Why is it that some people care if their action is super low? Personally, I don't care about my action; it doesn't make a difference in my playing. I recently played a Dean Z that had really low action and then immediately went to my Les Paul (which apparently has "ridiculously high" action) and I noticed no difference in my playing.

So Ug, how do you like your action and why?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i like action low on my electrics because my style of play is all light touch and what not. Though on acoustics i prefer particularly high action, though im not sure why.
lower action means I don't have to lift my fingers as high. I don't lift my fingers much at all, so if there is high action, I tend to hit the sides of strings instead of landing on top of them. Also on bends, if strings I'm bending towards slide above my finger instead of under them, I have a harder time muting them when I release the bend. It all depends on how you play I suppose.
Basically it has to do with the shortest distance between two points. If a player is looking to play fast then cutting the travel of the string to the fret will aid in that. But then again if you have too low action you can get unwanted noise, fret buzz etc, and for some people it is hard to vibrato. I prefer medium low action for the most part.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
I like an action thats high enough for a brass slide ( might get a glass or ceramic slide though) to sound good, so not too low, but as low as I can get it without the sound choking etc.
Quote by SupremeACL
Why is it that some people care if their action is super low? Personally, I don't care about my action; it doesn't make a difference in my playing. I recently played a Dean Z that had really low action and then immediately went to my Les Paul (which apparently has "ridiculously high" action) and I noticed no difference in my playing.

So Ug, how do you like your action and why?

Do you have the Les tuned down? Seems to me a higher-action guitar would be tougher to fret, unless you go with light strings or have it tuned down. ::type
2-3mm of height on the 12th fret. Medium action i think.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Chorduroy
Do you have the Les tuned down? Seems to me a higher-action guitar would be tougher to fret, unless you go with light strings or have it tuned down. ::type

I have the LP in Standard with 10-52 gauge strings . And I've considered going further up in gauge. I don't really find it hard to fret, maybe I have a really heavy touch.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: