I'll be going off to college in about a month, and I recently decided to invest in a new, cheap guitar to tinker around with.

Considering potential annoyances to fellow roommates and space constraints, would an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar be better suited for a tight college environment? Ideally, I would prefer an electric because I'm more into rock than acoustic stuff, but I play around on a crappy ancient acoustic now and it does me alright.

And that said, what are some cheap but maybe halfway-decent brands of guitars I could look at?

Thanks to all of you that respond with help!
If you're looking for a sweet guitar that won't break the bank, get a Kramer Striker 422-SM FR. Mine was $250 and it is SWEET! I plan on swapping out the bridge pickup for an evo or something, but you, being a beginner, really shouldn't have to worry about that.

Some other sweet brands are Ibanez, Epiphone, Squire, and even Fender makes some fairly priced guitars. Ohh, and one more thing... DO NOT GET A FIRST ACT!!!!!!!!
Last edited by The.new.guy at Aug 3, 2008,
I say don't worry about annoying other people and just get what you want to play. They'll probably hear you whether it's acoustic or electric. The plus to electric is that you can use headphones in the middle of the night and not get in trouble.

You'll probably be annoyed by things that other people do, so you might as well have something to fight back with.
OK, thanks for the tips. I saw a used Squier in a store the other day for $100 and the guy said it was a pretty good deal. Obviously I'd have to check it out for damage and wear and whatnot first, but that seemed pretty attractive to me. But I'll look at a Kramer too, definitely.
Quote by ndschroede23
OK, thanks for the tips. I saw a used Squier in a store the other day for $100 and the guy said it was a pretty good deal. Obviously I'd have to check it out for damage and wear and whatnot first, but that seemed pretty attractive to me. But I'll look at a Kramer too, definitely.

Yeah man, get an electric. With an acoustic, if you really get into it, it will be LOUD, no way around it. But an electric is (acoustically) a lot quieter and you can always adjust the volume or use headphones.