No matter how accuratley I tune the g string on my Ltd SC500, when im playing a barre chord(esp if the strings open) it sounds out of tune. Is it anything to do with XJ frets or could it be a prob with the nut?It was recently set up by a local guitar shop so it shouldn't be a prob with action/intonation etc. Its driving me mad so any help would be great!
Last edited by TenSteel at Aug 3, 2008,
its because you touch yourself at night..
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez SZ, RG w/ Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro
Marshall JCM2000 head 1960 Cab
and many pedals...

www.adamcutrone.com
^i make art
do you have the right gauge G string?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Exactely this happened to me last year with my Dimavery (f-ing cheap guitar, you could throw it in your fireplace). The problem was the tuner. The gear inside the tuner broke, and so the tension is nt strong enough. Check the tuner, it might help!
Take it back to the shop and tell them about the problem.

Quote by RichieKotzen
People make mistaked you know.

Yep.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by TenSteel
No matter how accuratley I tune the g string on my Ltd SC500, when im playing a barre chord(esp if the strings open) it sounds out of tune. Is it anything to do with XJ frets or could it be a prob with the nut?It was recently set up by a local guitar shop so it shouldn't be a prob with action/intonation etc. Its driving me mad so any help would be great!

It really does sound like bad intonation, though! I mean, that's a classic symptom of bad intonation. I'm not even joking. Maybe the guys at your local guitar shop are a bunch of cowboys? I know the guys at my local shop basically just wipe it down if you pay them to do a setup. They don't even touch the truss rod, or do intonation with the saddles. Just because you payed for a full setup, doesn't mean they actually did a full setup. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to learn how to do intonation yourself, and then check if your guitar is properly intonated- or give it to a friend who knows how.

If it's not- you've been had. If it is, then I really don't know.
Quote by xxadamnxx
its because you touch yourself at night..

Back to The pit with you! *hits*

Now, it's probably inotation. It's pretty easy to sort out by yourself, there is many a tutorials out there in the internet/UG.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by majonior
or maybe he just doesn't know how to tune a guitar

Wait.. this isn't the Pit.. >__>
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16