Hi i have a crappy amp and a crappy sss guitar. i was wondering if replacing my bridge pickup with a humbucker would improve my sound or not.
i play mostly classic rock with some blues
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
not really. a new amp is a better choice and will improve your sound more. What is your budget? What do you play?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
i play mostly classic rock ac/dc led zep and try to play some blues
budget is at most $600 AU
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
washborn acoustic
My Build

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
thanks i'll look into them and also wood i be better to save and get a marshall dsl 401
40 watt combo amp.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
washborn acoustic
My Build
haven't played a dsl myself yet. but If you thing it sounds great to you, go ahead. but make sure you play it before you buy it.

edit: if you are going to save up money it's worth to look for used amp. A JCM 800 is a really nice amp for what you are playing.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Aug 3, 2008,
I own the 401, and i got it for 1099 AUD. Not a bad amp, and would suit your style of playing i think. Australian prices are crap, so I would say, go used. eBay is a good place to look for amps. They go for pretty cheap. A Valveking would do you pretty good. I played one whilst in New Zealand and it sounded great for blues and classic rock. I've never seen one in Aus though.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
i think my best bet is to try them out, although i would like a new amp now, might take some time to get the cash for a marshall
thanks anyway guys
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
washborn acoustic
My Build
Keep your mind open
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by bluesnewb
thanks i'll look into them and also wood i be better to save and get a marshall dsl 401
40 watt combo amp.

not necessarily - the 'budget' marshalls are far from the best you can get for the price. There are many better amps within the same price range which are only the same price or cheaper because they don't have the marshall logo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I wouldn't recommend the DSL401 for classic rock and blues; I had one and it was far too modern sounding. (I also thought it sounded pants, so I sold it )

A lot of good, small valve amps for your genre have been recommended. Am I right in thinking you havn't been playing long? If so I'd be inclined to go with a good modelling amp such as a vox valvetronix or a Line6 flextone - They'll give you some tonal flexibility and a lot of effects to play around with before you settle on what kind of tone you really want.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!