Well, the case is usually me giving the help, but I require help this time around.

To start off, it's been a while since I have had an issue with the tube amps I have had (Marshall JCM800 an a couple of others) but I have had my Orange Rockerverb 50 combo for about 3 or 4 months and never had any troubles with it. I play it for about 2-4 hours twice to three times a week at about 7 volume on the clean and dirty channels with my band. I always put it on standby for about 5 minutes before playing it at that level and then leave it on standby for about 5 minutes when I finish playing.

Anyway, on Friday at band practice, I was playing it and the tone was a bit muddy, so naturally, I tweaked some things that I am notably familar with (things that I know will affect the performance for the better) and then, later on, it suddenly dropped vastly in volume till it could just barely be heard and emitted a terrible smell. It smelled smokey but there was no visible smoke.

Now to me, this sounds like a typical tube problem, but it was very different to any tube blowout I have had before, there was never this overpowering smell and all the power amp tubes were still glowing from what i could see. The light still engages adn everything so I don't think it's PCB orientated but I am really worried.

What do you think, GG&A. I do have a good knowledge of tube amps and I'm sorry for the wall of text.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Well when the power tubes blew on my valveking this is what happened. Load of stink and no sound but no smoke.

Other than that I can't help you, sorry. Take it to a tech if you're really worried about it, nearly everything on a valve amp is fixable as you well know.
aye this sounds like discrete components blowing up, transistors giving up etc. Take it to a good guitar shop and hope they've got a knowledgable tech
Quote by hunterd_67
Take it apart n look inside?

Aye I would, but I still have a warranty that I don't want to void and I am not quite familar with its functioning as opposed to the JCM800 and Hiwatt that I owned.

I know a couple of guys that can probably fix it, and I can replace tubes if that is indeed the problem, but I'm worried due to the time restrictions I have, I need it back ASAP.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I've had a lot of tubes fail. Some have failed in pretty spectacular ways, with bright flashing and arcing, and a few even popped the glass envelope. Every time there was a smell involved (which wasn't often) it was because the tube(s) took some other components to the graveyard with them. Tubes don't generally emit any sort of odor when they die.

Some components will generate smoke when they burn out, and some won't. That's not really important. The general rule is that if you're smelling something unusual then something has gotten too hot. If the performance of the circuit has changed, then it got so hot that it failed.

If you're concerned about voiding the warranty then take it to a factory authorized service center for repair. The downside is that you're at their mercy when it comes to time. They might not be well motivated to give your repair a high priority since they are eating the cost, but if it's a good shop that isn't swamped with work then you might get good turnaround.

My recommendation would be to take it to the service center and see if they'll give you a price break on a rental while your amp is in the shop.