So I'm looking to upgrade from my teeny 15-watt amp which is a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15-R. I'm currently using an Ibanez AR-250 which I'm looking to keep using, but I might get a new guitar too, though right now the focus is the amp. But, I'm essentially retarted when it comes to equipment knowledge, so I really don't know where to start. A lot of what I play could be classed as "Modern Rock" - a lot of Tool, Rage, NIN, Faith No More, Radiohead, Failure, At The Drive-In; some more grunge-y stuff like Alice In Chains & Soundgarden; and some older stuff like Joy Division, New Order and early Cure, plus a little bit of metal - Sabbath, Machine Head and Iron Maiden. The main problem I have with my current amp is that I can't get a "full" or "rich" sound unless I turn up the dirty tone knob of my guitar, which gives up giving a terrible piercing sound and nasty feedback; if I don't turn that knob up, everything sounds as though it's mixed too low.

Tone wise, I'm looking for something with good clean level (think emulating the acoustic of Alice In Chains' Jar of Flies EP with clean electric) and pretty good distortion, though I don't need super hi-gain because I don't shred.

I'm looking to be gigging sometime within next year, and my price range is around $800AU, though that's slightly flexible. I've looked at the chart on the the 'Ultimate Gear Thread' for Marshall amps, which suggests a JCM 800 or 900 might be the way to go, but I'm looking to see if anyone else has any suggestions on where to start off.
I'm not an expert in this area so bump for ya. Good thread too!

800 AUD = $744 US. What is the used market like down there or were you wanting new? Are Laney's available there new or used? You could probably get a used JCM for that or maybe a used Mesa for a little more. Someone else can take over, cause I don't know.
Maybe look at Orange. One of my friends has a rocker 30 and it seems good for the bands you mentioned. Also it will be easily loud enough for gigging, unless your playing stadiums. Im not sure about the availability/price of them in aus, but im sure you find one on eBay in your price range.
dude marshall is what you need. they are THE best amps out there. if your looking for something that can either wail, shred, blast, jam, and completely crush all other amps, marshall is the thing.
Line 6 came out with the new Spider Valve 212 Combo. Its a tube (incredible quality) combo amp with every possible effect that you can think of, 2x12 celestion speakers i think (great), and its only around 800 bucks (incredible deal for a tube). Its 40 watts, and probably the best amp you could buy right now for under a $k.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV212-LIST

Specs:
40W Class AB tube amp through (2) 12AX7 preamp tubes and (2) 6L6 power tubes
2x12-inch configuration featuring Premium Celestion® Vintage 30 speakers
12 dialed in amp models (channel voices) that deliver a complete tonal range from shimmering clean to insane grind.
7 Smart Control Effects including Tape Echo, Multi-Tap, Sweep Echo, Flanger/Chorus, Phaser, Tremolo and Reverb.
36 user programmable channels
200+ artist created presets covering the greatest guitar tones of all time
POD 2.0 XLR direct out for studio direct tone.
Quote by SPBY
Line 6 came out with the new Spider Valve 212 Combo. Its a tube (incredible quality) combo amp with every possible effect that you can think of, 2x12 celestion speakers i think (great), and its only around 800 bucks (incredible deal for a tube). Its 40 watts, and probably the best amp you could buy right now for under a $k.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-LIN-SPV212-LIST

Specs:
40W Class AB tube amp through (2) 12AX7 preamp tubes and (2) 6L6 power tubes
2x12-inch configuration featuring Premium Celestion® Vintage 30 speakers
12 dialed in amp models (channel voices) that deliver a complete tonal range from shimmering clean to insane grind.
7 Smart Control Effects including Tape Echo, Multi-Tap, Sweep Echo, Flanger/Chorus, Phaser, Tremolo and Reverb.
36 user programmable channels
200+ artist created presets covering the greatest guitar tones of all time
POD 2.0 XLR direct out for studio direct tone.

ok.
1. it's not new.
2. it's NOT the best thing you can get for under 1k
3. the celestions are cheap, they're not real authentic ones.
4. $800 for you is going to be like 1k for him.
5. you fail
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.