Page 1 of 3
People always talk about the meaning of life and it gets boring as the

"there is no meaning to life,"
"life is about procreation,"
"life is about having as fun,"
"life is about being a good *insert religious-affiliation here*,"

arguments get thrown around. So let's talk about the meaning of death.

Is there a meaning of death? If so, what is it?

Go.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The meaning of death is to end life.

(and begin a new chapter in Heaven or Hell, that's what I believe)
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
To make life seem more important.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
The meaning of your death will be to make my empire stronger.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It means I will become stronger than you can ever imagine
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
The termination of the biological functions that define living organisms.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
We can't live forever, so, we die.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
People need a meaning to everything...
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
The meaning of life is to have as much fun as possible without having a directly negative impact on those around you, you do this because you wish to be treated like you treat others. Living your life by this will make you a far better human than any religion can.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
ummm so the micro.buddies can eat you and make methane from your body ... that's the point i guess
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
To make life seem more important.

This guy just said it perfectly.
You know, I just watched The Big Lebowski again - and it just made the meaning of life so much clearer. Fuck it, I'm going bowling.

edit: meaning of death... oops. fuckit...
"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
It's either the final chapter or a transition into a completely new and unknown one.
Quote by exect4500
spending the rest of eternity in your local cemetery and/our decorative Urn

needs more viking burial
Quote by darkstar2466
People always talk about the meaning of life and it gets boring as the

"there is no meaning to life,"
"life is about procreation,"
"life is about having as fun,"
"life is about being a good *insert religious-affiliation here*,"

arguments get thrown around. So let's talk about the meaning of death.

Is there a meaning of death? If so, what is it?

Go.
What's your opinion?

Since I don't believe that the human species as a whole is 'meant' to be here for any particular purpose other than the same as any other species, I don't think our life cycle (including death) has a meaning. It's just happening, for no reason other than we've survived this long. If you're asking what it means to die, it means that our life cycle has ended. That's not a negative view, in fact I think it's liberating. What our lives are about is subjective IMO.
death is the beggining of the end...or the end of the beggining...wait there the same thing
Sig space available, give me some praise
Death is required for everything to keep on living. The death of an animal feeds another. The death of a plant fertilizes the soil.
Quote by rigiddigits
What's your opinion?

Since I don't believe that the human species as a whole is 'meant' to be here for any particular purpose other than the same as any other species, I don't think our life cycle (including death) has a meaning. It's just happening, for no reason other than we've survived this long. If you're asking what it means to die, it means that our life cycle has ended. That's not a negative view, in fact I think it's liberating. What our lives are about is subjective IMO.

But clearly, as super-conscious creatures (compared to most other species, spare whales, dolphins, chimps, etc.) we are closer to the collective subconscious than all other species on earth.

On a literal perspective, life and death have no meaning. What does life mean in on a mystical perspective? The act of living? You and I can surely answer that with some feeble words.

Similarly on the mystical perspective, death has a meaning too. What it is, I can't even put in feeble words.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Death is like the "game-over" of life. And unfortunately, once you reach Death, there are no one-up mushrooms to be found...

Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
why is everyone saying what happens to your body?
yeah it gets put in the earth or decorative urn, if put in the earth helps other species live.

but what happens to the spirit when the body dies is what matters.
it goes to heaven or hell.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Last edited by veggiederek at Aug 3, 2008,
LOL gunpoweder.. you my friend, are funny.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by seljer
you body fails at sustaining itself and it stops

Meh. this.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by darkstar2466
But clearly, as super-conscious creatures (compared to most other species, spare whales, dolphins, chimps, etc.) we are closer to the collective subconscious than all other species on earth.

On a literal perspective, life and death have no meaning. What does life mean in a mystical perspective? The act of living? You and I can surely answer that with some feeble words.

Similarly on the mystical perspective, death has a meaning too. What it is, I can't even put in feeble words.
Our natural human ability to pursue complex and abstract goals is key to those questions, I think. The fact that we actually think about whether and why our lives and deaths are significant, looking to attribute metaphysical properties to them, is one of the things that sets us apart from other animals and might even be what makes human life meaningful in the first place. Searching for meaning is a natural process; that's why some form of spiritual belief has been around for as long as we've been smart enough to look up. You mention that you feel that death must have a meaning, but it's also too big for humans to conceptualise (or I assume that's what you think.) I agree.

But however intuitive this meaning might seem, I'm still faced with my belief that existence precedes essence. I don't think human lives were intended to have any significance by a higher being, therefore we have to determine what it means to be human ourselves. The collective subconsciousness that you describe might be a subjective concept, taking into account how perfectly nature functions balanced by the interdependency of all organisms, and how relatively badly our species is harmonising with this balance despite (and perhaps even because of) being equipped with a much higher cognitive capacity.

Maybe there's a sort of hierarchy of meaning and interpretation going on, even though there isn't a benevolent creator, but we're necessarily unaware of it because for all we know our species is at the top of the tree - which is how we can work out the nature and significance of other animals' lives but not our own, beyond the popular 'be a good person' concepts. Since we can't venture out of our own consciousness, we can't get a bird's eye view of the human race. Now I don't want you to think I'm a crazy person or nothin', but I think logic dictates that somewhere out there exist superior beings to humans, who would be capable of such an insight. I doubt we'd be able to understand them if they told us though, considering what would be likely to be an astronomical gap in our methods of communication.

/rambling
Quote by veggiederek
why is everyone saying what happens to your body?
yeah it gets put in the earth or decorative urn, if put in the earth helps other species live.

but what happens to the spirit when the body dies is what matters.
it goes to heaven or hell.

There isnt any such thing as heaven or hell thats just a misinterpretation (cant spell) of night and day (well in my opinion and a lot of other peoples too)
No one here, gets out alive
Oxidization of the body!

Seriously, we die so our organic matter can create some other living being sometime in the future.

Which means... that jesus died to make you!

But so did the dinosaurs, so it's all good.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
meaning of death
to make more room
and possibly reincarnation, but i'm not sure whether i believe in it or not
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by estranged23
There isnt any such thing as heaven or hell thats just a misinterpretation (cant spell) of night and day (well in my opinion and a lot of other peoples too)

prove me to me there's no heaven or hell..
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Quote by rigiddigits
Our natural human ability to pursue complex and abstract goals is key to those questions, I think. The fact that we actually think about whether and why our lives and deaths are significant, looking to attribute metaphysical properties to them, is one of the things that sets us apart from other animals and might even be what makes human life meaningful in the first place. Searching for meaning is a natural process; that's why some form of spiritual belief has been around for as long as we've been smart enough to look up. You mention that you feel that death must have a meaning, but it's also too big for humans to conceptualise (or I assume that's what you think.) I agree.

But however intuitive this meaning might seem, I'm still faced with my belief that existence precedes essence. I don't think human lives were intended to have any significance by a higher being, therefore we have to determine what it means to be human ourselves. The collective subconsciousness that you describe might be a subjective concept, taking into account how perfectly nature functions balanced by the interdependency of all organisms, and how relatively badly our species is harmonising with this balance despite (and perhaps even because of) being equipped with a much higher cognitive capacity.

Maybe there's a sort of hierarchy of meaning and interpretation going on, even though there isn't a benevolent creator, but we're necessarily unaware of it because for all we know our species is at the top of the tree - which is how we can work out the nature and significance of other animals' lives but not our own, beyond the popular 'be a good person' concepts. Since we can't venture out of our own consciousness, we can't get a bird's eye view of the human race. Now I don't want you to think I'm a crazy person or nothin', but I think logic dictates that somewhere out there exist superior beings to humans, who would be capable of such an insight. I doubt we'd be able to understand them if they told us though, considering what would be likely to be an astronomical gap in our methods of communication.

/rambling

Egads. Reading that was like listening to a Joseph Campbell lecture.

Yeah, I do have to agree that any meaning we happen to place on the concrete ideas of life and death are based upon our inherent nature to reach for the abstract. However, as you said as logic dictates, there should be some sort of being that gets the birds-eye view on the human race as we do on all species below us. Apparently being on top gives us a sufficient explanation of what each species in the evolutionary ladder below us serves for. Similarly, even if the gap is astronomical, between us and a more evolved being, that being would be able to explain the essence of our life and death. (as we would explain what the fox is there for and why it dies, relative to its habitat)

Also directly related to the "meaning" of death is the belief of an afterlife. I think those inclined to believe in one would answer something like "to be reunited with heaven..." And those who are scientifically inclined, like one of the guys above, would say that we serve to decompose so that our bodily matter gets recycled in the grander scheme of things. I think that it can be settled with the already-mentioned idea that death is too big of a concept for humans to conceptualize. If you hear the world's best mythologists speak, they will say that the purpose of life is to live and celebrate the act of living, and to assign arbitrary meanings to the act is like taking the whole universe and compressing it into a button. Similarly, if the purpose of death is the same, to celebrate the act of departure, then certainly it seems not a bad thing at all!
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
^Cool. This is the most philosophy I've done in months. You sir have provoked my thoughts.
Quote by veggiederek
prove me to me there's no heaven or hell..
Prove to us there is.
Last edited by rigiddigits at Aug 4, 2008,
^ luls god is liek ultimaet so heven n hel exests okay
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 3