Hi Guys!
I think about buying the EMG81 (I like the Metallica tone) for my Ibanez SA-S32 (I play through an Engl Screamer). So i read, that this thing is active. that means that i have to connect a 9V batterie. But where can i place the 9V batterie? On the back of the guitar? back of the neck? ^^ I really don't know... and: How long, is the 9V Batterie working? Do i have to change every 2h or every 2 years?
Any ideas?

thx 4 reading!
Usually it's put into the control cavity with everything else. If you don't have enough space, a small battery compartment can be routed out and fitted with a little cover.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
I duno. Usually you place the 'batterie' ( ) in the back of the guitar with all the tone ports But I'm not shure if there would be enough room in your guitar because it's so thin

EDIT: Dog is right you'd need to get a battery compartment routed into your guitar. So you'll have to think if you really want active pickups in your guitar.
Last edited by [I Buy Peace] at Aug 3, 2008,
If you unplug your guitar everytime you stop playing, the battery should last you 1 - 1,5 year.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
You have to rewire your guitar if you have passive pick ups in it! There is a comparment in the back of your guitar where you can fit it.

Battery life depends on how much you are playing. Also pull out the guitar cable when you re done playing otherwise the battery will be drained. I replace it every 4-5 months or so, because the signal will be less strong around that time and gradually it degrades the sound.
thx to all of you!

"a small battery compartment can be routed out and fitted with a little cover." sry, i'm german, do you mean make a hole in the guitar next to the other compartment ?
You dont need to make a 'battery hole' in your guitar.

It will probably just fit in the cmpartment you already have.
You can't use an active bridge pickup with your stock neck pickup. If you change one, you'll have to change the other one too.
These go to eleven...
ah okay thx
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
You can't use an active bridge pickup with your stock neck pickup. If you change one, you'll have to change the other one too.

ehh, he can but it's not fun to deal with.
okay, but why shouldn't I do that?
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
Quote by Astaldo
okay, but why shouldn't I do that?

You CAN but its a hassle and may sound bad. It depends on the guitar as EMGs require their own set of potentiometers which have a different impedance than those used for passive humbuckers. If you have a les paul or similar configuration where each pickup has its own set of controls, you can do it. Regardless, the EMGs will have a much higher output than your passive, so you may need something to boost your passive pickup's signal so they match.
thx again!
I have another problem. I have a Ibanez SA-S32. Two humbuckers and 2 Potis for treble and volume. But when I would buy 2 active humbuckers, I have 4 Potis. 2 for each humbucker. So I can't replace both =(
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
you can wire it so that you only use 1 for each pup
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah its better to get two active pickups if you are going to use two pickups. If you are like me and just use the bridge pickup then you won't need to change out the passive neck pickups anyway... I use my neck pickup on recordings some but i use another guitar for that. But I've strayed away from actives lately. A good passive with some fat mahogany wood just sounds so sweet.