im trying to get together a recording set up and slowly build it into a home studio piece by piece and the computer have now isnt cut out for recording. now i know it would just be cheaper to but new parts n stuff for it but i figured sinced my birthdays coming up i could just ask my parents for a laptop and that way my setup would be mobile andi could take it between my moms house and my dads house. how much/what are some decent laptops for recording? all i really plan on using for is that and ill just use my normal computer for everything else. now my parents arnt rich so it can be super duper expensive but what are soem cheaper ones?
Quote by xsv434
im trying to get together a recording set up and slowly build it into a home studio piece by piece and the computer have now isnt cut out for recording. now i know it would just be cheaper to but new parts n stuff for it but i figured sinced my birthdays coming up i could just ask my parents for a laptop and that way my setup would be mobile andi could take it between my moms house and my dads house. how much/what are some decent laptops for recording? all i really plan on using for is that and ill just use my normal computer for everything else. now my parents arnt rich so it can be super duper expensive but what are soem cheaper ones?

A Mac, they are the best really. Theres aa 1,100$-1500$. Basically you just pay more for black.
If you don't need to be completely portable go for a desktop for a recording PC. You'll get way more horsepower for less money.

If you must have a laptop, get as much processor and ram as you can afford. Also try get a 7200 rpm hard drive in the laptop.

What interfaces are you looking at?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
^ +1 and also try to get a firewire port on the laptop or desktop.
a 2GHz Dual core processor is min. IMO I would also say go with 2GB RAM

I think Desktops are the way to go...either that or a large MTR rig....but those can be limiting to work on and are hard to update.

Desktops are very easy to update and keep "up to date" though the years. The parts are cheaper and easier to get a hold of and the price of a desktop is generally lower. I like to build Desktops rather than buy one from the shelf. Most of the time you an save money, make a better machine, and you can customize the setup for your use.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 4, 2008,
get plenty of capacity on the drive but they have a lot anyway, don't go too cheap though, and know if you want vista, xp, or mac
Quote by musiclover_92
get plenty of capacity on the drive but they have a lot anyway, don't go too cheap though, and know if you want vista, xp, or mac

You don't have a choice now. You have to have Vista with a PC. What you can do though, is buy an XP license, but the cost for that has gone up.

If you plan on making a home studio to record people and bands eventually, I would get a mac. But only if you plan to do that within the next year or so because with technology going as fast as it is, there will be a breakthrough soon and something way better will be out in 1yr+.

I would strongly reccomend upgrading your computer, as it would cost less than buying a new laptop when yours becomes "old" in a year or so. Although, the Desktop industry is growing just as fast as the Laptop industry. I built my new PC a year and a half ago, and a couple months after, my parts were considered "old". Now they're almost ancient.

In short, Desktop PC is better for the long run compared to a laptop. If you MUST get a laptop, I would go for mac, but remember that Mac's are what most pro's use, so if you plan on going big soon, get a mac.

Edit: I just remembered, that all computers come with Windows Vista, BUT, Dell's are the only one's you can legaly downgrade to XP.
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
Last edited by k4rma at Aug 4, 2008,
Vista isn't all that bad TBH, I use it in my studio. The only thing you have to watch out for is if your hardware or software will work. Most major companies such as PreSonus and M-Audio have stable vista drivers out and others are following.
The older software I had still works with vsita so you should not have much problem there. New software almost always works with vista.

You just need a little more RAM and a good video card with vista (and run on low graphic mode).

^ IMO a part is considered "old" a week after its put on the market...
The computer industry really does move quickly these days so dont make any wishlist for parts and save it for a month, at that point better parts at the same price will be out.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 4, 2008,