I'm looking for an amp that has enough power to be solidly loud in a band that plays in a basement, garage, or small venue. Currently I have a 45 Watt Behringer with a 10 inch speaker and it can't stand up to any other musicians I play with. I am wondering how much I need to upgrade to get some solid power.
What's your budget? Ideally, as much power as you can afford, but I'd say 100 watts is the bare minimum for venues that size. I've played small bars and venues with a 100 watt, 15 in. combo and have been powerful enough, but I was definitely cranking my amp even with help from the PA.

There's an ashdown combo that's extremely affordable, thats 300 watts I think, I would shoot for that.
I really have no budget. I'd say a thousand is pushing it but anywhere in the hundreds I can probably handle. The cheaper the better, but I want to get something SOLID.
My friend can get me a massive discount on an Ampeg amp so I'm probably gonna lean towards that, I'm just wondering how much power would fit my needs.
Quote by BlueShox
As much as you can afford. If you're get a decent s

Well see that's the problem. Sorry, I'm being stubborn, but I really can afford whichever amp I want, depending on how much work I'm willing to do to save up. I'm wondering what the minimum size would be for my needs. I would just save up and spring for the biggest amp I can find, but my parents would disapprove and it would be a freaking long time before I could afford an electric guitar or a fretless acoustic bass.
probably 200, but 300 would be much more ideal. try to refrain from using Behringer.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ashdown Mag? i've got a 300W one but a smaller one would suit you, what kind of amps are you playing against? Also you could have a gander at the Roland Cube Bass Series, oh and when you upgrade from a Behringer it's tradition to set it on fire, dance around it chanting and film the whole thing, then post it in this thread.
The most important thing first. What sort of tone do you want?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Just to point out to the people glorifying the Ashdown MAG, it only has 180 W out the box. It needs an extension cab to get all 300 W.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by aaciseric
Ashdown Mag? i've got a 300W one but a smaller one would suit you, what kind of amps are you playing against? Also you could have a gander at the Roland Cube Bass Series, oh and when you upgrade from a Behringer it's tradition to set it on fire, dance around it chanting and film the whole thing, then post it in this thread.

half-stacks.
Quote by food1010
half-stacks.

I play against a half stack and my Mag works fine, sounds louder than the guitarists amps sometimes.
If they are playing half stacks, the chances are that they will be obnoxious with their volume.

As for tone, it varies from person to person what a bass should sound like.

I say go and try every amp you can, and when you find one that is perfect, (plenty of power, 300W min; and a tone you like) save for it. Getting the right amp for you is far better than going cheap and getting the bare minimum of what will suffice.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It depends. If you want a warm, bassy tone then go with a 15. If you want a crisp, modern, clear tone then go for a 2x10.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
It depends. If you want a warm, bassy tone then go with a 15. If you want a crisp, modern, clear tone then go for a 2x10.

Alright