hey pit im kind of confused. when i hear new bands that ive never heard before i almost never like them, but if i find one thing that i like about them and then proceed to almost force myself to listen to an album of the band for a few days, i start to like them little by little it was like this with a few bands within the past 5 odd months, the most recent being porcupine tree. so i can basically never tell if i like a band or not when i first hear them. also if i listen to a few songs by a band, lets say a few weeks ago, and i come back to listen to them again now, i like them more and then start listening to them normally. this is starting to happen with kalmah. there are a few exceptions, however when i go to listen to something like kamelot or other power metal, although im not as excited by kamelot or any other power metal bands for that matter because ive already listened to some awesome power metal bands and those are enough for me, i instantly like it. same thing happens with melodeath like arch enemy and old inflames. though i may start listening to arch enemy depending on my lazyness to find a torrent lol oh and i also heard sleep terror for the first time a few days ago, and being a necrophagist fan i instantly liked it,it was wierd tho becaise i only listen to one other band in the genre and sleep terror i liked alot, and other tech doesnt captivate me as much. but my point is i almost always have to start listening to a band gradually and almost for myself to listen to them to even figure out if i like them or not. its starting to piss me off. also sometimes i like a certain genre lets say prog/prog metal/melodeath/tech/thrash/whatever and i should like cynic, but i dont like them that much but i can tell maybe if i force myself to listen ill like them alot.

heres what ive drawn to a conclusion myself: i know that im close minded by nature, but i try to be open minded about alot of things especially music. i think my mind is really close minded and thats conflicting with me listening to new bands. idk how to open my mind :/

opinions? conclusions? solutions?

sorry for the lengthy post but this is really starting to piss me off as i feel like im missing out on a bunch of bands because of this. help is greatly appreciated.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
What I like to do is to set some time apart for the new music that you want to listen. Then I will pick an activity to go along with the music. In my case, it's either skateboarding, running, or cycling. I have to be in motion.

I will listen to that album in full while doing one of those and during that time, I pick out things I like about the album.

Give that approach a shot, of doing some activity of your choice while listening to the music.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
What I like to do is to set some time apart for the new music that you want to listen. Then I will pick an activity to go along with the music. In my case, it's either skateboarding, running, or cycling. I have to be in motion.

I will listen to that album in full while doing one of those and during that time, I pick out things I like about the album.

Give that approach a shot, of doing some activity of your choice while listening to the music.

ok ill have to give that a try. thanks.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Even going for a walk while listening to the music will give you the opportunity to fully concentrate on it. No matter what, never change the album or skip a track. Just bear with it and listen to it from start to finish.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Linqua5150
hey pit im kind of confused. when i hear new bands that ive never heard before i almost never like them, but if i find one thing that i like about them and then proceed to almost force myself to listen to an album of the band for a few days, i start to like them little by little it was like this with a few bands within the past 5 odd months, the most recent being porcupine tree. so i can basically never tell if i like a band or not when i first hear them. also if i listen to a few songs by a band, lets say a few weeks ago, and i come back to listen to them again now, i like them more and then start listening to them normally. this is starting to happen with kalmah. there are a few exceptions, however when i go to listen to something like kamelot or other power metal, although im not as excited by kamelot or any other power metal bands for that matter because ive already listened to some awesome power metal bands and those are enough for me, i instantly like it. same thing happens with melodeath like arch enemy and old inflames. though i may start listening to arch enemy depending on my lazyness to find a torrent lol oh and i also heard sleep terror for the first time a few days ago, and being a necrophagist fan i instantly liked it,it was wierd tho becaise i only listen to one other band in the genre and sleep terror i liked alot, and other tech doesnt captivate me as much. but my point is i almost always have to start listening to a band gradually and
almost for myself to listen to them to even figure out if i like them or not. its starting to piss me off. also sometimes i like a certain genre lets say prog/prog metal/melodeath/tech/thrash/whatever and i should like cynic, but i dont like them that much but i can tell maybe if i force myself to listen ill like them alot.

heres what ive drawn to a conclusion myself: i know that im close minded by nature, but i try to be open minded about alot of things especially music. i think my mind is really close minded and thats conflicting with me listening to new bands. idk how to open my mind :/

opinions? conclusions? solutions?

sorry for the lengthy post but this is really starting to piss me off as i feel like im missing out on a bunch of bands because of this. help is greatly appreciated.

You have aids.

Sorry.
Too long to read.

Don't worry i read enough of it come to a conclusion

Eat cheerios!!!

actually...

It's pretty normal what you have. Some ppl don't change their preferences fast or are open to new things immediately. You're probably like that and that's why it takes u a while to "grow" into liking things.

EDIT: you can't "force" yourself into liking things. If there's things you like about a new band than keep that with you and forget about what you don't like.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Andrew128900
You have aids.

Sorry.

You have idiocy.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Tl;Dr

but its probably puberty

jk, http://radio3.cbc.ca/ just go there and just shoot yourself with new music
^This post was probably sarcastic

GO LEAFS GO

Chief Executive Officer of Music Games of THE ULTIMATE-GUITAR GAMING FORCE
Quote by evening_crow

It's pretty normal what you have. Some ppl don't change their preferences fast or are open to new things immediately. You're probably like that and that's why it takes u a while to "grow" into liking things.

that is also a possibility.

oh i also just remembered that if a song is like on rock band/guitar hero or int the background of a game or movie or something in general im immediately open to many more things than as if iwas just here on youtube or something.

EDIT: i didnt mean i force myself to like it, rather i force myself to listen until my mind is completely open to it and from there i just start to like it more
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Aug 3, 2008,
Kill yourself while fapping and cuming blood cos you have AIDS.

darkstar2466 was pretty spot on, I like to do that, and if I don't like the album after that then I don't listen to it anymore. It's been said, but you can't force yourself to like something.. Just give it time to grow on you.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Darkstar your right on the money here.

I have this same problem not only with new artists but sometimes with new cds by much loved bands. The first time i heard 'watershed' by Opeth I didn't like a single track, but after a few days of listening to it at work (because it beats working) I've come to like it.
I bought my Ride The Lightning CD just because, and originally did not care for it. But then I took it on a road trip and that was the only CD I had with me, and after the first few days, I liked it, and now, its one of my favorite CDs.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
wow lol i thought i only had this problem because the people around me could listen to things and like them the first time. i just thought it was weird cuz i never had this problem till a few months ago. its just kinda frustrating to me cuz i always like finding new bands to listen to, and i cant lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
wow lol i thought i only had this problem because the people around me could listen to things and like them the first time. i just thought it was weird cuz i never had this problem till a few months ago. its just kinda frustrating to me cuz i always like finding new bands to listen to, and i cant lol

I was the same way

http://radio3.cbc.ca/

seriously I have changed. don't open iTunes for like a week

GO LEAFS GO

Quote by James_Water2
I was the same way

http://radio3.cbc.ca/

seriously I have changed. don't open iTunes for like a week

idk if i could go a week without music haha its like all i do
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
idk if i could go a week without music haha its like all i do

Well then you can stay the same closed minded person... or you could put some effort forward.

Tough Luck it works.

GO LEAFS GO

i guess i can try it if you say it works. as long as your not ****ting me lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
i guess i can try it if you say it works. as long as your not ****ting me lol

Im listening to Got No Money - Janes Party

http://www.last.fm/user/James_Water2