I have recently purchased an Ibanez ART300. (brown caimen)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ibanez.com/images/insets/ART300BNC_IBZactivePickups_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ibanez.com/EG/guitar.aspx%3Fm%3DART300&h=507&w=760&sz=88&hl=en&start=15&tbnid=fiylm2dEpJcZZM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3DIbanez%2BART300%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has an Ibanez with these pickups? I play through a Vox amp and I am wondering if it is my amp that is so "bassy"... or the pickups?
I literally have to turn the bass on my amp completely down to keep it at a balanced tone. Damn thing sounds more like a bass guitar sometimes.

If this could be stemming from my pickups, how hard would it be for me to replace them with EMG's? Or would that not fix it?

I am still fairly new to playing guitar so I may sound stupid asking this.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
try to get a new amp. if it's still bassy, get new pickups.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
ive found the same problem with epi les pauls. i say that while a better amp will definitely get you better tone, this problem can likely be fixed by brighter pickups. i hear evos are good for brightening up a les paul.

ive owned two vox amps and both were on the bright side of neutral to my ears. i dont know what model your amp is but chances are it isnt the amp. try turning down the bass knob.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Aug 3, 2008,
this may make you out to be a complete idiot, but is your tone turned all the way down. When I started playing electric guitar, my guitar sounded really bassy, and I couldn't find out why. Then I touched the tone knob.
Quote by monkey22
this may make you out to be a complete idiot, but is your tone turned all the way down. When I started playing electric guitar, my guitar sounded really bassy, and I couldn't find out why. Then I touched the tone knob.

While you would be correct, that would make me out to be an idiot...
No! That is definitely not the case. I have tried a multitude of different pickup, and tone, settings to try to work this out. Just seems really bassy.
The only reason I thought it could be the Ibanez pickups was the fact my Epi Les Paul doesnt sound anything like that. Now mind you, this is not a Epi Les Paul Custom with any kind of decent pickup in it or nothing. All the same, my daughter's Fender Squier doesnt sound like that either.

Which brings me back to my original question...

Quote by leviticus_22953
try to get a new amp. if it's still bassy, get new pickups.

Thats like working on a car and just replacing parts till you figure out what is "really" wrong with it. Not a wise idea.

All the people on here right now and nobody has there 2 cent to add? :stickpoke
Wow, thats a first.

*bump*

On the one hand, yeah I think the amp is to low end heavy (i'm not a big fan of the AD series), but on the other hand I'd be surprised if an EQ didn't help out a bit. To be sure just take your guitar to a shop and plug into a few different amps. When i'm evaluating pickups on a guitar I like to plug into the cleanest thing i can find first. a PA with an eq for example then plug it into something with good distortion and crank it up. In this case though I'd look at different amps, but like I said i don't really like that one anyway.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
try another guitar through your amp, see how it sounds, try your guitar through another amp and see how it sounds. you should be able to work it out from that

by AC30 isn't bassy at all, its quite bright, but i don't know how similar that is to the AD15 (not very, would be my guess)
lol@u