when i play 16ths over 140bpm I start to experience alot of tension in my arm as my technique changes from picking from a wrist movement to an arm movement.

Any one experienced this before/ can clue me into how to get around it?
dont play so fast. a good guitarist can say more with one note than a fast guitarist can say with 32.
Quote by xAlayax

Any one experienced this before?

Everyone has experienced this before. The short answer is to back off on the speed. The max speed that you practice should be the max speed that you can do it with your wrist. The elbow spazz thing is no good. You'll break through your plateau soon enough if you practice right.

Here's a link to a recent thread on the advanced techniques forum. The guy was having the exact same problem as you are, and there's lots of good advice.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921789
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
dont play so fast. a good guitarist can say more with one note than a fast guitarist can say with 32.

Way to completely not help the poster with his problem. This wasn't a debate about speed versus emotion.

On the posters topic, the key is going to be practicing slowly and gradually increasing your speed while keeping your picking consistent and from the wrist. Make sure not to play so fast that you end up using your arm instead of your wrist. Freepower probably talks about this stuff in some of his lessons. Read/Watch them.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

This is one of the two extreme opinions. One guy knocks speed and says this. Another guy thinks hes better and only cares about shredding at insane speeds.
I am in the middle i like to play fast and slow at different times and see the value of both. There no need to say things like this^. What i do have a problem with is the goal of speed hurting someones technqiue. Like the other poster said slow down on the speed. Play only at tension free speeds and focus on making small picking and fretting hand motions with a relaxed wrist motion. Speed up gradually and if you tense up youve gone to far.