It's pretty easy to set apart rock from other genres, but once you get into it, there are a lot of bands that are really pissy-offish to define, in terms of hard-rock/metal, etc.
A theory I use in terms of guitar is that you have three schools of lead playing, the ones that are blues-influenced, then those that remove those influences, like a lot of shred i have listened to, and the weird stuff like Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy.
Of course, that is omitting a lot of more fusion stuff, but for just rock, I think it works. But can you call Led Zeppelin and Guns N Roses blues rock because of their guitar?
yes, considering led zeppelin had the idea when they formed that it would be a heavy BLUES band, at least zep is blues rock, for sure
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
That is because you are reducing it down to guitar, other instruments and vocals have a huge impact as to what a band sounds like, you can't reduce it down to just bare guitar playing.
Quote by Justin_43130
yes, considering led zeppelin had the idea when they formed that it would be a heavy BLUES band, at least zep is blues rock, for sure

How is Kashmir blues? Or Four Sticks? Or Misty Mountain Hop or Stairway or Your Time Is Gonna Come or hell 3/4 of all of Zeppelin's material. Yea that did a few blues tunes, and the influence was there, but to call them a blues band is really just stupid in my opinion. Zep are one of those bands that are very eclectic and are just really hard to define, people have been trying for 30+ years and no one has done it.
Yeah, I do have a tendency to not look past the guitar :P

Led Zep are tough, you're right, for them it's more on a song-to-song basis, I suppose, but bands that have a similar sound throughout are easier I think.
You refuse to classify Led Zeppelin not because it's impossible (which it clearly is), but because to put them in a category is to stifle their greatness and influence.

Rock is largely defined as a marriage of a percussion kit, vocals, and guitars (this includes bass). Every variation thereafter hangs on the modification of the importance of the instrument in the ensemble, and the manner in which it is played. To isolate guitar, for example, gives you Classical, Blues, Slide, Steel, etc. etc.

One could say that for the most part, all rock music is just a blast of mid range frequency.
When I hear a band, I usually can classify them under one of two genres: "good" and "bad". Besides that, I couldn't care less about what confusing subgenre they belong to.

That's just me though.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I only really care to recognize rock sub genres like Blues Rock, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Psychedelic, and Alternative. There are TONS of sub genres.

I'm thrown off a lot by what counts as metal and what counts as rock. Hair metal bands tend to sound like pop or rock, but somehow they're metal... I don't get it.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Quote by Thefallofman
When I hear a band, I usually can classify them under one of two genres: "good" and "bad". Besides that, I couldn't care less about what confusing subgenre they belong to.

That's just me though.
This. Though I tend to add a "great", "mediocre" and "terrible" genre as well

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.