Victor Wooten
26 15%
Flea
41 24%
Les Claypool
36 21%
Voters: 174.
Page 1 of 3
Due to some logical points made by various members of the thread I am going to eliminate Geddy Lee from the poll. Even though he is awesome and influential, he is the least modern person on the top of the polls. John Myung is staying.

Justin Chancellor
John Myung
Chris Wolstenholme
Victor Wooten
Flea
Les Claypool

If someone wants to open up a Bass Player elimination thread they should do so.
john myung for sure.

DREAM THEATER FOR THE WIN!

EDIT: why would you remove geddy lee? rush still makes music. im pretty sure their ever changing music could be considered modern. this is some serious bulls***.
Last edited by davis1393 at Aug 3, 2008,
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
*Trivia* Les Claypool auditioned for Metallica after the death of Cliff Burton. The reason why he was not accepted was because he didn't play "their style of music"... whatever that may mean...
Quote by MC_Rimes
*Trivia* Les Claypool auditioned for Metallica after the death of Cliff Burton. The reason why he was not accepted was because he didn't play "their style of music"... whatever that may mean...

Listen to Claypool play master of puppets and you will know.

No matter how good he is on bass, he would NEVER work with Metallica... imo
Quote by MC_Rimes

i though what they say was "his style was too good for them" or something like that, atleast i read that in a bass magazine 2 months ago
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
For the record, Kirk Hammett and Les Claypool were classmates at De Anza HS (where Les was called "Disco Les" for his love of funk infused bass riffs). In fact quite a few people that heavily influenced the sounds that were dominate in the late 80s / early 90s came out of that region of the East Bay, particularly the area around Richmond and El Sobrante.

And depending on who you talk to in Metallica, he was either too good or wasn't right for their type of music.
I don't get why Claypool has so many votes, I've always seen him as overrated! Anyway - Myung ftw.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Despite prefering the playing of Myung and Claypool, I voted for Chancellor as I feel he is likely to be to most influential on future players.

Myung doesn't do much new. He just does it very well. Claypool is just to out there to be a serious influence on most player.

Chancellor's driving riffs and heavy use of effects are a stepup on a lot of what has come before, andby makingit fit so well, he is opening a lot of new roads for bass player (namely justifying massive pedalboards).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm gonna have to go with Wooten because hes just such an influential bass player, to me a least. He's master every style of bass playing and hes always got such emotion in his playing.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
^he's also a technical robot.
I never feel any of the soul when he plays.
Chris still leads the list in my opinion, even though he's losing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
^he's also a technical robot.
I never feel any of the soul when he plays.
Chris still leads the list in my opinion, even though he's losing.

It sounds like arse when he's double thumping, but he really puts some emotion into his playing when he isn't going at 200m/h.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Welsh Guitar
It sounds like arse when he's double thumping, but he really puts some emotion into his playing when he isn't going at 200m/h.

Fuzzinator, Bruce, Claypool, heck,even ol 'Lightning' Wentz have more soul playing slowly. and all of those (excluding Wentz) can speed up without losing their soul.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Welsh Guitar
I don't get why Claypool has so many votes, I've always seen him as overrated! Anyway - Myung ftw.

You may only think hes over rated because of the amount of people who think he is good. I, personally, think he is quite good and think that more people (who don't play bass) should check out what he does.
Quote by TormentedRx
You may only think hes over rated because of the amount of people who think he is good. I, personally, think he is quite good and think that more people (who don't play bass) should check out what he does.

Claypool is overrated, most of his songs are just one riff repeated ad nauseum, sometimes it's two riffs and maybe a miraculous three, but you get the point. He has so many out of scale notes in his phrases, hell lot of out of tune notes playing that fretless and has the tendency to be very sloppy.
Quote by watchingmefall
Claypool is overrated, most of his songs are just one riff repeated ad nauseum, sometimes it's two riffs and maybe a miraculous three, but you get the point. He has so many out of scale notes in his phrases, hell lot of out of tune notes playing that fretless and has the tendency to be very sloppy.

i agree with you in many thigs, i am no claypool fan but the way he uses out of scale notse or out of tune notes on his fretkess is what makes him so good, not many bassis cant play that "bad" and still sound great
all this IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I voted for les claypool because I think he is the most innovative out of the group. His whacky techniques and styles, and avant-grade basslines that have actually succesfully made primus a commercially famous band put him in a league of his own.

Justin Chancellor was the runner-up because he is also very innovative and obviously a crucial link in tool, his ability to meldoize and harmonize in just about every time signature around is simply astounding.

John Myung is extremely skilled, but really all he ever does is play whatever john petrucci does - which isnt very influential bass playing, as complex and vitruostic as it might.
Quote by Trabo

John Myung is extremely skilled, but really all he ever does is play whatever john petrucci does - which isnt very influential bass playing, as complex and vitruostic as it might.

He reinforces the harmony and makes it the rhythm, then Portnoy can blend in with it.

When he isn't following Petrucci he usually follows Jordan Rudess' left hand pattern.

Either way, it sounds awesome. People want their bass playing to blend in with music to sound awesome. What's not so influential about it?

He can hang with the band and he can hang alone with his solos. Influential enough for me.

Myung gets my vote.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
Who is this Justin Chancellor fellow and why is he beating my dear Fuzzinator?

Modern guys, modern!
You stole my Overture
mmmm... sexy Chris...

you beat that Chancellor DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by thegiaco2112
well i´ll vote for a dude with a school tie if that dude is angus young
In the context of this poll, that would be ridiculous.
Quote by thegiaco2112
no no no my friend humanity
(Invalid img)

He doesnt rock as hard as the Fuzzinator!
You stole my Overture
Quote by smb
[imgpic of scary looking wild man/img]

How is this guy not better than Chris Whatshisfuckingname in every possible way?

Chris doesn't need to look like Jesus to get worshipped.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

not for Chris
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

What about Buckethead? He's also a bassist (he can slap faster and with more accuracy and power than a pimp on meth) but then again there isn't a particularly large volume of work involving him as a bassist.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube with him as a bassist. Check it out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
What about Buckethead? He's also a bassist (he can slap faster and with more accuracy and power than a pimp on meth) but then again there isn't a particularly large volume of work involving him as a bassist.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube with him as a bassist. Check it out.

How many people will cite him as a direct inspiration or influence?
Page 1 of 3