- I almost don't want to continue taking guitar lessons because its more impressive to teach yourself, and it's almost more genuine, like it means more to you and you're more (i don't know the word, i guess acquainted) with it. But I taught myself everything I know...when I go to guitar lessons, all we do is jam and he shows me stuff he made up (my guitar teacher). Does anybody else feel this way?

Sorry if I'm not clear.
Check out my music, if you please.
Maybe you should just get a new teacher if he isn't actually teaching you anything.

People who are like 'I'm so good because I taught myself' usually have a lot of bad habits when it comes to playing. If you can afford lessons, get them.

I hate it when people try and show off or prove they're better by saying their self-taught.
More impessive?
Who cares, as long as you can play, but I guarantee you'll get better faster with a good teacher. If you don't feel the lessons are working out, ask him to teach you something you want to know or find a new teacher.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I've never taken Guitar Lessons but I did for drums for a while. I miss having lessons. A teacher shouldn't have an influence on your style or force you to learn what you don't. The purpose is to be a guide to help you learn as efficiently as possible, and correct any mistakes you make and help challenge you. A teacher shouldn't make you feel so constricted that you want to be self taught.
I hate lessons. There worthless to me, i much prefer the when you learn like a song on your own, the feeling of like, that like you now own that track, instead of someone deconstructing the song for you...
the best way to learn guitar...learn to read tab and eventually you'll learn to use your ears

and in my opinion theory lessons>guitar lessons
Sig space available, give me some praise
get a real teacher at a conservatory, or a rock one who originally went to a conservatory, guitar and bass seem to be the only instruments where a teacher can be any tool and try to teach anything at all.

but you will get much better learning from a teacher, and if you are trying to "impress" people, skateboard or something, put the guitar down
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I am self-taught but thats only because I can't afford lessons. I know I have habits, but these are not neccessarily 'bad' - they are just different. However, I'm sure some are bad habits. If I could have lessons, I would snap them up.

And just to clarify, learning a song isn't what lessons should be about, it's the techniques you learn...
Quote by mosh_face
but you will get much better learning from a teacher

No - you wont.

Depends on the person, i flourished without one, i had no restraints and i was free to do whatever the hell i wanted, which i prefered.

I began to lose interest with a teacher, demanding i learn scales when i couldnt care less about them.
If you mostly jam with your teacher then take another! A teacher should learn you techniques, and you also have to learn things by yourself. But if you want to teach yourself because then you think your better because you learnt it yourself. Then you suck. I hate people like that. If you learn it yourself then that`s impressive. But you shoudln`t feel like you own the world because of that.
my guitar lessons have always been really relaxed and im not interested in doing grades or exams. we just pick out a piece and i learn it, and my teacher will explain some of the theory of it but quite honestly the best things ive got from lessons are: proper playing positions, exposure to bands/guitarists i didnt know and advice on equipment and sounds etc.

in september we are (hopefully) going to play Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zep at a music festival in Frankfurt; him on bass and me playing guitar. i just view lessons as a bit of fun and learning new pieces.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
the way my teacher has been lately has been pissing me off. i've felt like getting a new one,but this one is cool. he hasn't been teaching me anything new because he says that i haven't shown him that i'm capable of advancing. i play all the jazz standards he's taught me yet he does nothing and just talks about how sweet his set up is and how i know nothing of guitars.
Quote by Anthony1991
No - you wont.

Depends on the person, i flourished without one, i had no restraints and i was free to do whatever the hell i wanted, which i prefered.

I began to lose interest with a teacher, demanding i learn scales when i couldnt care less about them.

You should know scales even if you're self taught.
I've never took guitar exams, I think they're pointless. I set my own standards and my guitar teacher helps me reach them. It sounds to me like your current teacher is a bit of a tool... get a new one because I personally think Lessons > No lessons.
Lessons are a priority I believe, unless you're a natural at your instrument. I really believe that one can only get to a certain point in their playing before they can no longer get any better because they don't know what to do next. This is where a teacher comes in handy.

On the topic of teachers, the ones that sit down and say "What song do you want to learn to play?" are useless. That's what sites like this one is for. A teacher should teach you to play guitar not how to play something on it.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by mosh_face
get a real teacher at a conservatory, or a rock one who originally went to a conservatory, guitar and bass seem to be the only instruments where a teacher can be any tool and try to teach anything at all.

but you will get much better learning from a teacher, and if you are trying to "impress" people, skateboard or something, put the guitar down

I agree with this, guitar took away my social life (in a good way) so it isn't really impressing anyone.
never had a teacher...but thats because I'm a poor sod in the middle of nowhere
Quote by Steve The Plank
A lot of people complain that they don't like having teachers because the teachers teach them scales.
But scales are, in my opinion, pretty damn important and beneficial - Let your teacher show you what you can do with scales, seriously.

They are important, but at the same time, it's good to find out what notes sound good together as opposed to what notes you're told sound good together.

I learn lots of scales because I love adding different sounds to my soloing, but I know people who seem to think that everything that isn't using a specific scale or key= fail. You have to find a good balance IMO.

Here's the bottom line for me. If you're serious about guitar playing, get a teacher. I was self-taught for 6 months... I got myself a teacher and I was a far better player within a month. I've been having lessons for 2 and a half years and I still go to them.
Self taught is fine for some people, but having lessons isn't going to do any harm.
My teachers kl. Even though he only teaches me blues licks. (I like metal).
I am a musician. Therefore, I am hairy.

My gear:
Squire Strat (n00b guitar)
Hughes and Kettner ATS amp
Boss GT-3
Avia Pro II Bass

Quote by Poop
I hate U!!! U'r a sad pokemon beeatch!!
Quote by Tom_hatton
I learn lots of scales because I love adding different sounds to my soloing, but I know people who seem to think that everything that isn't using a specific scale or key= fail. You have to find a good balance IMO.

Whoo!!! Accidentals!
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by Nick616
My teachers kl. Even though he only teaches me blues licks. (I like metal).

You should ask him to help develop your playing more e.g more techniques, styles etc.

Otherwise he's useless, and you might as well look for blues tabs on UG.
Well i wouldn't quit, because if you do something bad or start building a bad technique, your teacher is always there to tell you.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Anthony1991
No - you wont.

Then most likely your theory/tune writing and solos are going to be less good than someone who did bother to learn them.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
No, guitar teachers aren't limited by your limitations. So, if you can't learn something out of a book, than the guitar teacher can because he's not limited by you're limits?

You see what I'm saying?

Because I sure as hell don't...
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society