alright, so I've been trying to write some real jazz for the longest time, and I think this is definitely pretty close. It's a fun song to learn, pretty complex, and has a neato instrumental section. Give it a look! Crits are nice too =D
Attachments:
New Compressed (zipped) Folder (2).zip
Excellent. The rhythm that carried throughout the song was very fluid and catchy. The variety of instruments provided a great soundscape. THe guitar solo was blazing, I must say. However, its mainly 16th note patterns seem a little grinding against the rhythm. I suggest using more syncopation which the 16th note runs and also taking some of the single notes and making them broken minor 7th chords (which you seem to enjoying playing). Breaking up the 4/4 time would also add another dimension of complexity and interest to your song. Overall, very very good.
dude, that was beautiful. definitely Jazz there. I wish I'd see more stuff like this on UG.

but everything was beautiful. the only things that I think you could improve are that the solo needs at least a couple measures of slower, "bendy lines before it jumps into the wonderful noodlin you got going there.

also, I didn't like how there was a break and a return to the first riff. It seemed to totally break the flow of the song.

that was really all I could find. very very very enjoyable piece you've written.

and the end of 65 until the beginning of 72 was my absolute favorite.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Aug 3, 2008,
I loved everything except for the solo... Which was good, but not as good as the rest. It started to get better at bar 65.

But yeah, I've always wanted to write a song like this... This is pretty amazing.
IMO, this sounds like a pop song based on the misconceptions people outside of jazz create. Not a bad song by any means, it's just not jazz. Sounds very new wavish, rather relaxing. The solo was very, very good.
Quote by CanCan
IMO, this sounds like a pop song based on the misconceptions people outside of jazz create. Not a bad song by any means, it's just not jazz. Sounds very new wavish, rather relaxing. The solo was very, very good.

for a couple of years my guitar teacher (who was a jazz and rock musician) would have me play "classic" jazz tunes for practice.

and I can honestly say that this sounds Jazz. all of the same basic concepts/structure in my eyes...
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Really, really good. I cant really find much of a fault... The part where the flute/piccolo fade in is a bit jarring though.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Oh wow, thanks guys! These crits are very flattering!
I agree with most of your constructive critisism though, this definitely isn't "true" jazz. For one it's in 4/4 all the time and the solo is all played in... well... the right key haha, that can't be right. I also agree that the solo was kinda wankish, but it's hard to do a lot of bends and long notes with clean guitar. Thanks for the crits guys!