me and my cousin and a friend are starting a band any advice would be apprecited

thanks
lol there was a thread with exactly the same title a lil while back
uhm all you really need is for all your band mates to work together as a band instead of having the guitarist or something write the songs. make sure everyone contributes equally. Thats a big issue in my band and we sorta just stopped for now so
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
don't take it too seriously cause then you'll fight and then somebody quits the band
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by soulflyV
Don't suck.

+12

Best advice anyone can give in this situation.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Record yourself with a camera when you practice, then afterwards watch it and see what needs the most improvement.

Also, when you practice, do it like you would play on stage. It will help alot if you ever start gigging. So stand up, etc.
Quote by SHEEM
Get a keyboardist. They come in handy sometimes.

That's what she didn't say.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
No one brings their girlfriend to practice. I can't tell how much that screws up the flow of a jam. Bros before hos, son.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Heroin or Cocaine, choose one but either way if you want to get famous you need to do one (or both).
I'm a bandleader so I can be of some help.

-Draw up a plan of what you're going to do, from recording to actually gigging. Try and make some contacts and do your research.

-Make sure that everyone gets a say. Forget the whole drums/bass/keys aren't important, you will have a better band if you have a democracy.

- You should expect people to be reliable and contactable. Make a list of phone numbers, email addresses and contact info and make a 'black book' so you are organised.

- Make sure that you have basic equipment. For me this would include (excluding instruments) spare strings/drumheads, picks, cables, DI boxes, manuscript paper, pens and pencils, drumsticks, mikes, stands for mikes and keyboards if you need them.

Plan each rhehearsal planned out- once you've written and decided on what material you are going to do. Start off with basic chord sequences and beats, then introduce any new ideas, then finish by running through the songs.

If you're planning to earn money, agree on how it is split- you might say 25% for a band fund and the other band members get the rest shared out.

- Make sure you write music down, even if you don't need it to play. That way it is easier to revise and redo songs.

- Assuming you're the bandleader, know your theory! This is boring stuff but it will help you with the different instruments and also help you write better songs and play better.

If you need any more help, PM me.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm a bandleader so I can be of some help.

-Draw up a plan of what you're going to do, from recording to actually gigging. Try and make some contacts and do your research.

-Make sure that everyone gets a say. Forget the whole drums/bass/keys aren't important, you will have a better band if you have a democracy.

- You should expect people to be reliable and contactable. Make a list of phone numbers, email addresses and contact info and make a 'black book' so you are organised.

- Make sure that you have basic equipment. For me this would include (excluding instruments) spare strings/drumheads, picks, cables, DI boxes, manuscript paper, pens and pencils, drumsticks, mikes, stands for mikes and keyboards if you need them.

Plan each rhehearsal planned out- once you've written and decided on what material you are going to do. Start off with basic chord sequences and beats, then introduce any new ideas, then finish by running through the songs.

If you're planning to earn money, agree on how it is split- you might say 25% for a band fund and the other band members get the rest shared out.

- Make sure you write music down, even if you don't need it to play. That way it is easier to revise and redo songs.

- Assuming you're the bandleader, know your theory! This is boring stuff but it will help you with the different instruments and also help you write better songs and play better.

If you need any more help, PM me.

/thread
Quote by iantheman
don't take it too seriously cause then you'll fight and then somebody quits the band

You do need to take it seriously though, so to make sure everyone is committed and understand what their position entails.
Quote by lotsofvolume
You do need to take it seriously though, so to make sure everyone is committed and understand what their position entails.

well yeah but thats only if you ever want your band to go anywhere
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Don't play alternative, I know that sounds mean but where I go to school I am in one of two metal bands, theres one blues band and about 12 crappy indie bands who play boring unoriginal music, being alternative wont make you unique last time I went to rockquest about 90% of the bands were "alternative" "rock" and when a good thrash band came on there music sounded so good by comparison
MOST F*CKING IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER:

Time is important.
Without time, you lose rhythm
Without rhythm, no one knows who's playing what
Well, then you'd suck!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Quote by gavz_verdikt
MOST F*CKING IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER:

Time is important.
Without time, you lose rhythm
Without rhythm, no one knows who's playing what
Well, then you'd suck!

+1
I've been in a few bands (though have never gigged yet) so from my experience:

Have some common ground. Make sure everyone is happy with how the songs are going.

It's okay to dick around when you're just practising in someone's room/garage but once you're in a rehearsal studio you need to be more focused. Remember, you are paying for the room so you need to utilise it as best you can.

Working on 3 or 4 different songs at a time has never worked for me/us. So focus on at least finishing one song before you move on to the next. Remember, you can always go back and tighten it up. Think of it as writing a rough draft of a story.

Have fun. There's nothing worse than a new and inexperienced band that take themselves way too seriously.

When you first get together play a couple of cover songs to see how well you gel together.

I'll try and think of some more...
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

I wish I had some advice to give. I'm 13, in my first band, and we suck .

I can tell you what NOT to do, though.
Don't:
-Assume you/your instrument/your ideas, etc. are more important than anyone elses.
-Schedule practice before agreeing on what song to play
-Form a band comprised of amateur musicians who have different tastes in music.
-Tell your drummer to "shut the **** up"

That's my first band, and I've already made all those mistakes.
So...Yeah. Don't do any of those.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Practise Regularly
Gig regularly
Take critisiscm and advice but know when someone is just running their mouth

Also, get a bunch of bands that influence your style of music. Study them. Check what they're playing, how they're playing, how everything is structured, what each member adds, what the band looks like (image etc.) and do some research. Take some ideas from these bands but DONT try to be them/do what they've done. Create your own style based on these influences.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Me my cousin and his friend started a band. It didnt work out too well. Hope you have better lick. And you need a bassist more then a drummer, guitarist or even a singer.