I just scored a Vox AC30 1x12 mint condition, for $300.

It's been my lucky week.

Now, I'd just like to know...how to blend the normal & top boost channel?

Thanks!

JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Sounds like a fantastic deal. How did you pull that off?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Congrats on that find! And this is from memory, but I think that you plug into the top boost input and flip the switch toward the normal input.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
My friend's co-worker was selling it, and I called him that same second my friend told me. I picked it up today. I have been wanting one for two years already (Summer '06). I'm very very pleased, I needed a practice amp anyway, so it seemed like a good deal.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
You lucky bastard

How did you score a deal like that?

Also, pr0n and clips as always!

As for your question, I have minimal experience with AC30's so I can't help you much. I was confused on how to do it too when I played one.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
An AC30 is HARDLY a practice amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Thanks guys!

And to footballfan...yes I know! Ha, but I really just wanted something smaller. My band has a gig on the 21st, and I'm super excited to use it!
Quote by NeverMeant
Yeah, AC30 isn't a practice amp at all. It's pretty portable though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Sounds good.

Pics?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I don't have a camera, I'll have to post them sometime this weekend, along with the custom trem vinnie built me....I love that guy.
Quote by NeverMeant
Vinnie as in the.spine.surfs, or someone else?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ yes, the.spine.surfs.
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109

Now, I'd just like to know...how to blend the normal & top boost channel?

There should be a switch near the inputs. Plug into the Top Boost channel and flip the Input Link switch. You must be plugged in to the Top Boost jack and NOT the Normal jack. This is assuming you have an AC30 CC1 amp.

ok cool thanks!
Quote by NeverMeant
Soon, I will want to change the tubes. Now, I have heard some of the most mixed and confused opinions about tubes. JJ / Ruby / EHX / Sovtek / Tesla...and so on. What are some nice EL84's to put inside this thing!?
Quote by NeverMeant
Nice score. I want to pick up an AC30 head at one point. Played the 1x12 today at Sam Ash and it wailed.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Fo sho...
Quote by NeverMeant
I would suggest that you buy a Weber Copper Cap rectifier for it. It costs $20 and will save a lot of trouble. The AC30 eats rectifier tubes for breakfast and when those die, the power tubes often die as well. So unless you'd be fine with getting new tubes often, buy a Weber Copper Cap and call it a day
You just plug it in like any other GZ34 tube.

(the Copper Cap is a solid state replacement for the GZ34 tube)
Quote by johlin
I would suggest that you buy a Weber Copper Cap rectifier for it. It costs $20 and will save a lot of trouble. The AC30 eats rectifier tubes for breakfast and when those die, the power tubes often die as well. So unless you'd be fine with getting new tubes often, buy a Weber Copper Cap and call it a day
You just plug it in like any other GZ34 tube.

(the Copper Cap is a solid state replacement for the GZ34 tube)

eeewww
You got a better deal on yours than I did on mine. Congrats. I'm depressed now.

Quote by Gutch220
eeewww

I agree!

I went with JJ's in the power section and Tung-sol's in the preamp. The rectifier is probably a JJ as well, but I'm not sure right now. Tubes in that thing are a huge PITA to swap out. You pretty much have to take the amp apart. Pour a nice cup of calming tea and give yourself plenty of time the day you decide to do it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The Copper Cap will make the amp more reliable and less noisy. That's not eww.

There might be a difference in sag on higher levels but in my eyes it's still worth it. I don't want to have to buy new GZ34 tubes all the time.

You're not the ones claiming that the amp is Class A and that you notice sag, are you?
Quote by slatsmania
You got a better deal on yours than I did on mine. Congrats. I'm depressed now.

It took you a while to post on this thread

But yes, I was actually going to pm you either way, asking for what tubes to use.

Thanks!

JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
WTF 300 bucks, lucky.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Remember: For AC30's with a GZ34 Rectifier tube, you don't need to (and SHOULDN'T) use you Standby Switch. It should always be engaged so that the only switch turning your amp on and off is your Power Switch
The GZ34 acts as a psuedo-standby switch and doesn't allow a 700v spike through your amp unlike the standby switch which causes this spike. Many people don't know this about AC30's.

Using your stanby switch probably wouldn't hurt your amp for a long time and probably the worst that will happen is needing to replace tubes quicker.
I don't know if mine has that tube^
Quote by NeverMeant
So I should just leave the standby on, all the time? When I turn the amp on, I still need to wait though..it takes a couple seconds for the tubes to like...go into signal.
Quote by NeverMeant
Slats..you have a Red Fang...how does that sound?
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
So I should just leave the standby on, all the time? YESWhen I turn the amp on, I still need to wait though..it takes a couple seconds for the tubes to like...go into signal. I'd wait maybe 20 seconds or so. Just turn it on and by the time you grab your guitar and plug it in you should be good to go

Quote by forsaknazrael
explain?

For that amp I personally like tube rectification better
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think you should put in an Alnico Blue (or clone) in before you get new tubes. It will really make it sing how it is supposed to.

If you can get by, I'd save up and do both at once. As I mentioned, you pretty much have to take the amp apart to change the tubes. That's really an ideal time to swap out the speaker as well.

Quote by sloppyjoe109
Slats..you have a Red Fang...how does that sound?

I love it. I think it's an outstanding match for the amp. It's also a great value when you compare it to the price of an Alnico Blue.

That said, I liked the stock speaker, too. I found it to be very bright and articulate. It was also a nice match for the middy natural voice of the AC30. It compliments the amp well. I bought the amp thinking I'd swap out the speaker right away, but wound up liking it. I only swapped it out because it became blown - How, I don't know. Left it at the drummer's house in working order, next practice it didn't. "I don't know, man, I didn't touch it!" Yeah, right.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Left it at the drummer's house in working order, next practice it didn't. "I don't know, man, I didn't touch it!" Yeah, right.

I hate that. That's why I NEVER leave anything anywhere.
Hahaha ok. Thanks guys.
Quote by NeverMeant
so why does it have a standby switch? If the stock rectifier tube, as mentioned before, acts like a sort of standby?
Quote by NeverMeant
I would kill for one of these amps. I have enough money to get a couple, but I can't stand to spend that much on one thing.