I want to change my string gauge from 9s to 10s on my stratocaster, but last time i did this it didnt do my bridge much good. What prior adjustments should i make before i string up the bigger gauge on my axe?

Thanks
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
bring it to a shop for them to do it
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
tighten the 2 screws on the trem claw a little.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
priod adjustments? screw the plate that the springs connect to a bit further in...hoping that the strings won't pull the bridge too far up

then when you actually put the strings on you more or less have to go through a full setup (might not have to touch the trussrod but mainly you'll have to adjust everything on the bridge)
get yourself an 1/8 inch drill bit, put your new string on, tune it up to whatever your tuning is, and then see if the drill bit fits, if not detune it a little and tighten the two claw screws at the back, and then retune, keep doing this until the drill bit fits nicely in the gap between the bridge and the body
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
Quote by Dr.Jazz
get yourself an 1/8 inch drill bit, put your new string on, tune it up to whatever your tuning is, and then see if the drill bit fits, if not detune it a little and tighten the two claw screws at the back, and then retune, keep doing this until the drill bit fits nicely in the gap between the bridge and the body

did you ever consider that he (like most other people) dont want a floating vintage tremolo
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
just tighhten the bolts that go into the body in the back where the springs are,

(so i dont start a new thread) should i do the opposite if i change to lighter gauge strings?
Lighter than 9s? Why? But, yeah, basically. You'll want to adjust the intonation too, most likely, know how to do that?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by ash_attack
did you ever consider that he (like most other people) dont want a floating vintage tremolo

Did You ever consider that he might, Did You Ever Consider that i ma trying to help the guy, Did You Ever Consider that the gap between the bridge nad the body is a Fender Standard of 1/8 of an inch, Did you Ever consider that i worked in a music shop for a few months doing this just about every day, Did you ever consider You're an arse........No...........Didn't think so
Gear

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Quote by Dr.Jazz
Did You ever consider that he might, Did You Ever Consider that i ma trying to help the guy, Did You Ever Consider that the gap between the bridge nad the body is a Fender Standard of 1/8 of an inch, Did you Ever consider that i worked in a music shop for a few months doing this just about every day, Did you ever consider You're an arse........No...........Didn't think so

Try breathing into a brown paper bag before you post, man. Not to say you're in the wrong, but I've heard tired six year olds make more coherent comebacks.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Try breathing into a brown paper bag before you post, man. Not to say you're in the wrong, but I've heard tired six year olds make more coherent comebacks.

Yeah i know lol, am hung over and tired lol, it was the first thing i could think of hahaha
Gear

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

i went from 10's to 9's, i kno how to adjust the bridge and intonation, i juss dont kno if i need to or not

edit..

i already adjusted intonation
Quote by Dr.Jazz

Will this create unecessary strain and tension on the neck and strings?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Not both. And not if you do it properly.