Alright, I have been to a few sites, and none of them clearly explain how to read scales, what they are, and how to play them. I am really lost so any advice would be appreciated. If you think u know a better site that can describe it, please post it here.
A scale is, simply put, a group of notes that you are playing in. For example, here's C major;

C (C D E F G A B C):
|-----------------------------------------------------8--|
|--------------------------------------------10-12-----|
|---------------------------------9-10-12-------------|
|-----------------------9-10-12-----------------------|
|------------8-10-12----------------------------------|
|-8-10-12---------------------------------------------|

If you're playing in C major, you run up and down these notes in different patterns. If you look closely, all these notes on the fretboard are, in order, C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C etc. Since C D E F G A B C are the notes forming the C major scale, therefore you are in C major.

I'm still rather new at this too, I recommend you to check out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html .
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
A scale is, simply put, a group of notes that you are playing in. For example, here's C major;

C (C D E F G A B C):
|-----------------------------------------------------8--|
|--------------------------------------------10-12-----|
|---------------------------------9-10-12-------------|
|-----------------------9-10-12-----------------------|
|------------8-10-12----------------------------------|
|-8-10-12---------------------------------------------|

If you're playing in C major, you run up and down these notes in different patterns. If you look closely, all these notes on the fretboard are, in order, C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C etc. Since C D E F G A B C are the notes forming the C major scale, therefore you are in C major.

I'm still rather new at this too, I recommend you to check out: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html .

alrighte, this is what i dont get, it says 8-10-12,, so i presume that means the fret board 8 then 10 then 12 (this is on the low E string), and you just keep on going. Now when u said C major, isnt that on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fret?
Quote by simplekin88
alrighte, this is what i dont get, it says 8-10-12,, so i presume that means the fret board 8 then 10 then 12 (this is on the low E string), and you just keep on going. Now when u said C major, isnt that on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fret?

The first note is your root note. In this case it's C(8th fret on low E string). The notes in C major(C D E F G A B) are scattered everyone on the fretboard, and any of them is valid. For example if you take the second C in the tabs I showed you(which is the 10th fret on the D string), it can also be played on the 5th fret of the G string, or even on the 1st fret of the B string.

How written the scales are is the practical way of exploring through the scale with the less amount of efforts, but you could take these notes and play them at other places it doesn't matter, as long as the notes you play are only C D E F G A B(in C major). To write a scale, they usually take the first root note on the fretboard. In the case of C major, the first C of the fretboard is on the 8th fret, so that's why it starts there. But that's the way of writing it. When playing in a scale, you either climb up and down the scales, or play chords and combinations of notes that are in C major.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

no, not at all, the parts of understanding how to construct a scale or even just knowing why a scale is played the way it is can be helped immensely by learning the notes on the fretboard

if you know the notes on the fretboard, quite a few things start to come together

also, if your gonna start learning theory, i recommend that you take it very slowly, paragraph by paragraph, maybe read it a few times over until you know you understand it, hell, most of the lessons that ive read ive also written down and read again ^^ just to study it
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Curlyboy
wow its like learning a new alphabet

+1

that's EXACTLY what it's like.

Music is like a language, if you learn from tabs that's the musical equivalent of going on holiday with a few key phrases that you've learned phoenetically. You can get your point across and make yourself understood but you've got no idea what it is youre actually saying and why your saying it, and you've got no chance of holding a conversation.

Learning music theory is the same as learning the alphabet and rules of grammar for a language, it's what allows you to actually understand music as opposed to just being able to copy certain songs parrot fashion.

Before diving in to things start reading the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section. Take your time with them, the first one alone will probably take you a good couple of weeks to absorb and understand properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So do I understand correctly that if someone says a Dmajor scale they are referring to the scale starting and ending with a Dmajor note.
alright, thanks to everyone that has been trying to help. Yes i understand theory is to learn the science of music. I got that, but there isn't any decent site that i can understand it from (the theory lesson here at UG is very complicated, and half those words i have no idea what they are), if someone has a good link with a very dumbed down version of theory, please post it here.
There is no "dumbed down" version of theory - it is a bit complicated and there's no getting round it. You just have to start at the beginning and be patient. You're already learning the dumbed down version of playing the guitar, theory is what elevates you above that but it involves some old-fashioned studying.

Learn the notes on the fretboard, start learning about the major scale and read Josh Urban's first few Crusade articles in the colums section....the lessons on UG are as good as anything that's available on the net.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com