Hey UG,
I recenly bought a warmoth neck and it doesn't seem to have a finish, so I was wondering would I be able to go into any paint store and buy a nice high gloss amber tint finish? Also does it have to be a satin or Nitro cellulose lacquer? could it be a polythene

PS: I live in Australia and Nitro Cellulose is pretty much illegal

Thanx, Mike
I have never used polyurethane on a guitar, but I have on furniture. I wouldn't want it on a neck because it tends to be sticky. For a neck I'd go with some kind of finishing oil to keep it silky and fast to play. However, there are guitars with painted necks that play just fine, like Gibsons. If it's something you aren't sure of, use it on some scrap wood (that has been finely sanded like the neck) and see what you think.
Quote by cedricsmods
I have never used polyurethane on a guitar, but I have on furniture. I wouldn't want it on a neck because it tends to be sticky. For a neck I'd go with some kind of finishing oil to keep it silky and fast to play. However, there are guitars with painted necks that play just fine, like Gibsons. If it's something you aren't sure of, use it on some scrap wood (that has been finely sanded like the neck) and see what you think.

I've been experimenting with Poly-finished necks, specifically using MinWax's water-based brush-on Poly. The results have been amazing and didn't have the stickiness commonly associated with regular Poly.

A common solution is to lightly sand it with the highest grit and apply Carnauba wax.

I always thought that all Gibsons have Nitro polish ... unless they've changed something over the years. Some like the feel, some don't, so it's mostly preferences like all things.

100% Tung Oil is another option. Just make sure it doesn't have the additives like hardeners or varnish. WoodCraft is an excellent brand. 4 to 5 coats over a week should give it the proper protection and coverage. If you play a lot, give it a coating or 2 every 6 months.