I am getting a Mesa Boogie 30watt Tube amp. I play jazz blues rock and metal basically. I am using a line 6 uber metal distortion pedal. I have heard somewhere that I could use an EQ to boost the gain channel, is this true? Also if not should I sell my current line 6 pedal for another pedal, what would your recommend?
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
the pedal will definitely make your entire rig sound better, and yea you can add more gain with the slider as IP said.

Also, what kind of mesa do you have? Do you really need that uber metal?
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes you can set it up to look like a frown aka mid hump from hell and that will boost it a bit also the MXR108 has a Gain slider you can use as well.

...I don't understand how the first part answers anything the TS asked? I'm guessing you think it'll help him in getting a tone that's suitable for metal, and if that's what you ment, I guess it would work.

Anyway, yes, you can just increase the output on the EQ pedal (I think every EQ pedal out there has an output slider) and that will boost the signal. Even if there isn't an output slider, you can just increase all the bands and the signal will be boosted. However, it might be noisy if the EQ isn't very high quality.

EQ pedals are very useful outside boosting too, the extra EQ bands really give you a lot more options in shaping your tone.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.

Also, no expert, but the above sound like good ideas.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by Fama
...I don't understand how the first part answers anything the TS asked? I'm guessing you think it'll help him in getting a tone that's suitable for metal, and if that's what you ment, I guess it would work.

Anyway, yes, you can just increase the output on the EQ pedal (I think every EQ pedal out there has an output slider) and that will boost the signal. Even if there isn't an output slider, you can just increase all the bands and the signal will be boosted. However, it might be noisy if the EQ isn't very high quality.

EQ pedals are very useful outside boosting too, the extra EQ bands really give you a lot more options in shaping your tone.

What you stated in bold is pretty much what i was talking about, but most metal guys just boost the mids.. Example Dimebag and Kerry King both used this technique because they needed more gain out of there amps..
TS,

The EQ pedal has a seperate "gain" which will increase your volume, but not your level of distortion of thats what your'e asking
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
TS,

The EQ pedal has a seperate "gain" which will increase your volume, but not your level of distortion of thats what your'e asking

Maybe if you run it in the loop, but if you run it in front of the (tube) amp, it would increase the level of distortion. Like a clean boost.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
the mxr eq has an actual gaingain slider separate from the output
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣