Very good at school, needed a new challeng
38 39%
I suck at school
15 15%
I'm in the middle
44 45%
Voters: 97.
Page 1 of 2
Me and my guitar teacher were talking about all kinds of guitar stuff when we came to the topic of school vs. guitar.
He said that most musicians are either epic failures at school or so good, that they need another challenge in their life.

I started playing guitar about 5/6 months ago and since then I went from a A/B student to a pure F student.

Which one of the extremes are you?

EDIT: whoops, misspelled challenge
I'm pretty much an average student, I have around a 3.2 GPA but I'm smart enough to be doing much better. Anyway, how good you are at school and playing guitar have no connection.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
EDIT: whoops, misspelled challenge

My grades dropped slightly, but that's because I'm a lazy bastard.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
i dont go to school...and guitar playing never affected my grades
Sig space available, give me some praise
i got 3.2 aswell
MCR FAN 405

originally posted by diveright
for one does not simply walk in to a spinning propeller

Originally posted by BLToast
Buckethead is the meaning of awesome
Im not doing too bad at school. Mostly B's and C's.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I go to a special school which is filled with advanced students. Most of them play guitar as well... Go figure. Most of them aren't very good players, but so what? They're pretty much the smartest people in the state. We've won the Academic Decathalon I think it's five years straight now? I'm not sure but I know we're pretty damn smart. I guess you are right, you either are good with schooling or you're not.
Quote by ugsusheyftef
same here man.
except in Australia we get E's instead of F's.

E for Epic??
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I started playing guitar about 5/6 months ago and since then I went from a A/B student to a pure F student.

I've always been very clever and i don't understand how peoples grades can drop just from playing guitar. Dropping from an A/B student to an F student? Did you suddenly become retarded? Even if you don't try, if you are capable of getting A's then I highly doubt you became a fucking dumbass just from picking up guitar.
Eh... Im probably in the upper quarter of my class, but I dont really try too hard. Im taking 4 HLs (higher levels, my school has IB).
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
i have a 3.2 in an IB curriculum... so id say im smarter than most average highschool students
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I'm getting good grades in everything apart from Maths. I do the IB so it's all marked out of 7. Currently I'm getting a 6/7 in Chemistry, Physics, German, Philosophy and English. Maths I'm getting a 3 to 4, unfortunately I need a 5 to get into the unis I want.

I don't know if guitar has affected it as I've been playing guitar ever since I got grades in schoolwork (8 years, though I don't play as often as I should so I'm not great.)
Depends on the school. I used to coast by with D's. I'd get A's on tests and exams, but I'd have to spend 5 hours a night on homework if I wanted to do it all.

Then I moved and went to a new school. I was in all honor classes, but the school is one of the worst in the state. Most of my time in school consisted of sitting there and doing nothing because the teacher would just hand out A's to everyone and tell us we don't need to do anything. So my grades went back up to A's.
I do okay at school, but I'm in the 'academic academy' who are expected to get like straight excellences. (we don't go in letters, ncea is a **** system, damn nz govt)

So I end up getting harassed by the head of the academic academy because I never do any homework or study, so I end up getting like Merits, or not achieved if I don't do it.

But yeah, I'm still in the top 30 of about 500 students. Don't know whether that counts as good or not.
Quote by MaXiMuse
@ wizards? :
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

Fight Club! Awesome movie

If you only knew how many times I get that daily... You'd have 1

Thanks bro, my favorite movie as well.
Quote by doggy_hat
Depends on the school. I used to coast by with D's. I'd get A's on tests and exams, but I'd have to spend 5 hours a night on homework if I wanted to do it all.

Then I moved and went to a new school. I was in all honor classes, but the school is one of the worst in the state. Most of my time in school consisted of sitting there and doing nothing because the teacher would just hand out A's to everyone and tell us we don't need to do anything. So my grades went back up to A's.

Sounds like my maths class. I'm advanced in one subject which screwed up my time table, so I ended up having to go in a lower one.

We'll get given work and I'll have it done in about 3 minutes meaning 47 minutes just sitting there. And the midyear exam, after absolutely no study, and paying little attention in class, there ended up being about 2 questions I had trouble with. And it turned out one of the questions wasn't written correctly.
personally whenever i start doing something other than go to school do homework sleep my grades drop a letter, because my minds not there as much
MCR FAN 405

originally posted by diveright
for one does not simply walk in to a spinning propeller

Originally posted by BLToast
Buckethead is the meaning of awesome
Quote by MaXiMuse
@ wizards? :
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

Fight Club! Awesome movie

FIGHT CLUB FTW!

but on topic, I think its just that guitar takes up the time that one would otherwise spend on school, ergo: lower grades
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
FIGHT CLUB FTW!

but on topic, I think its just that guitar takes up the time that one would otherwise spend on school, ergo: lower grades

+1 to both of those things.

If I didn't play guitar/piano/do music in any way at all then I would probably be getting straight excellences. That is about the only thing that allows me to procrastinate like I do.

That and UG, which is music related. Fortunately I do manage to get straight E's in music.
middle, i would be better if i wasnt so unmotivated about it. i havent even started summer reading yet...
He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages
Great at school, even though I put not a lot of effort into it, AND great at guitar!
Quote by wizards?
Goddamnit everybody shut up about my sig!!!

woah. i didnt even notice your sig,
i just saw someone said something abt Fight Club and i was all "woooooooooooo Fight Club!!!!" and yea....

true story
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

my grades dropped since i started playing, and i also lost most social contact, but its normalized since i got tendonitis lol ive seen the light of day again.

but i get 90% and above grades in music class so that helps my average
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I don't remember school.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I was a straight A student (86 average) in elementary.

Started guitar, but didn't suffer much, as I was a b+ (79 average) in high school.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
I was a straight A student (86 average) in elementary.

Started guitar, but didn't suffer much, as I was a b+ (79 average) in high school.

Wow, my school 79 is a C and 86 is a B, you're lucky.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Got mostly Bs in my GCSEs, in 2007. Majorly screwed up my first college year, but that was due to illness, and not guitar playing. My guitar playing has never really affected my education.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by alexlemon2
I've always been very clever and i don't understand how peoples grades can drop just from playing guitar. Dropping from an A/B student to an F student? Did you suddenly become retarded? Even if you don't try, if you are capable of getting A's then I highly doubt you became a fucking dumbass just from picking up guitar.

Yeah, what works for you doesn't work the other 6 1/2 billion people in the world

I dunno, I just kinda felt like I had done enough the last couple years and I wasn't getting anything out of it so I just let it completly hang.
I suck at school big time... I really don't care though, as long as I have my guitar
Page 1 of 2