I've finally face the fact that my amp now is shocking and no matter how many pedals I use, it won't cover up for good tone. I've been playing for just over two years and im finally getting an ear for good tone. Right now I have a dreaded MG30DFX, which to be honest isn't too bad if im not in the mood for gain, which I use a pedal either OD-1 or my zoom G2. So I play Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Jazz, Blues and Heavy Metal. I have a Fender MIM hss and an Epiphone Les Paul 100 (which I want to replace with a Custom, or atleast Standard)

At this stage im really looking for a versatile amp that can give me good cleans, to crunch to an heavy - grunty gain. As much as i'd love a Mesa Recifier, I doubt i'll be able to handle the sound of my current amp untill i'd be able to afford a whopping 5 grand (Australian) for a head and cab. Unless I get a Single, but still its really pushing my limit.

I think I should stay clear of solid states because I want a nice amp that I can keep for a while, knowing this i'll have to save up and buy a fair priced amp am I right?

My approx budget is probably up to 1800 - 3000 AUS but i'll probably get some extra if need be. Yes I know thats a big price difference, but with the left over money I would get a Hellraiser or something.

But other than that i've never thought of seriously considering higher-end amps before so im not sure what to consider. Help?
You might want to look at an Orange. Maybe AD30TC or Rocker 30. Apparently very good cleans, like an AC30 but a bit darker. Perfect for jazz and blues. The drive channel is also great, or at least so I've heard. Should be able to handle everything from light crunch to high gain.
Quote by johlin
You might want to look at an Orange. Maybe AD30TC or Rocker 30. Apparently very good cleans, like an AC30 but a bit darker. Perfect for jazz and blues. The drive channel is also great, or at least so I've heard. Should be able to handle everything from light crunch to high gain.

The Rocker 30 would be a good choice, you could probably stretch to a Rockerverb 50 combo, and in my opinion, it's better than the rocker 30 as you have more tonal control (and reverb :p It could easily handle anything but very very high gain metal

The AD30 is a more clean and light gain oriented amp, it won't really be able to handle high gain without a separate pedal - but it does do cleans and low gain better than the Rocker series.

My recommendation would be for the Laney VH100R and a cab of your choice. I'm not sure how much it costs in Australia but here it costs around £600, so you should be able to pick one up for around $1500AUD. This would allow you to get a cab of your choice.

The VH100R is, in my opinion, very underrated. It can do anything from clean to very high gain- and it does it well. It has 2 channels each with footswitchable gain/drive, so in effect it has 4 channels, it also has bright switches and fx loops and all that jazz

You can't go wrong with the Laney VH100R
For what you want, I would go with a Mesa Boogie Lonestar or a Laney VH100R. Both are great amps, Laney does Metal better in my opinion, but the Lonestar can do a lot of gain that most people think of it to do.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by alexlemon2
The Rocker 30 would be a good choice, you could probably stretch to a Rockerverb 50 combo, and in my opinion, it's better than the rocker 30 as you have more tonal control (and reverb :p It could easily handle anything but very very high gain metal

The AD30 is a more clean and light gain oriented amp, it won't really be able to handle high gain without a separate pedal - but it does do cleans and low gain better than the Rocker series.

Oh really? I thought they were pretty much the same amps just that the AD30 had a different clean channel and more controls. Turns out I was wrong then.

Interesting. Maybe I should rather GAS for the Rocker 30 then.
Yeah i'd love a Mesa, but they cost a fair bit... but should I just continue to save?

If thats the case how are Express medium heads and the solo 50 single Rectifiers? I sure know that I don't need a 100w Tube.
And also, are the marshall 1960's a win?