Ok. So i have about $140 dollars and im trying to decide what to do.

1. I want to get an MXR Ten Band EQ to get the OD on my Randall to a more modern high gain tone.

2. Just use my Line 6 Uber Metal for my high gain tone and buy a Wah.

Im leaning towards the first one(which sounds more reasonable) but i was wondering if the EQ pedal would really do much for the gain or not.

If you have any other ideas along the same lines as these feel free to tell me.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
number 1

also you could consider a Boss ns-2. I'm quite sure that randall makes a large amount of unnecessary noise.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

ubers are good for jamming in your room at low levels..other than that the distortion gets real ****ty...other than that idont know much about your other option...
I've never heard an RG100es at high gain, but from memory it's a solid state amp from the 80s, so it most likely does what almost all solid state amps from the 80s do, the harder you push them, the more grating they sound. Whilst this can be good if you want a really harsh, ear cutting tone for a solo in a dense mix, it's not gonna have much other use.

I'd reccomend checking out the Digtech Blak 13 Distortion pedal. Don't let the fact that it's a Scott Ian signature peadl put you off, it's easily the tightest, punchiest distortion stompbox I've heard for under $300 (that's $300 Australian).

The problem you might run into is that modern high gain sounds come from driving the **** out of high gain preamp tubes like the 12AX7 and it's variants. Without a couple of those in your signal path, you've got an uphill battle ahead of you to get a really smooth, modern high gain tone.
Dude wahs arent as cool as they sound unless you play funk. I have a cheapo danelectro seven band and it is my single most important pedal. You can do unbelievable things with a 5-10 band EQ. It takes some practice to use but id deffinitely go with the EQ. Also, if you do get it the best way to get to know it is to dial up your different distortion levels and set all to middle and move each one all the way up and down to see what the different frequencies do and dial in accordingly. It takes quite a while to master but its well worth the ultimate tone shaping ability it gives you.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
Dude wahs arent as cool as they sound unless you play funk. I have a cheapo danelectro seven band and it is my single most important pedal. You can do unbelievable things with a 5-10 band EQ. It takes some practice to use but id deffinitely go with the EQ. Also, if you do get it the best way to get to know it is to dial up your different distortion levels and set all to middle and move each one all the way up and down to see what the different frequencies do and dial in accordingly. It takes quite a while to master but its well worth the ultimate tone shaping ability it gives you.

I agree with the wah part of this but avoid danelectro pedals. Boss makes a rather good 7 band and mxr makes two 10 bands. Go with those.

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

number 1. The MXR 10 band is amazing, massively versatile. And can push extra OD out of your amp

When going into higher gain stages i suggest you buy a ISP decimator noise gate. Those things let no noise out at all. The Boss one sucks tone in my opinion.
Quote by thellamaking
number 1. The MXR 10 band is amazing, massively versatile. And can push extra OD out of your amp

When going into higher gain stages i suggest you buy a ISP decimator noise gate. Those things let no noise out at all. The Boss one sucks tone in my opinion.

The boss doesn't affect my tone at all.

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Quote by umbrellacorp
I agree with the wah part of this but avoid danelectro pedals. Boss makes a rather good 7 band and mxr makes two 10 bands. Go with those.

hey i never said dan-o was good. Im just emphasizing the point of the importance of a multi band eq by stating that even a poop one is a huge advantage.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
hey i never said dan-o was good. Im just emphasizing the point of the importance of a multi band eq by stating that even a poop one is a huge advantage.

in that case

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Quote by umbrellacorp
The boss doesn't affect my tone at all.

Well i thought it did. Each to his own i guess.
Quote by umbrellacorp
in that case

however in dan-o's defense the fish 'n chips 7 band is 80 percent as effective as the MXR 10 band for 30 percent of the price and unless you're rockin' stadiums or studios the small amount of tone shaping ability and noise difference is negligable (unless you're playing to quiet or have unbearable eq center frequencies on your amp)