Hey guys, I'm just gonna make this straight to the point. What is the number one thing you struggle with in playing guitar? Please share, I bet somebody here can help you, rather it be me or somebody else.
having to listen to metal in guitar stores
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Learning theory. ive only been playing a year and 2 months and technically i play on a pretty advanced level but i hardly know any theory at all. I havnt put much time into learning it either but im taking Music Theory at school this year which starts thursday so that should open up a lot of doors for my playing and writing ability
Learning songs.

Guitar's not my primary (and not even secondary!) instrument, so I practice maybe... an hour a week.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
pulling off and going down the board at the same time.

exs: in the solo for "one" and "orion"
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Being able to duplicate things i hear, or learning songs by ear.
I'm practically tone deaf but I'm working on it.
Quote by PeachWater
applying theory

Please post a thread with specific questions on applying theory. When you can get help but decide not to ask, the problem is that you're hurting yourself. I'd love to help you out if I can and I'm sure everyone else here would too.

Quote by ImSiler99
Learning theory. ive only been playing a year and 2 months and technically i play on a pretty advanced level but i hardly know any theory at all. I havnt put much time into learning it either but im taking Music Theory at school this year which starts thursday so that should open up a lot of doors for my playing and writing ability

That's great that after a year and 2 months that you're advanced. If you have any theory questions right now, you could post a thread and everyone here will gladly help.

Quote by joshua029
pulling off and going down the board at the same time.

exs: in the solo for "one" and "orion"

Dude, I know both those songs by heart. "Orion" is my favorite Metallica song. PM me about the problems you're having and such and I'll try to help. If you know exactly what's wrong I'm sure the Advanced Techniques forum could help you out.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Dude, I know both those songs by heart. "Orion" is my favorite Metallica song. PM me about the problems you're having and such and I'll try to help. If you know exactly what's wrong I'm sure the Advanced Techniques forum could help you out.

i just cant do it fast enough, not exactly sure what the prob is...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Writing good songs, and learning solos. I can solo just fine, but ask me to learn somebody else's and I'll crash and burn.
Tripping on the strings, warming up (I have Raynaud's Disease), and learning chord shapes. I could also say sight-reading is a major weak point, but I devote an hour a day, so I'll get better.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Tripping on the strings, warming up (I have Raynaud's Disease)

Have you tried massaging you fingers and soaking your hands in warm water before playing?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
my trouble would be... I don't even know, I went through a tough time a while back. I'm a free man and now any time spent with my guitar is a blessing. I guess my struggle would be to appreciate other people's playing more, I'm not just my own worst critic, I'm everyone's.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Writing good songs, and learning solos. I can solo just fine, but ask me to learn somebody else's and I'll crash and burn.

That's not unusual. I mean, they wrote it. It's just easy for them because that's their stuff, it came from them. If you wrote something, it might be hard for someone else you know?
Quote by Archeo Avis
Have you tried massaging you fingers and soaking your hands in warm water before playing?

Yup yup. I do that all the time. My house is just so damn cold though. I actually wear gloves almost year-round because of it.
my problem with guitar is that i know tons of theory, and im an advanced player for only playing like 2 years, but i cant put them two together.
i cant improv for ****.
its so depressing cause people are like "DOOD YOUR SO GOOD AT GUITAR PLAY US A SOLO YOU MADE UP" and im like............uh............
it sucks
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by cokeisbetter
I can solo just fine, but ask me to learn somebody else's and I'll crash and burn.

im the exact opposite lol.
i can play tons of OTHER peoples solos, but i cant do improv at all.

EDIT:
sorry for the double post
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Either learning itself or picking quickly.

It sucks cause all of the songs I like involve fast picking.
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Tripping on the strings, warming up (I have Raynaud's Disease), and learning chord shapes. I could also say sight-reading is a major weak point, but I devote an hour a day, so I'll get better.

I've got Reynaud's too, it sucks. I have to wear gloves almost nonstop in the winter... the only good thing about the miserably hot summers here is that I don't need the gloves.
For me, just developing clarity and speed (single notes and transitioning from chord to chord) across the board is probably the biggest thing. Two years of playing and I still don't really get anywhere with my playing. I think the left hand needs work on economy of motion (tips anyone?), the right just needs work and it doesn't help that I recently started playing fingerstyle almost exclusively. I'd dabbled in it before, but I rarely get the pick out now.
That said, guitar is a secondary instrument for me, so I don't play as often as I'd like. I know that doesn't help things at all, but it's quite frustrating.
sweep picking mostly.

also, stereotypically, as a guitarist, I'm supposed to hate guitar hero, but I still guiltily find it enjoyable.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Wow, this got more replys then i thought it would. Thanks for all the replys, and keep them coming. Anyways, my biggest struggle would probably be theory, because I only know so much and it would open more doors if I knew more.
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
my problem with guitar is that i know tons of theory, and im an advanced player for only playing like 2 years, but i cant put them two together.
i cant improv for ****.
its so depressing cause people are like "DOOD YOUR SO GOOD AT GUITAR PLAY US A SOLO YOU MADE UP" and im like............uh............
it sucks

if you want to be good at writing solos you practice dun dun dun.... writing solos. How do you do it? Pick a key signature, a time signature and mess around. Go in with the mindset of knowing that it will suck, hard, for a very very long time. Just mess around randomly with stuff you know and try whatever you feel like, there is absolutely no shame in trying and failing, just don't give up.
Fast picking runs, self confidence about my playing, and playing live. I get SOOOOO nervous that I can barely play. I will always tell the rest of the guys "No leads for me tonight I'm too shaky!" and one of the other guitarists will improvise for me :/
Quote by farcry
if you want to be good at writing solos you practice dun dun dun.... writing solos. How do you do it? Pick a key signature, a time signature and mess around. Go in with the mindset of knowing that it will suck, hard, for a very very long time. Just mess around randomly with stuff you know and try whatever you feel like, there is absolutely no shame in trying and failing, just don't give up.

ive tried so many times jamming with people.
but it just doesnt work i dont know why.
but im not gonna give up i love music.
thanks =]
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
writing songs/riffs... I can think up maybe a two measure riff, sounds pretty good. But i can't get beyond that. Then i listen to my ipod, and all those artists can make a killer riff with 3 notes...
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
im perfect <3 like an angel. haha jk

im really satisfied with how far i came. ive been playing guitar for 6 years now and
like i know a ton of techniques and tons of theory and how to apply it and Ive been studying improv for years now. But im in a band where my friend has very basic music understanding so everything i worked for was overkill for this band but i have a lot of fun with it!

i guess my problem is i dont have any motivation and drive to keep going. it would be nice to have a mastery over my instrument and singing but i guess ill never get there.
Last edited by LawnDwarf at Aug 4, 2008,
Let's put it this way; I'm not gonna brag about my alternate picking, pull-offs or sweeping
Call me Batman.
-Making sure all my band members can practice at the same time-- harder than it should be.
-Keeping myself from going nuts with obscure lyrics and what many may see as "largely foreign" scales and progressions.
-Writing major progressions
-Somewhat of a problem writing solos, but I play bass when we're all together and we don't have too many solos
-Getting horns, seeing as we play ska
-The process of writing parts that play simultaneously because no one in the house plays guitar and I generally have to write alone
Quote by Fedayee
The process of writing parts that play simultaneously because no one in the house plays guitar and I generally have to write alone

I definetly can see how that would be hard. I only have one other guitar player that will actually play with me in my house, and I usually can't get him for long.
I have been playing for like 7 or 8 years now, and from the sound of some of you kids here I'm where I should be after 2. However, the one advantage to that is I have great muscle memory. My theory sucks, my technique sucks, and I have trouble learning songs (mostly cuz of impatience). However I have recently tried to improve these and I have been blown away by how quickly I'm learning. In the past month I have probably improved more than the past 5 years (actually not probably, definitely). Why? Because I know how to play guitar, I'm just learning how to play guitar well now. So if your just getting started and your sick of theory and scales and learning songs, stop, play guitar for an hour a day when you can, and most importantly enjoy it. If I had tried to force myself through the stuff I'm learning now 5 years ago I probably would have quit, becuase it sucks learning theory and everything while learning how to simply use your hands on the guitar. Theory does you no good if it makes you hate guitar. Have fun, when one day you say to yourself "I love to play guitar, I want to play guitar my whole life, and get better at it" then start a regimen of practice, becuase then youll be motivated. Don't force anything. Listen to some primus solos... mostly noises, I dont think he really even frets notes (haha slight exaggeration dont kill me).

Summary:
The guitar is an object which when touched produces sounds. When touched properly these sounds can be pleasing. So, go touch your guitars, make sounds.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ive recently begun applying vocals to songs Im playing and sometimes I REALLY struggle playing the progressions to the rhythm of the song instead of the lyrics. My chord changes seem to want to come out only at a break point in the vocals. Im getting better fixing it, but it still pisses me off.
Quote by cokeisbetter

same here

Quote by tubetime86

Summary:
The guitar is an object which when touched produces sounds. When touched properly these sounds can be pleasing. So, go touch your guitars, make sounds.

women do the same thing, can we go touch and make sounds with them instead when we get bored with the guitars?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by pr4ctic4l
Ive recently begun applying vocals to songs Im playing and sometimes I REALLY struggle playing the progressions to the rhythm of the song instead of the lyrics. My chord changes seem to want to come out only at a break point in the vocals. Im getting better fixing it, but it still pisses me off.

Ya I dont sing but when I try I always strum the words. Try humming with your playing first then working your way up. Thats what someone told me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
hmmmmm my sweeping sounds like teh newbz.... also i can finger pick but i'd like to be able to be REALLY good, like classical style. also tapping, i can but i want to be able to pull some 8 finger tapping
Quote by tubetime86

Summary:

This made me laugh. I'm gonna add that to my sig.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 5, 2008,
Making myself practice each day and sticking to it.
Learning theory and applying it.
Learning solos and playing them fluidly.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
My fretting hand is weak as piss. Makes all sorts of things difficult when I play acoustic (which is what I do 95% of the time, so I guess it'll get stronger)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by enemy120
having to listen to metal in guitar stores

lol BIG +1 !