Hey all,

I'm a little confused as to what the major differences are in certain PRS models. I play a wide variety of music but i want a PRS which can handle rock and metal as well. I would have thought the Custom 24 was a good option. Opeth use them, however on their recent album they have changed to CE 24's.

Can someone tell me the main differences in CE24/22 and Custom24's please??

If they CE could handle metal and rock i would be tempted to go for it as it is a good few 100bucks cheaper than the Custom 24.

Many thanks,
Steve.

P.S
What does CE even stand for out of interest?
They are both more or less the same, only the Custom has slightly better build and materials. They both are awesome guitars and really versatile, both have Dragon II pickups and should handle more or less any thing you want to throw at it.
Ah ok, so its more or less a question of wood and material grade used i guess. Thank you very much.
There isn't a problem with the PRSs' versatility, you can play pretty much anything on them, the only difference is the Custom is made from slightly enhanced mahogany.
from looking at the PRS website (maybe the others here advising on the differences might do well to check it ), the CEs have bolt-on necks, while the customs have set necks. Neither is worse (though bolt-on generally is cheaper), but they will sound quite a bit different.

there's also an alder CE, which would sound slightly more different again.

Have you tried patrick eggles, by the way? nice guitars, and you can pick up the 90s ones (the sought-after ones, more or less) for under £500, or certainly normally under £1000 for the higher-end models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey Dave,

Thanks for that reply! Although i must say it has left me even more confused. I was almost hoping there wasnt much of a difference lol. I guess i've always wanted a PRS, although i have checked out Patrick Eggles and they seem to be beautiful guitars also! I live in a rural area, so unfortunatly trying out all these guitars will never happen. I have to research it as best i can to make sure i buy the most suitable one for me. I just need a versatile guitar that can supply me with nice mellow cleans as well as working well with as much gain as i ever may want to throw at it! If i only knew the difference the wood type and bolt neck would make compared to that of a Custom 24! Hmm...

Thanks for everyones input so far!
Steve.
go try em and see which one you like the most
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Quote by Odium_Halo
Hey Dave,

Thanks for that reply! Although i must say it has left me even more confused. I was almost hoping there wasnt much of a difference lol. I guess i've always wanted a PRS, although i have checked out Patrick Eggles and they seem to be beautiful guitars also! I live in a rural area, so unfortunatly trying out all these guitars will never happen. I have to research it as best i can to make sure i buy the most suitable one for me. I just need a versatile guitar that can supply me with nice mellow cleans as well as working well with as much gain as i ever may want to throw at it! If i only knew the difference the wood type and bolt neck would make compared to that of a Custom 24! Hmm...

Thanks for everyones input so far!
Steve.

ah, yeah, not being able to try out would suck. i guess, bolt-on necks tend to be a bit brighter and snappier-sounding with faster attack, while set necks are kind of warmer- and smoother-sounding, but can get a little indistinct for higher gain stuff.

basically, bit like the difference in tone between a strat/tele and a les paul (though obviously the different pickups will make a major difference there too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
CE = Classic Electric

And I wouldn't advise buying a PRS without playing one. I was really hyped up to buy one until I finally played it and it didn't blow my pants off like I thought it would. It's definetely a great guitar, but it isn't the epitome a perfect guitar like a lot of people like to make it out to be.

Also Opeth used CE's in the past, but they've also used a lot of other guitars in the past as well. Even live they'll use Gibson LP's.
yeah, when i tried a CE ages back i wasn't exactly blown away either. the mccartys are nice, but they get expensive really quickly (especially here in europe). they're nice guitars, don't get me wrong, just if you ask me they aren't nice enough for the money, in europe at least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, when i tried a CE ages back i wasn't exactly blown away either. the mccartys are nice, but they get expensive really quickly (especially here in europe). they're nice guitars, don't get me wrong, just if you ask me they aren't nice enough for the money, in europe at least.

Same here.

Their Swamp Ash model seemed like a near perfect guitar on paper, but when I finally tried one I didn't like it all that much.

Either the three of us are insane, or there is a slight amount of unjustified hyping going on (of course it's mainly down to personal taste)...

So as said before, make sure to try it before buying.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 3, 2008,
i dunno about unjustified hype, i'm not sure a lot of the people who love them think they're hyping. certainly, if all you've tried is a squier or chinese epiphone, then a PRS is going to seem badass. the problem is, PRS is high profile, so it's what most people think of as a high-end guitar, and a lot of people either won't try its competitors, or else don't have the chance to as shops near them don't stock them.

I dunno about you, but i'd rather have a vigier/huber/tyler/eggle etc. than a PRS.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno about unjustified hype, i'm not sure a lot of the people who love them think they're hyping. certainly, if all you've tried is a squier or chinese epiphone, then a PRS is going to seem badass. the problem is, PRS is high profile, so it's what most people think of as a high-end guitar, and a lot of people either won't try its competitors, or else don't have the chance to as shops near them don't stock them.

+1

Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno about you, but i'd rather have a vigier/huber/tyler/eggle etc. than a PRS.

I would. In fact, I do
oh yeah, i know.

a local shop became a vigier dealer a while back. I think they have 3 or 4 (I've tried one so far). things like that don't help GAS.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, i know.

a local shop became a vigier dealer a while back. I think they have 3 or 4 (I've tried one so far). things like that don't help GAS.

What I like about Vigier is that even the cheaper (if that's the right word) models like the Indus are amazing and have the same kickass features like the carbon fibre strip as the more expensive ones.

By the way, if you ever need to find a specific model or if you want info on Vigier you can call/ask the UK distributor (Ben Whatsley) who also happens to be a member of this site. I'm sure he'll be able to help you cure your GAS
I hadn't even taken UK prices into consideration...

I didn't even think the Custom 22 was worth its $2200 price tag and they have to be something crazy over there like £1500 - £1800 right?

You UK'ers do seem to have more options in the "crazy nice" tier of guitars though...
^ yeah, i think so. Maybe even more than that, they can hit £2000+ when you get the options like bird inlays etc.

dunno about more options... things like eggle etc. are pretty rare in the USA, but then they aren't really needed when you get much better deals on things like PRS, suhr, tyler etc. The reason so many "boutique" companies spring up here in europe (if you ask me, anyway) is that people starting a business think, "if run-of-the-mill off-the-shelf stuff is going for boutique prices here, maybe i could make a go of starting my own boutique business"... of course, a lot of people will still only buy it if it says "fender" or "gibson" on it...

Quote by Bonsaischaap
What I like about Vigier is that even the cheaper (if that's the right word) models like the Indus are amazing and have the same kickass features like the carbon fibre strip as the more expensive ones.

By the way, if you ever need to find a specific model or if you want info on Vigier you can call/ask the UK distributor (Ben Whatsley) who also happens to be a member of this site. I'm sure he'll be able to help you cure your GAS

oh, i need some way of curing it which doesn't involve buying a vigier. EDIT: that's what i like about eggles too. the cheaper ones don't have as fancy tops, but they're still kickass guitars... bar the pickups on the earlier ones. that's an easy fix though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T!AN
I hadn't even taken UK prices into consideration...

I didn't even think the Custom 22 was worth its $2200 price tag and they have to be something crazy over there like £1500 - £1800 right?

You UK'ers do seem to have more options in the "crazy nice" tier of guitars though...

The cheapest Custom 22 currently on GAK.co.uk is 2000 pounds (about 4 grand US). They also have a maple top CE22 for 1600 pounds.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?search=1&k=&m=PRS&t=---+search+by+product+type+---&x=42&y=12&c=Electric+Guitars&s=

Quote by Dave_Mc

oh, i need some way of curing it which doesn't involve buying a vigier.

That could be a problem...
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 3, 2008,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The cheapest Custom 22 currently on GAK.co.uk is 2000 pounds (about 4 grand US). They also have a maple top CE22 for 1600 pounds.

Gahh... the insanity

/beating a dead horse

All this talk of such fancy guitars is giving me some serious GAS, ahh...
Dave Mc... just out of curiosity, where in Northern Ireland are you from? I'm also in Northern Ireland coincidentally enough!

Thanks everyone for your replies, im taking it all in and thinking about all my possibilities, buying options etc. This is very helpful. I'm not committed to PRS only - it's just a versatile option which i had some confusion about when it came to models.

I'm pretty sure selling my customized Ibanez JS100 and Epiphone SG is'nt going to make me much extra money to help - but its time i stepped up into a higher quality of guitar - i dislike all the electric's i have at this stage and would rather have one really good electric!

Steve
Last edited by Odium_Halo at Aug 3, 2008,
pm sent with (very approximate) location (yes, i'm paranoid)

what's your amp, by the way? if you're willing to go to PRS prices and don't have a kickass amp, it might be a wiser idea splitting the budget...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pm sent with (very approximate) location (yes, i'm paranoid)

what's your amp, by the way? if you're willing to go to PRS prices and don't have a kickass amp, it might be a wiser idea splitting the budget...

Basically Dave, I've been playing guitar for about 12 years. After the first 5 years i upgraded from a beginner budget set up to a more 'intermediate' set up with better quality gear. I feel i've been using that intermediate stuff for so long now and its got to the stage where i really notice how lacking it all is in some areas and i feel I'm ready to move into much better quality gear as the stuff i have just does not satisfy me anymore at all - there are too many flaws!

The amp i have is a Marshal Mode 4 half stack. This is a fairly decent amp but I'm not very happy with it either. If i was to split my budget i'd end up with an intermediate guitar and intermediate amp, which is what i feel i already have! So the way im going to work it is, im going to try to get a much better quality guitar now - then in the near future upgrade my amp head to something like a Diezel VH4 or something. I do understand your point tho - sometimes your electric guitar is only going to be as good as what your playing threw! But i have no choice, this set up upgrade needs to be done in two stages. Thanks again people...

Steve

(P.S Dave Mc - i PM'd you back, seems we are neighbours lol).
yeah, i know what you're saying. that's fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?