Page 1 of 2
i am looking to buy either a Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul...

as far as cost goes, i am not too concerned. I can only afford and Epiphone right now but i dont really have a problem saving up to get a Gibson.

as far as i know there is not too much of a difference. Gibson i know has better quality and all but i have heard the Epiphone sounds the same.

the only REAL difference that everyone seems to agree with is that Gibson will pay off in the long run

but i have heard alot of ppl say that Epiphone is just as good

others have said Gibson all the way

i just want to know what everybody thinks
get gibson, better tone on it, better parts, and its a gibson.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
It really comes down to how it feels in your hands.

The sound difference really is negligible at a certain point, but the feel is not. Whether or not "feel" is worth a couple grand is completely up to you.

To me it is, so I'm saving up for a Gibson, but I'm having issues because I don't like the way chambered LP's feel. I might just end up with a MIJ copy if they are as good as people say they are and aren't overhyped and a complete letdown like other guitars I've played *cough*PRS*cough*.

If your just after sound, get an Epiphone.
Last edited by T!AN at Aug 3, 2008,
Only the Epiphone Elitist line can be compared to Gibson. The craftmanship of Gibson is way more superior than regular Epiphone.
The 'sound' can be fixed by a pickup change but the 'feel' is not.

But in the end it's all about what feels best in your hands. The Gibson is nice and all but it's not for everyone.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by T!AN
ItTo me it is, so I'm saving up for a Gibson, but I'm having issues because I don't like the way chambered LP's feel. I might just end up with a MIJ copy if they are as good as people say they are and aren't overhyped and a complete letdown like other guitars I've played *cough*PRS*cough*.

they aren't over-hyped (in my opinion, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tygur91
Opening post.

As someone who owns both a worthless £300 Epiphone Les Paul Standard (2003, Korea), and a £2,000 Gibson Les Paul Standard (2005, USA), I can give you what I think is unbiased advice. My advice is thus:

Just get the Epiphone.

If you get a good Epiphone, you'll be rocking. My Epiphone is nearly as good as my Gibson (and I mean it's so close it's a photo-finish), and better than a lot of Gibsons I've played. Now, don't just get any Epiphone. I've played a ton of crap ones, and *apparently* the quality in the Epiphone line went downhill after they moved the production to China in 2004. Going by the more recent Epiphones I've played, I'd say that there is certainly some degree of truth to this. But to what degree, I don't know. My "piece of crap" 2003 Korean Epiphone is certainly a very high-quality instrument, and embarrasses Gibsons. It's not like I have a crap Gibson either, mine is top of the range. Here are my two, below:

The Gibson is definitely much more beautiful. But that's pretty negligible, and I think paying ten times more for looks alone is not worth it. The Gibson has a slightly nicer feel, better frets. Little things like that. It's a way, way smaller difference than you think. If we're talking about a nice Epiphone, that is. Comparing it to one of the recent dogs from China- yeah there'll be a huge difference. I'd certainly recommend buying an older Epiphone from Korea, pre-owned.

Last edited by Martin Scott at Aug 3, 2008,
Quote by Martin Scott
I'd certainly recommend buying an older Epiphone from Korea, pre-owned.

Very much this.

There are two kinds of good Epiphones, and both are 'smarter choices' than shelling out for a Gibson:

First option:
- Older Korean-made regular Epiphones. I've got a Korean-made Epiphone Joe Perry Signature Les Paul, valued at £800 even though it's pretty scratched up. The brand new shiny Chinese-made ones? They sell for £550.
For those that don't know, the Joe Perry Les Paul is a Standard, chambered like the Gibsons, and with USA-made Gibson BurstBucker pickups. There is also a Gibson Custom Shop version, which doesn't have any other features, but it is allegedly much better made, and costs more than five times as much. There is one of those Gibson Custom Shop versions sitting in a store near where I live - I took my []Korean Epiphone version along and played the two next to each other. The difference? The Epiphone has a less glossy and slightly slimmer neck, and the nut is made of plastic. That was the only difference in feel, and they sounded exactly the same through a 1976 Fender half stack - even had equal sustain. Of course the Gibson Custom Shop version looked much nicer - but it was slower to play (I like the thick neck, but the sticky finish on the Gibson was stupid), and sounded the same. So why pay 5x more?
Goes to show how good those Korean Epiphones were. Shame they moved everything to China.

Second option:
- Epiphone Elitist. All made in Japan, costs about £700-£800, depending on which finish you want. Things it has 'worse' than a Gibson of twice the price, is the Epiphone only has the one regular Epi neck profile (Gibson has two you can choose from), and the Elitist is made with a thick poly-based finish, which some people say is worse for tone (it doesn't let the wood 'breath', apparently...).
Things it has over a double-priced Gibson? It's a solid body (not chambered), it has a laser-cut bone nut (Gibson use older machines that can never be quite as precise), and that 'bad' thick poly finish means it is less sticky, it will take longer to fade, and it's less prone to dents and scratches (which in my view far outweighs the tone difference - which I've never noticed anyway!).

If you've got thousands sitting around going spare and you're a truly great guitarist making albums and looking to impress and you want the very most flawless best, then a Gibson Custom Shop model would be worth getting. But for everyone else, a Korean Epi or a Japanese Epi Elitist beats the loving crap out of a standard Gibson, and costs less than half the price...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
these are very helpful but how will i know im getting a korean made LP epiphone

i mean its not like the guitars all say "made in _____" on the description
Quote by tygur91

You could ask...
Get the high end-epiphones. Like Les Paul Custom or the eliteist guitars, saves you money and are just as good as a Gibson. Gibson costs that much just because of the name on the headstock and that it's made in America. I have actually played Epiphones that sounds BETTER than a Gibson Les Paul Standard
I hear Epiphone people say that they sound as good as Gibsons are full of crap. I have owned both and Gibsons have higher quality tone & volume pots in them and of course better pickups. The wood is better so the sound is better. Here is a test play both unplugged and listen how it sounds. The Gibson wins all the way. If Epiphones are so good then why don't more top musicians play them........
Honestly forget the names "Epiphone" and "Gibson"

Go to a store with your set budget to spend.

Sit down and play a variety of different guitars near or at your budget.

Go fo rthe one that feels the best for you and that you like the sound of for your style(s) of music.

Of course try and use it through the same or a similar amp to what you own.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
What country do you live in?

What amp do you have?

There are better guitars than Epiphones and Gibsons in either of their price ranges; don't limit yourself to just those two.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by tygur91

some do. not all, but you might get lucky. they normally say on the back of the headstock.

Quote by icyfire
You could ask...

don't do that, they could lie (or even just not know and make up something).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you need to ask you shouldn't be investing in a Gibson.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by tygur91

It's all about the serial number, printed on the back of the headstock. Find out the serial number, and then put it through Guitar Dater Project (CLICK), and you will find out when and where it was made. My Epiphone's serial number is:

"U03122001". Putting that serial number through the Guitar Dater Project gets this:

Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
December 2003
Production Number: 2001

As a quick guide:

Korea:

* I = Saein
* U = Unsung
* S = Samick
* P or R = Peerless
* K = Korea

China:

* DW = DeaWon
* EA = Gibson/QingDao
* EE = Gibson/QingDao
* MC = Muse
* SJ = SaeJung
* Z = Zaozhuang Saehan
* BW = China

Japan:

* No letter or F = FujiGen
* J or T = Terada

Czech Republic

* B = Bohêmia Musico-Delicia

Indonesia:

* SI = Samick

This guide is for the first letter of the serial number. If it's got any of the Korean ones- it's Korean. I can certainly recommend guitars made in Unsung, lol!

Quote by Dragoneyes
I hear Epiphone people say that they sound as good as Gibsons are full of crap. I have owned both and Gibsons have higher quality tone & volume pots in them and of course better pickups. The wood is better so the sound is better. Here is a test play both unplugged and listen how it sounds. The Gibson wins all the way. If Epiphones are so good then why don't more top musicians play them........

You're entitled to your opinion, but I say you're wrong. I own both, and have played many of each. My Epiphone always gets compliments off of initially-skeptical Gibson players when they play it. I've found most Chinese Epihones to be pieces of crap. If you're comparing a Chinese one to your Gibson- I completely understand. I think there are some nice Chinese ones to be had, but the ratio of nice ones to crap ones in the Chinese line is not good. As for "artist endorsements"- if Gibson came up to you and said "Hey, we'll give you infinite free Gibson guitars if you only play our guitars on stage" you're not going to say "No.".. are you? Artist endorsements, and magazine covers. That's how these big brands maintain control of the market. It's certainly not "quality" or "tone" lol.

I say this as a Gibson owner. It's super nice, and I'm glad I own one. I wouldn't buy another Gibson, though. I mean, when was the last time you saw anything other than a Gibson, Fender, PRS, or Ibanez on a magazine cover? Are you saying there's no better makes, purely because all famous guitarists endorse mostly only those brands? You're deranged if you think that. You ever played a nice Godin, Tokai, Suhr, Yamaha, or Framus? I mean, those are to name but a few. I don't hate Gibson at all. I love my one. One of the best guitars I've ever played. I know for a fact that some of the older Korean Epiphones are basically just as good, though.

Quote by Leper_Messiah_
Honestly forget the names "Epiphone" and "Gibson"

Go to a store with your set budget to spend.

Sit down and play a variety of different guitars near or at your budget.

Go fo rthe one that feels the best for you and that you like the sound of for your style(s) of music.

Of course try and use it through the same or a similar amp to what you own.

This is also great advice. The more you limit yourself to a brand, the less likely you are to find the right guitar for you. Play all kinds of guitars. I understand you think you want a Les Paul, but you may pick up a Fender Jaguar or an ES335 or something and go "Wow!". You never know. Forget about what guitar your idol uses. I think Les Pauls are way common and boring. Which is why, when it came time to buy my Gibson (the "real thing"), I didn't get one of the scummy sunburst Standards. I got me a one of a kind limited edition. So, while it's still an LP- it's kind of unique. Having a sunburst one is like having a black Strat lol.

But at the end of the day, you need to decide what's right for you. Go out and play a bunch of guitars. After which, if you still want a Les Paul... get one!
Ah, I always wondered why my Epiphone LP Standard is so nice when I hear so many horror stories. Got it back in 2001 before the switch from Korea to China.

Interesting to know.
Quote by Martin Scott
It's all about the serial number, printed on the back of the headstock. Find out the serial number, and then put it through Guitar Dater Project (CLICK), and you will find out when and where it was made. My Epiphone's serial number is:

"U03122001". Putting that serial number through the Guitar Dater Project gets this:

As a quick guide:

This guide is for the first letter of the serial number. If it's got any of the Korean ones- it's Korean. I can certainly recommend guitars made in Unsung, lol!

You're entitled to your opinion, but I say you're wrong. I own both, and have played many of each. My Epiphone always gets compliments off of initially-skeptical Gibson players when they play it. I've found most Chinese Epihones to be pieces of crap. If you're comparing a Chinese one to your Gibson- I completely understand. I think there are some nice Chinese ones to be had, but the ratio of nice ones to crap ones in the Chinese line is not good. As for "artist endorsements"- if Gibson came up to you and said "Hey, we'll give you infinite free Gibson guitars if you only play our guitars on stage" you're not going to say "No.".. are you? Artist endorsements, and magazine covers. That's how these big brands maintain control of the market. It's certainly not "quality" or "tone" lol.

I say this as a Gibson owner. It's super nice, and I'm glad I own one. I wouldn't buy another Gibson, though. I mean, when was the last time you saw anything other than a Gibson, Fender, PRS, or Ibanez on a magazine cover? Are you saying there's no better makes, purely because all famous guitarists endorse mostly only those brands? You're deranged if you think that. You ever played a nice Godin, Tokai, Suhr, Yamaha, or Framus? I mean, those are to name but a few. I don't hate Gibson at all. I love my one. One of the best guitars I've ever played. I know for a fact that some of the older Korean Epiphones are basically just as good, though.

This is also great advice. The more you limit yourself to a brand, the less likely you are to find the right guitar for you. Play all kinds of guitars. I understand you think you want a Les Paul, but you may pick up a Fender Jaguar or an ES335 or something and go "Wow!". You never know. Forget about what guitar your idol uses. I think Les Pauls are way common and boring. Which is why, when it came time to buy my Gibson (the "real thing"), I didn't get one of the scummy sunburst Standards. I got me a one of a kind limited edition. So, while it's still an LP- it's kind of unique. Having a sunburst one is like having a black Strat lol.

But at the end of the day, you need to decide what's right for you. Go out and play a bunch of guitars. After which, if you still want a Les Paul... get one!

so i guess what yur saying (in a crappy analogy)
its like buying an off brand of cerial
just cuz its called berry crunch and not captain crunch makes no difference....it tastes exactly the same its just the Meijer brand of that cerial.. hha
Quote by FacingUsAll
What country do you live in?

What amp do you have?

There are better guitars than Epiphones and Gibsons in either of their price ranges; don't limit yourself to just those two.

i live in USA Michigan

i have a Spider 3 line 6 amp....which i realized sucks so i will be getting a new one arount the time i start to seriously consider buying the les paul

and yeah i only want a les paul and nothing else so yeah
I'm selling a near-mint Epiphone Les Paul Classic with Gibson Burstbuckers in it right now. It's Korean made and according to the serial number thing above made in September of 2003. It also has a few other modifications.

Here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892976 pics in 4th post
Quote by tygur91
i live in USA Michigan

i have a Spider 3 line 6 amp....which i realized sucks so i will be getting a new one arount the time i start to seriously consider buying the les paul

and yeah i only want a les paul and nothing else so yeah

does that mean you only want something with "les paul" written on it, or are you willing to take something which looks identical (and is an excellent instrument), but has a different name on the headstock?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My mantra is get an Epiphone if you're in a band, get a Gibson if you're in a gigging band.

A lot of people played Epiphones before going to Gibson.

Bayside, MCR, Oasis, etc
High as tits
Quote by JD Red LP
I'm selling a near-mint Epiphone Les Paul Classic with Gibson Burstbuckers in it right now. It's Korean made and according to the serial number thing above made in September of 2003. It also has a few other modifications.

Here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892976 pics in 4th post

that looks amazing!

how good is it, i mean do u like it or hate it

dont lie to me cuz im not gonna buy the guitar off you anyway

im not gonna buy unless i play the guitar first so buying online is not what im looking to do

im just wanting to hear what everyone else thinks
Last edited by tygur91 at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
does that mean you only want something with "les paul" written on it, or are you willing to take something which looks identical (and is an excellent instrument), but has a different name on the headstock?

no i just want a les paul stardard....i just want to know if it would make that much of a difference to buy an epiphone for cheap or if it will definataly pay off to go all out and buy the gibson

money is not that big of a deal

i can either buy an epiphone soon, or save a couple yrs and get a gibson

but i dont want to pay $1000 more if i could get an epiphone and have there not be too much of a difference
Quote by tygur91
so i guess what yur saying (in a crappy analogy)
its like buying an off brand of cerial
just cuz its called berry crunch and not captain crunch makes no difference....it tastes exactly the same its just the Meijer brand of that cerial.. hha

Pretty much, lol.
Ok well heres my theory on why I'm not buying an Epi LP, The guitar will be around $600, $80 for the case, and then another $50 or so for other stuff. So that comes out to over $700, so i figured why not just save it for a Gibson and get it $700 sooner.
Quote by T!AN
It really comes down to how it feels in your hands.

The sound difference really is negligible at a certain point, but the feel is not. Whether or not "feel" is worth a couple grand is completely up to you.

To me it is, so I'm saving up for a Gibson, but I'm having issues because I don't like the way chambered LP's feel. I might just end up with a MIJ copy if they are as good as people say they are and aren't overhyped and a complete letdown like other guitars I've played *cough*PRS*cough*.

If your just after sound, get an Epiphone.

The new les paul standard traditionals have the non chambered bodies, I agree though, I just can't get used to the chambered bodies either.

Gibsons have pretty poor QC these last few years too, I bought my guitar back in 2002 and had to try 3 different ones before I got one that felt GREAT in my hands.

And to the threadstarter, Gibsons are better guitars than Epiphones period. They can both be hit or miss but when you miss with an Epiphone, a miss with a Gibson is still better, and when you hit with an Epiphone, a hit with a Gibson is still better. No matter which brand you go, you'll have to make sure it plays well first and is solidly built because both put out lemons these days. Regardless, the difference in quality of materials, electronics and general craftsmanship puts Gibson over Epiphone, which it certainly should be considering you're paying many times the price.

Saying Epiphones are just as good is like when bald people say "bald is beautiful" (I picked that up from the Les paul forums lol). However, the Japanese based Elitist series IS very good. Easily on par with the Gibsons in terms of quality.
If you get a Gibson, look for a used 90's one. IMO the best guitars Gibson has made in the last 20 or so years. Epiphones are not bad either, but look for a Korean-made one, or an Elitist.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Last edited by FloyDZeD at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by tygur91
that looks amazing!

how good is it, i mean do u like it or hate it

dont lie to me cuz im not gonna buy the guitar off you anyway

im not gonna buy unless i play the guitar first so buying online is not what im looking to do

im just wanting to hear what everyone else thinks

haha you sure you don't want it?

I loved the guitar, and I still do, it's just not my style anymore. Plus I'm trying to thin the herd so I have money to pay for lessons and my project guitar. It sounds bit different from my friend's Gibson with the same pickups but he has one of the vintage mahogany ones that doesn't have a maple cap, different, not bad.

If I did it again I would buy another classic because of the slightly thinner neck or get an agile LP off Rondo Music. Awesome quality per dollar and supposedly blows the Epiphone away at a lower price and the higher priced ones are even better. You could also save up a little bit more and buy an ESP/LTD EC-1000. They have some with passive pups instead of the EMGs and they all smoke the Epiphones (and most of the Gibsons I've played).

You really can't go wrong if you take your time and find something that works for you, and you don't have to spend $2000+.
Quote from Martin Scott:

My reply....
I back up what I say with 30 yrs. of playing guitar. I've owned a lot of different brands before graduating to a Gibson. I owned an Epi in the early 80's and had to replace the pots Pick ups and switches to try and make it sound like a Gibson. No comparison. As far as quality goes I never ever had a bad Gibson guitar. And as far as endorsements go, all the great guitarists Ace Frehley, Jimmy Page, Slash, Ted Nugent, just to name a few , owned Gibsons before they got endorsements.
Quote by tygur91
no i just want a les paul stardard....i just want to know if it would make that much of a difference to buy an epiphone for cheap or if it will definataly pay off to go all out and buy the gibson

money is not that big of a deal

i can either buy an epiphone soon, or save a couple yrs and get a gibson

but i dont want to pay $1000 more if i could get an epiphone and have there not be too much of a difference

in that case, i'd probably try to source a japanese-built epiphone. Either an elitist, or one for the japanese market (the ones for the japanese market have the "correct" headstock shape).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
The new les paul standard traditionals have the non chambered bodies, I agree though, I just can't get used to the chambered bodies either.

Gibsons have pretty poor QC these last few years too, I bought my guitar back in 2002 and had to try 3 different ones before I got one that felt GREAT in my hands.

And to the threadstarter, Gibsons are better guitars than Epiphones period. They can both be hit or miss but when you miss with an Epiphone, a miss with a Gibson is still better, and when you hit with an Epiphone, a hit with a Gibson is still better. No matter which brand you go, you'll have to make sure it plays well first and is solidly built because both put out lemons these days. Regardless, the difference in quality of materials, electronics and general craftsmanship puts Gibson over Epiphone, which it certainly should be considering you're paying many times the price.

Saying Epiphones are just as good is like when bald people say "bald is beautiful" (I picked that up from the Les paul forums lol). However, the Japanese based Elitist series IS very good. Easily on par with the Gibsons in terms of quality.

i'd agree with that, broadly. I still say gibsons are too dear, but they are "better" than the non-MIJ epis. the judgement call is whether they're sufficiently better to justify the extra expense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id say get a Gibson, first off ive played epiphones and Gibsons and Gibsons are far better, but you dont have to get the really expensive ones, you can get a LP studio which sounds just as good as a standard LP just without the same finish, also try get one second hand even though its been owned before its a gibson so itl still play well.
And i dont see the point in getting an Epiphone that sounds nearly as good as gibson if you can just get a gibson =/ so if your willing to save up definately get a gibson.
Quote by Dragoneyes
Quote from Martin Scott:

My reply....
I back up what I say with 30 yrs. of playing guitar. I've owned a lot of different brands before graduating to a Gibson. I owned an Epi in the early 80's and had to replace the pots Pick ups and switches to try and make it sound like a Gibson. No comparison. As far as quality goes I never ever had a bad Gibson guitar. And as far as endorsements go, all the great guitarists Ace Frehley, Jimmy Page, Slash, Ted Nugent, just to name a few , owned Gibsons before they got endorsements.

Wrong
MIJ Edwards, Burny, Greco, Orville, Tokai are all good alternatives to the Gibson and Epiphone. Look into them....
in all honesty, i would save for the gibby. i have a epi standard and a gibson custom shop and the gibson just blows it away. and im pretty sure its the plekd(or however its spelled) neck. its so comfortable and it sounds so much better than the epi. however with proper upgrads the epi can be good too. i put a dirtyfingers and a 490 in mine and its got really good tone, but the nice isnt as nice
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by YoHendrix
MIJ Edwards, Burny, Greco, Orville, Tokai are all good alternatives to the Gibson and Epiphone. Look into them....

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Martin Scott
As someone who owns both a worthless £300 Epiphone Les Paul Standard (2003, Korea), and a £2,000 Gibson Les Paul Standard (2005, USA), I can give you what I think is unbiased advice. My advice is thus:

Just get the Epiphone.

If you get a good Epiphone, you'll be rocking. My Epiphone is nearly as good as my Gibson (and I mean it's so close it's a photo-finish), and better than a lot of Gibsons I've played. Now, don't just get any Epiphone. I've played a ton of crap ones, and *apparently* the quality in the Epiphone line went downhill after they moved the production to China in 2004. Going by the more recent Epiphones I've played, I'd say that there is certainly some degree of truth to this. But to what degree, I don't know. My "piece of crap" 2003 Korean Epiphone is certainly a very high-quality instrument, and embarrasses Gibsons. It's not like I have a crap Gibson either, mine is top of the range. Here are my two, below:

The Gibson is definitely much more beautiful. But that's pretty negligible, and I think paying ten times more for looks alone is not worth it. The Gibson has a slightly nicer feel, better frets. Little things like that. It's a way, way smaller difference than you think. If we're talking about a nice Epiphone, that is. Comparing it to one of the recent dogs from China- yeah there'll be a huge difference. I'd certainly recommend buying an older Epiphone from Korea, pre-owned.

id agree with you on just getting the epiphone, unless you are playing in a band and will be ashamed of the epiphone name on the headstock i have a very good epiphone les paul custom that i changed the pickups and i have a gibson l/p standard 50s neck, both my necks are about the same size, the epiphone feels and plays as good as the gibson, infact the neck is easyer to play on the epi because it is slippy while my gibson is a bit sticky, the gibson looks better and sounds better but i wouldnt say it was worth £1000 more than the epiphone, i would like to hear the 2 with exactly the same pickups and see how they would compair that way but one has bursbuckers and the other has alnico 2, some say the gibson will hold its value better but the epiphone is only about £350 so that doesnt matter
Page 1 of 2