Hi! how often am i supposed to change the tube in my amp? i've had my amp for at least 1½ year. and i hhave loved it but lately i have been having trouble getting decent tone when i use it on hi gain. is it time for a tube change?
Yes, one and a half year between every tube change is normal, maybe even a bit too long. Get a new one.

I am not sure about how much those amps really use the tubes but I don't think it will cost a fortune, isn't there only one tube in there?
I assume your amp only has the one pre-amp tubes. It should last a lot longer than a year and a half, depending how ofen you use it
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
I believe the valvetronix amps have 2 preamp tubes. From what i remember looking at my friend's, it doesn't look to easy to access the tubes. I could be wrong, though.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
will they last shorter if i use a distorsion pedal alot? cause iv'e used a metal muff quite alot....
That depends. If the level of your pedal is so high that the tube itself distorts (which by the way might be a great way to get the pedal to "bond" with your amp), then tube life can be a bit shorter but I don't think it'll be anything major.
Quote by johlin
Yes, one and a half year between every tube change is normal, maybe even a bit too long. Get a new one.

I am not sure about how much those amps really use the tubes but I don't think it will cost a fortune, isn't there only one tube in there?

Not really accurate. More like 180 hrs of use. I f you play 2 hrs a day then yeah, but 2 hrs a week you got some time. It's all in the usage.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
does all preamp tubes fit in all amps or are there different connctions and stuff so i have to find something with a special connection that fis vox amps?
yeah i think it's 12ax7 to... anyway, i guess that info should be in the manual---
Quote by johlin
You need the right kind of tube (which I think is 12AX7).

Although that does beg the question. Will the valvetronix profit from a different type of tube? will a 5751 make any appreciable difference?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
well I'm not really too interested in experimenting right now, I'm just happy if i get my tone back. but this should work, right?

Link
Quote by scott58
Although that does beg the question. Will the valvetronix profit from a different type of tube? will a 5751 make any appreciable difference?

That is a very good question. I've only tried that once with a 12AT7 in the preamp of my AC15 and the only difference I noticed was how early/late it would break up.

I think I remember seeing that the AD series have got a push/pull power amp on some models so maybe you could put different tubes in the sockets (12AU7 and 12AX7 for example) to get asymmetrical power amp distortion (if you can even crank it that far)
If youve suddenly noticed a difference in tonal change, and havent messed with any of the settings such as the Eq, it is probably time to change the tubes.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by space_ace__
well I'm not really too interested in experimenting right now, I'm just happy if i get my tone back. but this should work, right?

Link

Yes, that one will work. There are however cheaper ones to be had and if I recall correctly the Mesa Boogie tubes are just relabeled version of those cheap ones.