So my bands singer is telling me that he want's to go for singing only after 2.5 years of playing guitar, he was supposed to be rythm guitar and I am lead but I want him to go for both guitar and singing but he keep telling me that he is not good enough to play guitar and sing at the same time altough he really is good enough for it. I don't know what I should say to him that will make him pick up the guitar again. Finding another guitarist is nothing I would prefer since I think it's much better(and cooler ) to be only 4. And to be 1 guitarist only does allways feel so empty.
How good are you? And be honest.
Lots of bands have a single guitarist and have a huge sound.

Remember, no matter how something might sound in your head, it will ALWAYS be louder and thicker on-stage.
Propose this idea: Have him play guitar during some of the songs, and only sing during others. This is my ideal setup! I would love to have a nice 50/50 switch between 1 guitar and 2 guitars. There are certain riffs/songs that just sound too crowded when you add another guitar in, and there are some cool things you can do with two guitars, so I think thats a perfect situation.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Tell him that he doesn't have to be "good" to sing and play at the same time. It just takes practice.
Retro rocker: I can sweep 5 string and two-handed tapping but I have only been playing for 2 years.

Alienboy: I will suggest that to him.

Werty: Allready done that but he still say's it's never going to work.
To be honest, I know how he feels. I was a bass player/singer, but I practicaly gave up playing bass a few years ago to concentrate solely on singing.
I still play occasionaly but nowhere near on a regular basis.
The problem is, playing and singing can be really hard work, you never seem to get to relax and find your stride during a gig because you have two different jobs fizzing away at the back of your mind.
Once I switched to just plain vocals, I found I could relax a lot more on stage and actualy enjoy myself, which after all is what it's all about, because as we all know, if you ain't enjoying it, there's no point in doing it.
Yeah, Slacker.... that's been my experience too. After playing guitar only for over 10 years in bands, and then making the move to singing, it was a challenge. Part of it was exactly as you say... coordinating the two together, and having so much on your mind at one time, there is really little else to think about.

I did play briefly in a band where I was just the singer, and found myself actually singing better because I could concentrate on it solely.

But then.... my then almost 20 years in of playing guitar in bands started to eat at me and I really missed it. When our guitarist quit, I kinda surprised the guys when I said I wanted to try out for the part. They only ever knew me as a singer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Yeah, Slacker.... that's been my experience too. After playing guitar only for over 10 years in bands, and then making the move to singing, it was a challenge. Part of it was exactly as you say... coordinating the two together, and having so much on your mind at one time, there is really little else to think about.

I did play briefly in a band where I was just the singer, and found myself actually singing better because I could concentrate on it solely.

But then.... my then almost 20 years in of playing guitar in bands started to eat at me and I really missed it. When our guitarist quit, I kinda surprised the guys when I said I wanted to try out for the part. They only ever knew me as a singer.

CT

Yeah, that's the thing isn't it chris, we can never hope to do either singing or playing as well together as we can doing either one on it's own, and our constant striving for perfection in our craft consigns us to personal disappontment when we try to do two things at the same time. Sure, we can get by and make a decent job of mixing the two and no one else would even know, but we know that we can do either singing or playing much better if we simply concentrated on one or the other, which kinda bugs.

I miss playing too occasionaly and to this end, get involved with jam sessions playing bass, but I always end up getting roped into singing as well, which just spoils it for me when all I'd like to do in this particular instance is concentrate on my bass playing and enjoy it.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 4, 2008,
just tell him that..
john lennon
kurt cobain
chriss cornel
steve inez
Mark arm
and daron mallakian can do it. and thats what got them famous
Does he contribute to the songs guitar parts?

If he does then convince him to try doing both as much
Quote by Muddyville
just tell him that..
john lennon
kurt cobain
chriss cornel
steve inez
Mark arm
and daron mallakian can do it. and thats what got them famous

But from a pure 'great singer, great guitarist' standpoint... Rik Emmet *smokes* all of those guys.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
But from a pure 'great singer, great guitarist' standpoint... Rik Emmet *smokes* all of those guys.

CT

That guy from Triumph? Oh hell yes, he's increadible, on both points.
Why is it cooler and better to be only four? That makes no sense.

Let the guy concentrate on what he wants to focus on, and audition another guitarist. Stop projecting your desires on the poor guy and move on.
singing makes or breaks the band for most audiences so let him sing and get a new guitarist

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Are you entirely sure you NEED 2 guitarists? A good bassist and decent guitarist can do most things that a bad bassist and two okay guitarists can do.
Quote by Tophue
you dont need two guitarists. red hot chili peppers

Hah I mean if we are going to list names....

Muse
Led zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix Experience
ZZ Top
Rush
Nirvana
Chevelle
Blink-182
Cream

need I continue?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Ultimately you need to look at your material and decide if you need two guitars, and if you don't, then come to terms with how badly you *want* two guitars.

It can be done either way. The material and your preferences will decide.

CT

No, you don't need two guitarists, but as I said in my first suggestion in this thread, there are some things that are better with one guitarist, and some things that are better with two guitarists (hence my playing guitar on half the songs suggestin). With one guitar, there are certain riffs that would just sound way too crowded if you added anything else with it. Also, some solos sound really sweet with just bass/drums in the background. But with two guitars, you can do harmonies, and arpeggios sound cooler in solos with a rhythem guitar. So there is no need for a second guitarist, but there are definatly some things you can do with it.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C