Well for my mates band we need a bass guitar.
We can't go out and buy a bass.For gigs we'll have access to a proper bass guitar.
So for practice we have an old ranger strat that's already in pretty bad shape.
So we are going to make it as bassy as possible.So far we have:
Tuned it WAY WAY down
Put it into a guitar with the bass turned all the way up and an effects pedal with the bass right up
So we are going to get some bass strings and put them on there.
Any ideas for making it more bassy WITHOUT
A.Spending a whole load of money
B.Destroying my amp
???
thanks.
cancel all things you have listed...putting bass strings on it = snapped neck

just get an octaver pedal and set it two octaves down.
It won't work.

The pickups aren't designed to capture the frequencies of bass strings. Also, those strings will most likely create more tension on the neck and make it snap.

You're better off just buying a Digitech Whammy and using the 1 or 2 octaves down setting with the guitar (that's how i record "bass" lines on demos i do at home).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
So we are going to get some bass strings and put them on there.

LOL that won't work too well, they won't fit on the saddles or the tuning pegs.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by Ian hawkins
alright bass strings no go.
How much would I be spending if I got an octave pedal?

Depends on what you get. A regular octave pedal would probably about 100-150 dollars.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
but then at that price you could buy a bass anywayss?

Gear:
-Tokai Les Paul Custom w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Custom & Pearly Gates
-Westfield B200
-Ibanez GRG170DXL

-VOX AD30VT
-Fender MD-20
-Marshall MG15DFX

Dunlop Cry Baby
-Digitech RP70
how bout just dont worry about it. you have a bass for gigs right? you dont need to sound amazing for practice
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
how bout just dont worry about it. you have a bass for gigs right? you dont need to sound amazing for practice

+1 to this and the octave pedal.

Just play with the guitar tuned down if you can handle the floppiness of the strings. Just needs to sound right for gigs.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
This won't work I'm afraid. Buy a bass or live without one.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
well, as far as I know, bass and guitar tune the same. Thats how music is made. EADGBE for guitar and EADG for bass. So does tuning down really do anything?? probably not....

Your best bet is to just buy a cheap ass bass for $100 or so, eBay if you want cheaper. The bass I use only cost like $89 and it works just fine for writing music.
Get a cheap bass. You can't turn a guitar into a bass. And you will be better off practicing on a bass than a guitar with an octave pedal because the scale on a bass is longer and the feel is so much different. You want to practice like you perform.
*Facepalm*

Dude you will wreck the guitar even though it has been said like 20 times.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

the scale length isn't kibg enough to permit tuning down without a LOT of flappyness....even if you manage to put bass strings on there (which probably would have a hard time fitting into the bridge and through the tuners)

just get a cheapo bass....$100 and be done with it
a decent octave pedal will be about that much and will sound wierd so just go for the real thing
Quote by seljer
the scale length isn't kibg enough to permit tuning down without a LOT of flappyness....even if you manage to put bass strings on there (which probably would have a hard time fitting into the bridge and through the tuners)

just get a cheapo bass....$100 and be done with it
a decent octave pedal will be about that much and will sound wierd so just go for the real thing

PLUS ONE!!!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 60CycleHum
Buy a bass? Yes.
A cheaply made one? Hell yes .

I'm quite sure that most any bass will be better than a strat with bass strings on it. There's tons of used deals out there anyway, I don't know why when people are extremely worried about their tight budget all the conversations revolve around the retail price of new equipment. I bought one of the best acoustic guitars I've ever heard in person, for $150... which included a brand new $75 Gator case. No need to go to musicians friend if you're hurting for cash.
Last edited by corndogggy at Aug 3, 2008,
Baritone guitars actually can be properly used as a bass if strung correctly, although i have absolutely no idea as to how... you may wanna look that up one Wikipedia or something.
Quote by cedricsmods
Get a cheap bass. You can't turn a guitar into a bass. And you will be better off practicing on a bass than a guitar with an octave pedal because the scale on a bass is longer and the feel is so much different. You want to practice like you perform.

this^

don't perform with a different instrument than you practice with.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Sell the beat up guitar for as much as you can get for it, and put it towards a cheap bass.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Buy a bass, because you aren't gonna get used to the scale of it or anything by just using an octaver (and if you wanna spend nothing on a **** octaver that does work, look at behringer) go buy a bass pack thing, bass, lead, bass amp for about 100 quid
lol@u