I am going to start by saying three things

I AM getting a halfstack

I AM getting a solid state amp
and
I AM NOT going to listen to you if you just spout the relentless carp that is the fight between solid state and tube.

Now, onto business.
I am playing in a band and need to upgrade to a bigger amp. We play similar stuff to, Parkway Drive, I Killed The Prom Queen, Evergreen Terrace and Comeback kid. We are gigging and will not have access to a PA for most of these gigs.

Just because i dont necessarily need a stack does not mean i can't have one. I'm looking at the Crate Flexwave 120 halfstack, the Randall 100 stack, a Marshell mg100 or the Line 6 spider III stack.

Now heres the questions, in comparison to each other ( this is really important, i dont want comparisons to tube amps or combos) which is the better?

Do you know of any other amps of similar size/style/price?

I play mainly my Epiphone Les Paul custom with EMG's (active) and need a good high gain, and i dont really need a perfect clean channel, so of the amps mentioned which has that?

Thank you for all your help.
Proud Australian.
Last edited by AchillesCore at Aug 3, 2008,
Would you rather have the plague or cholera?

Just wondering, why have you decided that you want a solid state amp? I don't see a problem with not ruling them out, but is there a good reason why you desperately do not want a tube amp? Isn't the important thing what sounds the best, not what technology there is inside of it?

Same thing goes with stack of course. Why do you need one? It'll just be 2 things to carry around instead of 1.
Lol, dont get a marshall mg100, its like my pratice amp (which i hate) and it sounds like ****, terrible cleans and distortion (regardless of how 'crushing' its overdrive is). that said though the spider is more reasonable.... spider valve of course :P.
Well Johlin, id personally prefer the plauge... i dont know but boils interest me.
My main reason for not going for Valve is price.
i know i can get a 100 wat SS for the same price as a 50 watt valve.
Also there is Distortion, the fact that i dont need a perfect clean channel means i dont need to fork out the extra to get tube, then theres the handling.
I didnt mean to sound so... umm excluding. It's just that ive asked for a comparison of these particular amps, and the last time i did all i got was " No get these tube amps" i just want opinions on these amps.
As for wanting a stack, well its just that i want a stack... simple as that
Proud Australian.
Last edited by AchillesCore at Aug 3, 2008,
Lol, 50 watts valve would be equal to, maybe more, the volume of 100 watts solid state. Prices can be dear in AU but go online and get some good deals (used). I support you wanting a half stack, because it's what you want. You can find some great deals on eBay with cabs. Tube heads are also going cheap on eBay. Don't limit yourself just because something that looks good is in your price range.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Its not the looks... i really wouldnt care if the amp was puple and furry. Its the sound and from some friends and other forums ive heard that the crate has really good tone for metalcore/hardcore
Proud Australian.
you DO know that you don't need 100 watts to gig right?

So, you're faced with choices:

A: Spend your cash on an oversized practice amp, which will sound like bees in a box. But, at least it's a stack so people think your cool for owning a stack .

B: Spend your cash on a more portable amp, with still more than enough gigging power, with much better tone. But, it's not a stack, so when people see you they immediately think you are a lame person because you play a combo .

It's your choice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
lol, dude, the price may be a bit high, but just stick 2 getting the spider valve, i reckon its probably the best (low priced) amp that u can get. besides... its not about what it looks like, but what it sounds like... Im sure the Spider Valve 112 combo will sound warmer
(and sooooo much better) than a MG fullstack...

That said though, if ur still intent on buying any of these amps then just stick with the spider III.

P.S: 100 watts of SS is pure unadultareted crap
Last edited by kai2demax at Aug 3, 2008,
About loudness, a 50 watt tube amp is about as loud as a 150 watt solid state amp. Tubes produce harmonics which the ear is more sensitive towards. So while a 30 watt tube amp is plenty loud for gigs, a 30 watt solid state will get lost (you probably need 100). Also, tubes do distort more richly. They produce almost entirely second-order harmonics which will sound fat and musical while distorted transistors will produce all kinds of weird harmonics which will sound out of key, unmusical and buzzy.

On the other hand, solid state amps don't need output transformers that weigh a ton so your back will appreciate a solid state amp.

That above is not opinion, it is simply technical facts about the technical differences.

If you still want a solid state amp, I would say at least stay away from Marshall MG and Line6 Spider, and good luck!
But to answer your question, i'd go with the randall.
But, there are many amps which are better at the same price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
you DO know that you don't need 100 watts to gig right?

So, you're faced with choices:

A: Spend your cash on an oversized practice amp, which will sound like bees in a box. But, at least it's a stack so people think your cool for owning a stack .

B: Spend your cash on a more portable amp, with still more than enough gigging power, with much better tone. But, it's not a stack, so when people see you they immediately think you are a lame person because you play a combo .

It's your choice.

Haha thanks mate. But i already have a combo 80 watt, its just ****. its the worst amp. Ashton GA80. Without a PA it barely gets above my drummer. At our last gig people complained that the couldnt hear the guitar. I want a bigger amp. One i can gig with without a PA.
Proud Australian.
Well, what were your mids set at?
If you scoop your mids, thats why you couldn't be heard.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, what were your mids set at?
If you scoop your mids, thats why you couldn't be heard.

Oh yes that's also important. If you scoop your mids, your guitar will just be fighting with the bass and vocals about the same frequencies. The midrange is all yours. Crank the mids.

80 solid state watts will not get lost unless you scoop the mids.
Quote by AchillesCore
Haha thanks mate. But i already have a combo 80 watt, its just ****. its the worst amp. Ashton GA80. Without a PA it barely gets above my drummer. At our last gig people complained that the couldnt hear the guitar. I want a bigger amp. One i can gig with without a PA.

You are either really dumb or are a troll. That Ashton is a SS amp. Get a tube amp if you're gigging. SS is for practice in your bedroom. And you only need 50 (tube)watts to get very loud, and you only need a combo. I realize you already said you don't want these but you have no clue what you are talking about.

*smack over the head*
Quote by AchillesCore
haha now i sound like a noob... Scoop mids?

Scoop = turn down. Many metal player put mids at 0, bass and treble high and think it sounds awesome. I'm sure it does. But that will make you totally lost i the mix. The bass frequencies are occupied by the bass and the treble frequencies are occupied by some of the drums, vocals and so on. The midrange is all yours though, so if you just turn up the mids you will be heard.
no i have my mids higher then my treble for everything i play.

Tubeguy. Thanks for your help man.
Proud Australian.
Quote by johlin
Scoop = turn down. Many metal player put mids at 0, bass and treble high and think it sounds awesome. I'm sure it does. But that will make you totally lost i the mix. The bass frequencies are occupied by the bass and the treble frequencies are occupied by some of the drums, vocals and so on. The midrange is all yours though, so if you just turn up the mids you will be heard.

I concur. Also, if you buy Tube you may want to max your mids because they sound so good.
Yeh my guitar teacher told me about all that frequency stuff and since then ive always played my mids high. I like them higher anyway? Thats beside the point. All i wanted was some opinions on the specific amps i had listed and once again it got sidetracked to the tube/ss pitch.

Ok so if i were to go with a randall 50 watt head and 4x12" cab that would be fine to gig WITHOUT A PA?
Proud Australian.
Quote by AchillesCore
Yeh my guitar teacher told me about all that frequency stuff and since then ive always played my mids high. I like them higher anyway? Thats beside the point. All i wanted was some opinions on the specific amps i had listed and once again it got sidetracked to the tube/ss pitch.

Ok so if i were to go with a randall 50 watt head and 4x12" cab that would be fine to gig WITHOUT A PA?

if the randall in question isn't ss then definitely
Hm... no it's still only 50 SS watts. It's going to be about the same volume as a single 12" speaker. But it will definitely look cooler to some people. Not me though, I like seeing the smiles and amazement on peoples faces when they hear my 1x12 tube combo turned up. If you will not sway from SS then you probably wanna get at least 100w for gigging... maybe more.
Used Crate Bloo Voodoo or Peavey Ultra or VK halfstack, same price, awesome amps... Game over, insert coin.

TS - Why would you disregard every bit of good advise you are given? You can get a used tube halfstack for the same price you are willing to pay for new crap, just so you know.