of that has a fair sound is this on stage stands unit:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-MS7510-Mic-Pro-Pak?sku=270619

I really enjoy the stand and cable and just ordered two more of these packs a few days ago mostly for the stands and cables. The mics are...ok...nothing great but they do work and are nice to have around if you need some backup singers...

Mic placement videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZMChcnKck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtnd6n0t6wU
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 3, 2008,
Quote by AthenasGhost
Well if you just want to use it as a scrapbook for ideas so you don't forget them then okay, I don't think ones with the microphone plugs are that expensive, shures need microphone cables though. Acoustic, mess around between the 12th fret and the bridge. The one problem you will run into with a cheap mic not designed for mic'ing amps specifically is clipping.

Actually, Shure's are decent mic's and they won't break if you don't abuse them, they are used all around, the 58's are known for live use on stage for singing the 57's are best known for mic'ing amps. And where did you get 20$ from? They are like 100 or more CDN here.

To give you an idea, musicians friend has the SM58 for 100$, 188$ retail apparently.

and the SM57 is also 100$.

And I'm guessing it's American.

pretty sure i said this about shure: "shure do make some good mics to start out with. just get one now".
the rest of the paragraph was about the cheap no-name crap. i should've been more specific before ranting about crappy mics. my mistake.
For basic "get your ideas down" stuff you can get by recording an acoustic with a Shure SM57. I've done it before and actually sounded ok. SM57's also are an excellent choice for micing guitar cabs.

Try placing the SM57 within 6" of the soundhole at a 45 angle. Experiment from there. For micing guitar cabs check this video out. It's long but very informative:
http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

You could probably get a used SM57 for around $60-$70 if you shop around. A new one will run you $100.

THe SM57 is a tank very durable and asolid investment if you plan to expand your home studio.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic