I need to know the output of an Active EMG 85 pickup. In millivolts please, D.C. Resistance doesn't tell you jack about the output.
I couldn't find anything.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Its listed under the specs for the pickups. Or you can look at the wiring diagram PDFs for that particular pickup.
ive read both the technical specs and the data sheet, it doesnt say on either one. it seems like a frickin mystery.
Quote by -MintSauce-

And MintSauce delivers another fatal blow.

/Thread.

youve gotta be kidding me. 4 and a half volts of output just does not seem right, i must be missing something cause dimarzio's highest output pickup only has half a volt... my face is melting right now... there is something i dont know about pickup output... can someone help me out?? :<
EMG's have an active preamp, which amplifies the signal BEFORE it leaves the guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
EMG's have an active preamp, which amplifies the signal BEFORE it leaves the guitar.

The values in that table are for the output of the whole pickup unit, not just the coils.

Edit: That includes the preamp and other magical stuff inside.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Aug 4, 2008,
^ 500mV is 0.5V, actually, seeing as 1000mV = 1V.

So 4.5V would be 4500mV.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I want to die, right now. I seriously don't get why I thought that the 'milli' prefix was 10^-2 when I posted that.

Edit: I've just found this elsewhere:

Specifications

Logo Color: Gold

Resonant Frequency: 2.55 kHz

RMS Output Voltage: 1.25

Peak Output Voltage: 1.75

Output Noise: -89 dBV

Output Impedance: 10kOhms

Current @ 9V: 80 Microamps

Battery Life: 3000 Hours

So... 1.25V RMS.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Aug 4, 2008,

Easy to do.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by heroics0ld1er
wait, so its not REALLY 4500 mV right? can anybody tell me what it is?

DiMarzio X2N = 0.51V

EMG 85 = 1.27V

Edit: Yes, it's 4.5V peak (I assume) for strumming all of the strings - more string movement/cutting through the flux means more inductance, which will give more output.

You're looking at around 2V peak for single string stuff, or 1.27V RMS (Root Mean Square - look it up).
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Aug 5, 2008,
I think the problem here is that neither EMG or DiMarzio specify the testing conditions or properties of their output values, so they're a bugger to actually compare.

It looks like EMG are using peak values, but DiMarzio might be stating RMS outputs, which will be of a smaller magnitude.

The most important thing, though, is that if you grab two guitars - one with an EMG 85, and one with a DiMarzio X2N - both will overdrive a tube preamp easily, and both will sound great. You're more likely to notice the difference in tonal characteristics, than any difference in output - and even if you do, you can always just crank the preamp gain slightly, or use a booster pedal.