I think we should have a Music/Song analysis where we analyse its structure, the scales used etc.

What do you people think?
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Like the SotM? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520713&highlight=SotM

I think this is a great idea to revive. It's been talked about in the Suggestion/Improvements sticky.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Analysing what? Melodic analysis? Chord progression? Voice leading? And theres about a million other things to analysis, each with a special way to analyse them. Musical analysis is a pretty broad topic and just about every music teacher would teach you a different way.
Quote by gflip69
the scales used etc.
90% (anyone got a real statistic that isnt pulled out of their ass? because thats just a guess) of contemporary music is written in the major scale. Even those "sad" sounding contemporary songs are probably in major scales. You might see a couple modal or minor based songs in jazz and classical, but still not many.

Quote by Sean
Like the SotM? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...&highlight=SotM

I think this is a great idea to revive. It's been talked about in the Suggestion/Improvements sticky.
I was going to write one, but I got lazy. Maybe I should write up a quick one tonight? I was thinking about angel eyes as a standard. I goddamn love that song. Any ideas?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Yeah, I was thinking of something like song of the month but do it with much more frequency. We could do it every week or every other week. It is useful for all levels of players, they will learn more about theory and could apply it in their own music. just my $ 0.02.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Quote by gflip69
Yeah, I was thinking of something like song of the month but do it with much more frequency. We could do it every week or every other week. It is useful for all levels of players, they will learn more about theory and could apply it in their own music. just my $ 0.02.
Yeah but than we got to decide on what kind of analysis (a classical player will analyse a peice of music very differently to a jazz player) and than find people to do it and than find (and agree to) a list of songs to do.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Sounds interesting TS. Demonofthenight, sounds like you're feeling a little glass is half empty at the moment.

Kick it off TS. Pull out a good song that you like and think others might be interested in analysing and let us know how you would break it down. Other's that might be interested in that song could pull it apart and give their own take on what's going on or just read and learn.
Si
^To Demon..: If we could find a middle ground and keep it simple enough that beginners will understand what is being said but not so simple that intermediate players or advanced will get bored. As for songs, we could start of with popular songs.

To 20..:
I would like to start but my knowldge of music theory is not that top notch so if a collaboration is made then it would be better.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Last edited by gflip69 at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by gflip69
^To Demon..: If we could find a middle ground and keep it simple enough that beginners will understand what is being said but not so simple that intermediate players or advanced will get bored. As for songs, we could start of with popular songs.
The thing is, thats the problem. The original SotM were so complicated only a few regulars could get them.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
i think its a great idea. I feel that for each song you should have a beginner's explanation with licks and stuff, then go on and explain in further depth kind of like the SotM thread. that way everyone gets what they want and it will also provide clear examples of how more advanced music theory can be applied and thus hopefully push some of those that aren't as theory proficient to understand things in greater depth.
Quote by sisuphi
i think its a great idea. I feel that for each song you should have a beginner's explanation with licks and stuff, then go on and explain in further depth kind of like the SotM thread. that way everyone gets what they want and it will also provide clear examples of how more advanced music theory can be applied and thus hopefully push some of those that aren't as theory proficient to understand things in greater depth.
So lets say I was to do a song analysis. What would I put into it? Licks taken from the melody? Chord progression movement? what I would do for improv?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I thought of this before but never mentioned it. I think its a good idea. We could figure out they key of the song and what chords are being used and why the licks/solo works and such. Would be helpfull homework for us.
Quote by sisuphi

Like he and /-\liceNChains said, and in the beginner's section we tell them the key progression, the scales and notes used in the solo (for example: Key A, a ii-V-I progression, )
The notes of the solo broken down to the chords such as "in the first measure, he (artist's name) starts the solo with the 3rd of the key of A or whatever will be for the more advanced.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Last edited by gflip69 at Aug 4, 2008,
And i tihnk it should be songs from different genres (if we do more than one song) and possibly differing difficulties. Maybe some jazz, metal, funk, classic rock...w/e, so more people wuold get involved.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
A beginner's section is a good idea so that people who are still learning basic theory could still participate. As for how you would analysis the song chord progressions and key analysis are a must. Also which scales that would best suit the song if someone wanted to improvise.

And if worst comes to worst someone could always steal the sections from the SotM.

Whoever decides to do this good luck, I would try to help but im not very confident on my knowledge of music theory.
Quote by demonofthenight
90% (anyone got a real statistic that isnt pulled out of their ass? because thats just a guess) of contemporary music is written in the major scale. Even those "sad" sounding contemporary songs are probably in major scales. You might see a couple modal or minor based songs in jazz and classical, but still not many.

And yet I still can barely write Major songs. Minors, Hungarian Gypsy, Harmonic Minors, Phrygian Dominants, all that stuff, but majors are my problem. To be honest, I'd rather have my problem than be able to write only major material.
Well, should we start one then?

How about for the personnel?

If we can find a team ( 2 teams and above would be nice) to alternate in doing analysis then I will send this to the suggestion board.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
yea basically what gflip said about the method of analysis. and when adding in little licks and melodies we could explain them using advanced theory. in that way the lick is still present for those that don't understand theory as thoroughly and the explanation is there for those who want to take it a bit further.

i personally think that an Improv section would basically be advanced only unless you just strung together licks that were already shown. Then again, you could just break it down like this:

beginner improv: the song is in the key of C major. fool around with the notes from C major and see if you can come up with any little licks/melodies that you like.

intermediate improv: the chord progression is C Dm F G7. Try targeting the notes of the chords when coming up with licks.

advanced improv: the chord progression is C Dm F G7. Over the C you could use C Lydian, C Mixolydian, C Ionian, etc. Over Dm you could use D Aeolian, D Dorian, D Phrygian, etc. Over F you could use F lydian, F Ionian, F Mixolydian, etc. Over G7 you could use G Mixo, G Phrygian dominant, G Maj pent. etc.

something like that was what i was thinking for improv. and in the advanced section you could have more in depth explanations of why certain scales work over certain chords and also chromatic ideas. (i'm not sure what else you could put in as i'm not super advanced!)

just my thoughts
Keep it coming guys. Great so far.
Quote by Fedayee
And yet I still can barely write Major songs. Minors, Hungarian Gypsy, Harmonic Minors, Phrygian Dominants, all that stuff, but majors are my problem. To be honest, I'd rather have my problem than be able to write only major material.
Out of curiosity, what chord progressions would you use when writing in hungarian gypsy, phrygian dominant and harmonic minor?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.