Page 1 of 2
hey, i want to see what you fellow musicians say about my opinion. i believe you shouldnt rag on anyone for liking or disliking a certain music, or there reasons for playing music. personally i believe that whether poser or composer, thats your business. if you want to play music for money or just to play music, then its okay because music is supposed to be used for personal satisfaction, whether if its glory from other ppl, or glory from your self. what do you ppl think?
technically, yes. you're correct.
in the real world, people are incredibly judgmental and biased, so that'll never happen. but it is a good philosophy for you, yourself to follow.
Quote by phoenix_88
in the real world, people are incredibly judgmental and biased, so that'll never happen. but it is a good philosophy for you, yourself to follow.

^this
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

...yeeup
I really think all those elitists are just overcompensating for small penises.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
But if they are just playing music for money, their music will have no passion.

I only think people should play music because that's what they love to do, or how they express themselves.

However, people should just live with other peoples music taste. I think most people do it because they think it makes them look cool.

Hating hip hop isn't cool or original, and we don't all need to hear about it. I hate alot of things, but I don't feel the need to tell you.
people like **** on me because of my interest in music. every time a girl asks me what i'm into and what i do and i discuss guitar playing, jazz, and metal they always like lose interest. wtf do they want me to say?!
Popstars:
If you don`t make your own lyrics and music. But act like you did, for instance with fully emotion in a video clip. Then you`re a bad musician (My opinion)
Rock:
Don`t make your own music and lyrics, but play them really good live. Good musician.

Make your own music and lyrics and play it for the money Good musician

Make your own music and lyrics, and play it amazing live because for the crowd and the kick (And a bit for the money Then you`re the best musician.

All my opinions!
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
people like **** on me because of my interest in music. every time a girl asks me what i'm into and what i do and i discuss guitar playing, jazz, and metal they always like lose interest. wtf do they want me to say?!

High School Musical.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Find cooler girls.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
Quote by MetalMusicianAl

dude, i hear that. every girl ive liked who asked me what i do, or like, they get all bored when i try to tell them about randy rhoads, eddie van halen, or even jeff beck for gods sake, they get all bored and angry.
I've done this thread before. Nothing happens.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by 5150rando
dude, i hear that. every girl ive liked who asked me what i do, or like, they get all bored when i try to tell them about randy rhoads, eddie van halen, or even jeff beck for gods sake, they get all bored and angry.

Lol, I do this to a girl I like. Not a good idea, she always loses interest. Fortunately, she doesn't actually hate that stuff. I played her Between The Buried And Me once and she ended up laughing at it.

A good sign considering most girls I know end up hating it.

So I have hope yet. I just need to learn some more interesting stories about musicians. And come up with algebraic evidence that they are infact awesome. That'll teach her.
i don't think anyone would like to listen to someone sounding like a nerd unless they are actually very interested in it lol. especially someone you don't know.
To answer the original question, I don't mind anyone playing any music for whatever reason, although it does tick me off when you see a 12 year old kid with a Gibson Les Paul that their dad bought (dunno if that is what you meant) and also people who try and copy another musician to the extreme. An example of this would be having all the signature guitars, and amps- to create the exact tone.

and to the debate below- don't go into too much depth. If you go into too much detail about anything you will bore most people.
Quote by Regression

However, people should just live with other peoples music taste. I think most people do it because they think it makes them look cool.

Hating hip hop isn't cool or original, and we don't all need to hear about it. I hate alot of things, but I don't feel the need to tell you.

+

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by phoenix_88

+1

you can't change people, but you can set an example by following your own principles.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by umbrellacorp
I've done this thread before.

Hundreds of people have. None of these threads ever contain an original thought.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
People insult others people's music because they don't like it, so they think your wrong. A friend of mine refuses to listen to one of my favorite bands because it doesn't fit with his "metal head" image.
Quote by Regression
But if they are just playing music for money, their music will have no passion.

I only think people should play music because that's what they love to do, or how they express themselves.

^I completely disagree with this part of your post.

What the hell is wrong with playing music for money? Even if it is not music you love but is music that will sell what is wrong with that?

Answer this for me,

Would you rather play music just for the money for eight hours a day and play music you love in your spare time (hoping eventually to make money off that), or would you rather work in a bank for eight hours a day just for the money while playing music you love in your spare time (again hoping eventually to make money off that)?

For me there's no contest. I don't think anyone that loves playing music would have a hard time making that choice . Besides if you were getting paid to play music, wouldn't you love it by default?
Si
Quote by MaXiMuse
Popstars:
If you don`t make your own lyrics and music. But act like you did, for instance with fully emotion in a video clip. Then you`re a bad musician (My opinion)
Rock:
Don`t make your own music and lyrics, but play them really good live. Good musician.

You're the kind of musician I don't like.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by lumpy890
People insult others people's music because they don't like it, so they think your wrong. A friend of mine refuses to listen to one of my favorite bands because it doesn't fit with his "metal head" image.
^He's a "fundamentalist metal head" then. Some people are always knocking other people's personal world views. It's a flaw in human nature that not quite everybody possesses. By knocking the view of others you are declaring your views as "right and true" even when there is no "right and true."
Quote by Archeo Avis
None of these threads ever contain an original thought.
^So start one with an original thought - I dare you.
Si
Give this back to them:
You see, [HER NAME], you're popular because you developed early and started giving handjobs when you were twelve and now you can't stand to look at yourself in the mirror because all you see is a *****. So you pick on [ME] to avoid the inevitable realization that once your body is used up by age 19 you're going to be a worn out, chalky skinned burlap sack that even your step dad won't want. How's that? Am I in the ballpark?

But seriously, it's not worth it to even let these people get under your skin. They're not even worth talking to, so don't. Listen to what you want, play what you want, act how you want (as long as you're not a complete douche), and fuck the rest.
known as Jeff when it really matters
Quote by MetalMusicianAl

It's all about confidence. If you act like you would *like* the girl to be interested in what you are into, but don't *need* her to be, then the results can be quite different.
I don't know. If you expose them to the right jazz, they'll love it. I was into jazz awhile ago and the smoothest of it defiantly helped me get a few girls. If your into metal learn "Hope leaves" by Opeth, if that doesn't get the ladies then you have no hope.
Last edited by lumpy890 at Aug 4, 2008,
Some musicians get touchy when people come into their "sacred" art for any reason other than purely for the sake of music. I believe this to be extremely self-righteous behavior.

Guys, you can't engage anyone in a conversation about anything they don't like or know anything about.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Hundreds of people have. None of these threads ever contain an original thought.
Too right. These threads only get interesting when someone starts trolling. I would troll, but I'm trying to keep my MT trolling at a minimum.

And too the guys talking about girls. Most girls (actually most people that is) like contemporary music, which is what makes it contemporary. The whole "chicks love musicians" thing is actually not true. They might love the bad boy rock star, but its more about the "bad boy" than the "rock star." To the psychology nerds, is it that girls that like bad boys had a bad relationship with their father or something?
The only girls that like real musicians are musicians themselves, truth be told, I think every musician is slightly more interested in other musicians.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Too right. These threads only get interesting when someone starts trolling. I would troll, but I'm trying to keep my MT trolling at a minimum.

And too the guys talking about girls. Most girls (actually most people that is) like contemporary music, which is what makes it contemporary. The whole "chicks love musicians" thing is actually not true. They might love the bad boy rock star, but its more about the "bad boy" than the "rock star." To the psychology nerds, is it that girls that like bad boys had a bad relationship with their father or something?
The only girls that like real musicians are musicians themselves, truth be told, I think every musician is slightly more interested in other musicians.

^So true. But what's Trolling??

Girls don't give two ****s about what you do or are interested in. They only care about what they are interested in and that is it. What they want from a guy is one that will make them laugh, is fun to be with, and will listen to them talk about themselves.

If you can make them laugh and are fun they will be into you. You can score a girls phone number without ever telling her your name. If you really want to learn to talk to chicks and score any girl you want there are ways and means but you won't pick up any of that in MT threads. I do have some tricks that have worked for me in the past just send a PM - happy to share.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
^So true. But what's Trolling??

Girls don't give two ****s about what you do or are interested in. They only care about what they are interested in and that is it. What they want from a guy is one that will make them laugh, is fun to be with, and will listen to them talk about themselves.

If you can make them laugh and are fun they will be into you. You can score a girls phone number without ever telling her your name. If you really want to learn to talk to chicks and score any girl you want there are ways and means but you won't pick up any of that in MT threads. I do have some tricks that have worked for me in the past just send a PM - happy to share.
Trolling is where you post in a controversial manner to deliberatly cause trouble and arguments. It's great fun on the internet, because theres no chance of someone turning around and beating you up. But I sort of want to cut down on my trolling, it makes me look like a bastard.

And yeah, I wouldnt mind your tips (not that I'm having any trouble ). Hopefully you can post it before resi or blues or psych or john locks this thread.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Happy to share but this isn't the right place for sharing pick up ideas. I couldn't do the PM thing since it was too long and I couldn't attach a file to the PM. So check my blogs. It will only be there for a couple weeks.
Si
TS, you're the same guy that started the "why do people like Slash" thread and proceeded to insult Slash, saying that you couldn't understand why people think he is good. So you're really the type of person that this thread is addressed to, which is odd seeing as you created this thread to ask them why they act that way.

In short, I'm a little confused.
Quote by :-D

That's what she said. Okay, I just had to get that out.

But really, I totally agree with you. This guy disses on other musicians, and makes a thread about why others do the same. Hypocritical, no?
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Aug 5, 2008,
There should be some sort of hypocrite filter on UG, stuff like this always shows up.
Those with closed minds bring on themselves nothing but limits.
Quote by Iron_Dude
Quote by :-D
That's what she said. Okay, I just had to get that out.
she said "In short," enjoy being "short," you "short" confusing "short" guy.

So seeing as this thread has absolutly no purpose in MT anymore, might as well make the most of a spam thread untill our mods close it. Anyone else got any pickup tips?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl

They want you to say: "Well I can play and sing Hey There Delilah"

I feel your pain
^What is up with people being impressed by the easy songs and unimpressed by the hard songs? I remember playing classical gas as a 13 year old, no one cared. And than some loser plays 3 chords and wow, he's amazing.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
It's because you don't grade music on it's technical difficulty if you're not a musician, you grade it on how much it appeals to you and people are going to prefer Hotel California to Classical Gas.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
^What is up with people being impressed by the easy songs and unimpressed by the hard songs? I remember playing classical gas as a 13 year old, no one cared. And than some loser plays 3 chords and wow, he's amazing.

Maybe he played the 3 chord song better than you played the "impressive" song?
shred is gaudy music
Page 1 of 2