So I have a few questions. My budget is about $400-500 dollars for the guitar. I like to play all different types of music and honestly I don't know much at all when it comes to electric guitars and getting the sound you want out of one when it comes to a particular song on a particular brand of guitar. Example like playing Sweet Child o' Mine on a Strat instead of a Les Paul. Because I like lots of Jimi stuff and Blink 182 stuff which is played on a Strat but then I like Slash and Jimmy Page stuff too which is on Les Pauls.

1. Does it affect how the song will sound when it is played on a different guitar then what it is normally played on?

2. Is there any type of guitar that fits my budget that can produce a sound like the mentioned guitarists above by using the stock pickups?

3. Should I be worrying about the amp instead of the guitar for this situation?

Thanks for the help and input
If you can find some vintage ibanez, around the 80's to 90's which were high end guitars. Then your set. Key word Ibanez 550 and up, 500 and up are good. S also
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
I have a quetsion also, and it really goes along with your thread. But will a coil-splittable double humbucker guitar be really versatile while maintaining tone?? Ive heard it would be a good idea, i would suggest it.

EDIT: sorry for hijacking, i thought it would be a good point to make and ask.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Last edited by MakeItWitChu at Aug 3, 2008,
coil splitting is what will give you more of a single coil sound, coil tapping just lowers the output
ibanez art(ist?) series maybe, but id worry more about your amp, you're not gonna get a good jimi sound out a a high gain randall or a good blink-182 sound out of anything that sounds good
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Ghold125
coil splitting is what will give you more of a single coil sound, coil tapping just lowers the output

im sorry you think that way, coil tapping actually turns out the one of the coils so its actually using 1 coil and another way to say that is, single coil
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Yeah, lol the JS1200 does that, but he's 1000$ short.

I'd say a strat is more versatile then a les paul, and you (can) get a similar sound, it won't be exact but you can stil play it.

For the price range, strats seem like the good way to go. Epi's quality wise, aren't as good.

:/
Quote by ash_attack
im sorry you think that way, coil tapping actually turns out the one of the coils so its actually using 1 coil and another way to say that is, single coil

so would it make it really versatile? splitting or tapping, either way, its doing almost the same thing, right?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Ghold125
sorry to hijack but, ^ what edge trem does the rg520 come with

I believe its the original edge it looks exactly the same in my rg roadstar but in crome, it may also be an edge pro, but i think its an edge knowing that this guitar is built in the 90's.

To the guy who say that his short of the JS1200 by $1000, well i got my Ibanez S540 which is basically the same guitar as the JS1200 but better, thiner, awesome quility, and looks cooler in all aspect (yes the pickups are as good maybe better) for $250 plus case, strap, and ernie ball ultrafex cable
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Last edited by angeldef at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by MakeItWitChu
so would it make it really versatile? splitting or tapping, either way, its doing almost the same thing, right?

yupp

and i know its seymour duncan but im not sure if its a normal pickup or part of the black out series

but its a p90 and a regular single coil, like a true p90 plus theyre together to make a humbucker, thats all 3 in one, put 2 of those in a decent guitar and you should get every tone known to man and some to chimps
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
I don't have any electric gear I just have an acoustic guitar. But I will definitely check out the Ibanez you mentioned. And what is a good amp for $400 or less? I have read lots of reviews on the Fender Superchamp XD and all of them have said its very good.
Check out a used Dean Hardtail. Coil taps and shoulds fall right into your price range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by nan0
Yeah, lol the JS1200 does that, but he's 1000$ short.

I'd say a strat is more versatile then a les paul, and you (can) get a similar sound, it won't be exact but you can stil play it.

For the price range, strats seem like the good way to go. Epi's quality wise, aren't as good.

:/

Nope. The Les Paul is fatter and warmer, and the Strat's brighter and, well, Stratier!

The only way you can really get a similar sound is if you use a HSS Strat, so yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
True but with the right effects :/ You can't get the exact sound, but it's good enough.
Just get a mix between a Les Paul and Strat. Like a PRS, or Ibanez S series
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Yeah I really like the PRS SE custom but its a little out of my price range at the moment because I still need to buy an amp. How much do the Ibanez S series usually run?
A Mexican HSS strat of some sort should do you well.

Also, at that price range, look to second-hand to get the best guitar you can.