recently i posted a thread to help me decide between a randall stack or a line 6 stack. I was showered by responces like " they both suck " and " get a tube combo "
so I spent some time looking at tube combos and tube stacks, and after each one I would look on the forum for any comments on them, and I found :

Peavey Valve king - quality issues, speakers have to be replaced often

randall hammett sig 120 - overrated and solid state

line 6 spider 3 series - sound quality bad, horrible dependablity

peavy winsor - so clean sounds and speaker issues.

All solid state amps seem to be shunned by everybody on here, are
they really that bad?
they're not as bad as everybody makes them out to be... the good ones that is

you have to pay for quality no matter what it is
well the windsor and the kirk hammett randall head are tube. if u get a spider or an mg you will regret it because eventually you will realize that you hate the way it sounds(very very over processed) and that will probly be after a few repairs aswell. then ull be pissed becuz you spent all that money on it and repairing it that you could have gotten a decent tube amp that is much more durable.

btw the valve king is a great amp and if you upgrade the speaker you wont have to replace it anywhere near as much as if you just replace it.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Vox valvetronix have quite good reviews

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
well the windsor and the kirk hammett randall head are tube. if u get a spider or an mg you will regret it because eventually you will realize that you hate the way it sounds(very very over processed) and that will probly be after a few repairs aswell. then ull be pissed becuz you spent all that money on it and repairing it that you could have gotten a decent tube amp that is much more durable.

btw the valve king is a great amp and if you upgrade the speaker you wont have to replace it anywhere near as much as if you just replace it.
the kirk hammett stack im talking about is the cheaper one, and its ss
Solid state amps aren't really that bad, it's just that you can often find a tube amp in the same price range that sounds better. Some people do choose to use SS, but most like the sound of tubes more.

Anyhoo. What sort of music do you play, and how much cash do you have to spend?
Quote by cokeisbetter
Solid state amps aren't really that bad, it's just that you can often find a tube amp in the same price range that sounds better. Some people do choose to use SS, but most like the sound of tubes more.

Anyhoo. What sort of music do you play, and how much cash do you have to spend?
metallica, and harder stuff. but I have a '64 jazzmaster that would sound killer with a tube combo. I have $ 720 max but at guitar center only. I have been leaning towards the cheaper randall hammett sig, or a valve king 212
Your best bet would be to check out the B-52 amps, like the B-52 At-100.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ