Hey everyone, im in a metalcore band,and our drummer is getting a new kit, his dad is a big southern country rock fan (you'll know why i introduced that aspect of him later) and he said he'll get our drummer a 1000$ vintage pearl kit off Ebay, he said the ones made back in the 60's and 70's were better quality , which i dont doubt him on, but we are 2 totally different styles of music, would a vintage pearl kit ( with a double bass pedal) be good for metalcore, or would that type of kit be more for Southern or classic rock, or, will it make no difference?
Poop.

Yes, poop.
it's all about the way he tunes it. He'll sound fine with a vintage kit.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by MightyAl
Get a drum machine. You only have to punch in the rhythm once that way.

truer words have never been spoken by a uger

seriously, it should be fine if he gets the right heads, maybe
its about the way you tune it. not the when it was made. it'll be fine.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I'm not sure. It could be fine but the only way to know is to try it out which isn't possible...
If you put some decent (Remo) heads on the toms/bass and get a few good sounding cymbals any kit will sound good if you know what you are doing.

If you want a newer kit though, I'd say try get hold of a decent priced Tama or Mapex kit. You can buy great cheap double bass pedals for about £100/$200.

Good luck though, the old kit will probably be fine if the drummer knows how to tune some toms.

Edit: Thinking through that actually...this is a metalcore band. Not a jazz band. If you are a serious band and plan on gigging a lot then you will need something sturdy like the newer kits I suggested.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Last edited by Mr. La Fritz at Aug 3, 2008,
60 and 70's kits are terrible compared to the quality of today drum kits. unfortuntly, things have moved on.

an old pearl kit shouldnt be £500 anyway unless it was imaculate and original.

The hardware on them just isnt built for the road.

Get an Export
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass