Last night ,I read on a website (I think it was www.wiihealthy,com ) or something to that effect, that they did a test for a month, where everyone ate and drank the same amount they normaly would, and did whatever exercise (which wasn't much, just walking to work and back, etc) that they used to, but played wii sports for, I think it was 30 minutes a day.

They did this survey, and people actually lost weight, body fat and beats off their heart rate.

For example:

This man lost 9 pounds (over a month)
2% Body fat
and 20 bpm off his resting heart rate.

So, in the name of wii-science, i have decided to try it. I went downstairs at quarter past 10, and started by playing 30 minutes of wii tennis, then played til 10 to 11 playing boxing (very hard work, sweating quite a bit).

Anyone think this will actually work?

I'll keep up-to-date what I do and stuff, if anyone's interested.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
You tell me,

does playing Guitar Hero make you better at guitar?

I guess to a certain extent it could work, but it'll never be as good as the real thing.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You tell me,

does playing Guitar Hero make you better at guitar?

I guess to a certain extent it could work, but it'll never be as good as the real thing.

Yes, I'm not saying that it's as good as going down to the gym and stuff, but, for people like me who really can't be bothered to go down and get a gym membership and stuff, it's really good for keeping semi healthy.

The boxing is actually really hard work, and, from what i remember the last time I went to the gym at school, I got more exhausted playing that than going on the cycling machine for 30 mins. Cycling does just work the leg muscles, though..
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
I Like Wii fit-board better. It tells you your ideal Bpm when you put in your height and age. It's brilliant. Get teh Wii board. Its much better than Wii sports.

But that being said, I love cycling. Cycling for me gives me a better feeling when Wii , its a good feeling to know when you get back exhausted and sweating that you're reducing the risk of any health problesm
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by eggo_boi_15
I Like Wii fit-board better. It tells you your ideal Bpm when you put in your height and age. It's brilliant. Get teh Wii board. Its much better than Wii sports.

But that being said, I love cycling. Cycling for me gives me a better feeling when Wii , its a good feeling to know when you get back exhausted and sweating that you're reducing the risk of any health problesm

I've been looking into getting the wii board, but, I thought...really...how does standig on a board make you fitter??
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
well you'rebeing active and taking part in excercise to an extent with the game so it makes sense that you would loose weight
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
I've been looking into getting the wii board, but, I thought...really...how does standig on a board make you fitter??

the board is intense. parellel stretch aka bridge jacknifes and pressup and side stands are three just off the top of my head that really do work. and they build you up in reps and give you challenges to beat your "trainer" etc.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou

Its not just the board you fool

You get a disc that comes with it, you can run, do balance exercises, yoga etc. Its rather good. And it shows you where your centre of gravity is, which is quite fun for people with un-stable balance problems like me. My CoG is 5 miles behind me apparently
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Well I'll look a bit more into it, but I'll stick with wii sports at the moment.

I also have mario and sonic olympics, and that's quite active, so maybe I'll try doing that as well..
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Well I'll look a bit more into it, but I'll stick with wii sports at the moment.

I also have mario and sonic olympics, and that's quite active, so maybe I'll try doing that as well..

[Off topic alert]

How is Sonic olympics? I wanted to get it but was doubtful as to how good it was.
Quote by dark&broken

maybe its just me but I couldn't stand to look at a TV screen for an hour while exercising

i'm already in front of a computer way too much....exercise is when I get to go out of the house and enjoy nature a bit
You realize you could just take a 10 minute jog each day and it would probably better then 2 hours of Wii sport?
Quote by eggo_boi_15
[Off topic alert]

How is Sonic olympics? I wanted to get it but was doubtful as to how good it was.

Urm...it's quite a fun game. It's very phsical, especially the running, and it'll get you pretty exhausted, but get a group of mates around and it's more fun than wii sports, cuz there's more games to play on it, even shooting, rowing and loads more. It's really fun, get it.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
Quote by seljer
maybe its just me but I couldn't stand to look at a TV screen for an hour while exercising

i'm already in front of a computer way too much....exercise is when I get to go out of the house and enjoy nature a bit

Haha exactly, **** exercising on a games console...
Quote by lceman13
You realize you could just take a 10 minute jog each day and it would probably better then 2 hours of Wii sport?

Play wii boxing for 30 mins and you'll understand.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Play wii boxing for 30 mins and you'll understand.

Play boxing for 30 mins and you will understand.
Quote by Jackolas
Haha exactly, **** exercising on a games console...

+1

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

i worked up quite a sweat playing boxing on eyetoy.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
i worked up quite a sweat playing boxing on eyetoy.

I've not played eyetoy for ages. Actually, I'm not too sure where my ps2 games are....I use my eyetoy as a webcam on my laptop xD
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
sounds interesting, keep us posted on it
this could be a new argumant for my parents getting me a wii
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
I've not played eyetoy for ages. Actually, I'm not too sure where my ps2 games are....I use my eyetoy as a webcam on my laptop xD

Heh. I just went to meet someone to borrow theirs to use as a mic.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by lceman13

the idea is that this is something people can do in their own home, with equipment they may already own, and without actually feeling like they are exercising. they don't have to go outside in the cold or join a gym or buy a treadmill or do really boring exercises. the point is that they are trying to find ways in which people who do not enjoy traditional forms of exercise can do activities which will 'subliminally' make them fitter than if they did nothing at all.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
Last night ,I read on a website (I think it was www.wiihealthy,com ) or something to that effect, that they did a test for a month, where everyone ate and drank the same amount they normaly would, and did whatever exercise (which wasn't much, just walking to work and back, etc) that they used to, but played wii sports for, I think it was 30 minutes a day.

They did this survey, and people actually lost weight, body fat and beats off their heart rate.

For example:

This man lost 9 pounds (over a month)
2% Body fat
and 20 bpm off his resting heart rate.

So, in the name of wii-science, i have decided to try it. I went downstairs at quarter past 10, and started by playing 30 minutes of wii tennis, then played til 10 to 11 playing boxing (very hard work, sweating quite a bit).

Anyone think this will actually work?

I'll keep up-to-date what I do and stuff, if anyone's interested.

I call bull****.
Quote by Tehzekester
I call bull****.

In response to this, I have parts of the article:

What they're going to do:

The idea behind this is that he wouldn't alter any of his day to day habits and activities, except that he would incorporate 30 minutes of Wii play into his daily schedule

The results:

Now for the main purpose of this experiment: the weight. He has lost 9 lbs by just, well playing games. So much for all the disbelievers! Whats surprising is that this regime took place during the holiday season, which means excessive eating and drinking. Don't believe me? Here are the images.

Time for the Body Mass Index now. This guy's BMI read 25.2 before the game plan and 24.0 after it. That doesn't make much sense so in simple words his waist size reduced from 34.5 inches to 31 inches. Bravo.

As far as calories are concerned, the man burnt 125 with 15 minutes of boxing which is more than the other games. 15 minutes of Tennis led to a slaughter of 92 calories and Bowling resulted in the death of 77 calories.

This bloke's body fat was 19% before the experiment and now it is 17.2%. That is a significant drop. Congratulations.

Wii Sports is a hit for the Heart Rate as well. Before this workout it was 82 and now it is 68.

However, is it not as easy as it might appear. He suffered for the infamous 'Wii elbow', which is soreness from the elbow to wrist. But, a small prize to pay for your health, don't ya agree?

At the moment I have a bit of the 'Wii elbow', but nothing too bad. It's still perfectly exercisable, and that's after 2 30 minute sessions of boxng
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
Ok. So I just finished playing on tennis and boxing again.

All in all I've played for boxing for about an hour and tennis for about 45 mins today.

My arms are aching pretty bad from 'wii elbow', but I'll see how they are in the morning.
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha
Well, let's see: standing up, flailing your arms about and actually moving vs. sitting motionless and getting a thumb workout.

I'd say it probably helps you get more fit.
We're only strays.
Quote by lceman13
Play boxing for 30 mins and you will understand.

damn straight i used to do boxing last year, try running a mile from your gym to a set of about three hundred outdoor stairs at a steep grade, run up and down that twice then run back to the boxing gym and for about an hour hit the bags up. I would literally way my self before i started working then over the two hour workout i would drink about a gallon of water which weighs about eight and a half pounds then i would weigh myself again and i weighed the same as i started.
Of course it will work. Exercising is exercising. What does it matter if you have a controller in your hand while you're doing it?