Whenever a country wins a sporting tournament or gets the Olympics or something similar, you see images on TV of massive parties going through the night, with millions of happy people delighted that "they" have won the Euro or whatever.

Why?

The Spanish population did not win, their football team did.
Most of the population of London won't gain much from the Olympics - unless you are a businessman or someone actually working for the Olympics, building stuff or whatever, or an English athlete, why would you care?

My reactions is more like, "K, koo'" and then move on. Am I just a cynical bastard?
Quote by seljer
You are just a cynical bastard

an excuse is a good excuse to booze up

Exactly. I remember back at the world cup, went to the pub to watch every match. It's just good to be able to go out and everyone is there for a good reason and no-one's argueing. It's far better than when you go out to watch a match and its local teams and everyone ends up fighting!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by gabcd86
Whenever a country wins a sporting tournament or gets the Olympics or something similar, you see images on TV of massive parties going through the night, with millions of happy people delighted that "they" have won the Euro or whatever.

Why?

Most of the population of London won't gain much from the Olympics - unless you are a businessman or someone actually working for the Olympics, building stuff or whatever, or an English athlete, why would you care?

My reactions is more like, "K, koo'" and then move on. Am I just a cynical bastard?

well it does create more jobs within the area also it will add facilities to the area which will be able to be used after the olympics...i think it will benefit london to be honest

more to the point it gives people something to be proud of...it makes them think they achieved something without doing anything and in the end isn't that what we all want?
Sig space available, give me some praise
It's because they enjoy the sport and when the team they like wins it makes them happy. If you ever had an interest in something you should understand. Why when bands you like come around and you see them play do you get excited? Same thing. Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean no one has the right to be happy about them.
If you feel a part of your country, then any achievement made by a team on behalf of your country, you feel a part of aswell. So you have every right to get trashed celebrating it!
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by merfsullivan
It's because they enjoy the sport and when the team they like wins it makes them happy. If you ever had an interest in something you should understand. Why when bands you like come around and you see them play do you get excited? Same thing. Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean no one has the right to be happy about them.

I do get happy when Brazil wins something, or God forbid, if England ever wins, but what I mean is the whole all-night partying thing.
But if I understand what you're all telling me, it's just an excuse to have a good time and get drunk? That makes sense to me, I like that explanation.
It's an excuse to get drunk.

I've moved past having to make up excuses, though.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
its an excuse to have fun (ie. get drunk)
some people do overreact a lot though
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by Kensai
It's an excuse to get drunk.

I've moved past having to make up excuses, though.

I heard Sweden is a country. Let's get drunk.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I heard Sweden is a country. Let's get drunk.

Way ahead of you
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Way ahead of you

Damn time zones.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by gabcd86

Why?

yes you are a cynical bastard

a national team is representing the Nation, not themselves

also the fact that it is the people that pay for the athletes to represent them as well, through the purchase of merchandice, tickets and even in taxes